Solution: WPA problem with wireless card

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
December 15, 2004 8:03:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware, alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

If you are experiencing problems getting a WiFi card configured to use
WPA where WPA support is via a supplicant then I hope this post might
save you the hours I wasted trying to get it working.

You will need to download a WPA supplicant. If you are using D-Link
equipment you can get the supplicant from the D-Link website or you can
purchase one from a couple of software houses.

You will also need WPA support in Windows. If after you install the
supplicant and you go to the Wireless Network Configuration dialog
(check the 'Use windows to configure my wireless network settings' box
first) and on the Wireless Networks tab you see options for WPA then
there is nothing more to install and you can configure WPA and away you
go.

If on the other hand there are no WPA settings on that page then you
will need to install a Microsoft patch to add WPA support to Windows.
If you are using Win XP sp2 then download Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe
from Microsoft and install that. I think there is a patch for Win 2k
but you will need to check. You should now see WPA support in the
Wireless Networks tab.

Hope this helps someone...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 15, 2004 8:06:16 PM

Bad advice. Windows XP SP2 does not need any update to provide WPA
support. Most cards support WPA-PSK via drivers under XP SP2 without
the need of an additional supplicant. Some of the older DLink cards
may require this, but not the newer ones. There is no W2K patch to
enable native support for WPA available from Microsoft.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

"Bad advice" - nice and diplomatic. But yes, I stand corrected on both
points. The patch only applies to sp1 not sp2 and is not available for
Win 2000.

....Graeme

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] wrote:
> Bad advice. Windows XP SP2 does not need any update to provide WPA
> support. Most cards support WPA-PSK via drivers under XP SP2 without
> the need of an additional supplicant. Some of the older DLink cards
> may require this, but not the newer ones. There is no W2K patch to
> enable native support for WPA available from Microsoft.
>
> On 15 Dec 2004 05:03:53 -0800, "VirtualGraeme" <gjfrew@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >If you are experiencing problems getting a WiFi card configured to
use
> >WPA where WPA support is via a supplicant then I hope this post
might
> >save you the hours I wasted trying to get it working.
> >
> >You will need to download a WPA supplicant. If you are using D-Link
> >equipment you can get the supplicant from the D-Link website or you
can
> >purchase one from a couple of software houses.
> >
> >You will also need WPA support in Windows. If after you install the
> >supplicant and you go to the Wireless Network Configuration dialog
> >(check the 'Use windows to configure my wireless network settings'
box
> >first) and on the Wireless Networks tab you see options for WPA then
> >there is nothing more to install and you can configure WPA and away
you
> >go.
> >
> >If on the other hand there are no WPA settings on that page then you
> >will need to install a Microsoft patch to add WPA support to
Windows.
> >If you are using Win XP sp2 then download
Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe
> >from Microsoft and install that. I think there is a patch for Win 2k
> >but you will need to check. You should now see WPA support in the
> >Wireless Networks tab.
> >
> >Hope this helps someone...
>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)
a b F Wireless
December 17, 2004 9:05:27 AM

Actually that patch # you quoted for SP1 was superseceded by a newer
one (826942).

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I have this same problem when I tried to implement WPA. I downloaded the
patch below, but said I have a later version of the file, running XP Pro
SP2.
Have a Dell 1350 wireless card going to a Linksys Wireless WKPC54G Router.
WPA will work initially, but eventually will not be able to connect, and
have to change the settings back to WEP.

"VirtualGraeme" <gjfrew@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you are experiencing problems getting a WiFi card configured to use
> WPA where WPA support is via a supplicant then I hope this post might
> save you the hours I wasted trying to get it working.
>
> You will need to download a WPA supplicant. If you are using D-Link
> equipment you can get the supplicant from the D-Link website or you can
> purchase one from a couple of software houses.
>
> You will also need WPA support in Windows. If after you install the
> supplicant and you go to the Wireless Network Configuration dialog
> (check the 'Use windows to configure my wireless network settings' box
> first) and on the Wireless Networks tab you see options for WPA then
> there is nothing more to install and you can configure WPA and away you
> go.
>
> If on the other hand there are no WPA settings on that page then you
> will need to install a Microsoft patch to add WPA support to Windows.
> If you are using Win XP sp2 then download Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe
> from Microsoft and install that. I think there is a patch for Win 2k
> but you will need to check. You should now see WPA support in the
> Wireless Networks tab.
>
> Hope this helps someone...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 20, 2004 1:32:52 AM

"Ken Hymes" <khymes@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I have this same problem when I tried to implement WPA. I downloaded the
>patch below, but said I have a later version of the file, running XP Pro
>SP2.
> Have a Dell 1350 wireless card going to a Linksys Wireless WKPC54G Router.
> WPA will work initially, but eventually will not be able to connect, and
> have to change the settings back to WEP.

Well the dell card is fine. Though I could only get the dell card to work
with wpa on my access point(belkin) but using the dell wireless utility and
not the windows wireless utilty.

Daniel
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 20, 2004 8:49:22 AM

You probably should take your issue to DSLreports.com and post in one
of the Linksys threads there for more help, but typically the problem
you have just described is sometimes solved by changing the key
renewal interval on the Linksys router.

My corporate Dell laptop has the 1350 card and it connects fine with
SP2 using WPA and in fact I use VPN every day over a Microsoft MN-700
to connect to the corp LAN.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

This procedure has worked so far (3 days) multiple re-boots and put in
standby mode a few times
If you are running Windows XP, go into Device Manger, expand the
listings for Network Adapters, double click on the wireless adapter or
controller and
select Properties from the drop-down menu. Go the Power Management tab
and make sure the box is not checked next to "All the computer to turn
off this device to save power".
!