dudek

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
I posted this (beneath) a couple of weeks ago and received some answers mainly focusing on the fan heat (thanks all of you trying to help me out!). Since then I've discovered that the freezings mainly occurs while using programs like Quicktime, Windows Mediaplayer, or visiting websites that uses Flash or Shockwave in their presentation. Hell, my computer should handle that, shouldn't it? Ant it should all be perfectly upgraded considering patches and drives etc... and the fan seem going fine... So, is my computer jinxed?
Merry Christmas to all of you!

Hi!
It seems like people here are far more skilled than I am. Since I bought my new computer a couple of months ago it tends to hang for some reason. Finally I freaked out and turned it over to my dealer, who is very nice, and I spent my last money from my student loan to have it fixed. They searched it for problems and claimed that the installation was faulty and did it for me with patches and upgrades and all. I went home, and of course it crashed. But not as often as before. But still. I cant c-alt-del, the only thing I can do is reset, it freezes totally without explanations. I've uninstalled everything that isn't necessary, like webcam and gaming controls and such... nothing seems to help.
What crap I'm using? No, it should be quite ok:
athlon t-bird 1,4 ghz, soltek 75drv, geforce 2 pro, 256 mb ddr, on win 98. Of course I'm turning it in again, but someone here might be able to tell if my computer is cursed or if the reason for the hang ups can be found...

Check your power supply sticker, and see if it's at least 300 watts, then go to amd's website and click on technical support and locate the listings for power supplies, and see if your's is on their list. If not, consider an upgrade to sparkle, enermax, antec, etc. Also, check to see if your case has a fan in front and one in back to remove heat. I had a problem with the video driver that came with my gainward ti 500, and had to change to the generic nvidia driver on their website. The other possibility is changing operating systems. I didn't see your earlier post, so I don't know what system you are using. I saw some improvement with a bios upgrade recently. That may also help you, if one is available. If you feel that you have exhausted all of these and other possibilities, I would rma the mobo and get something else in your price range. I use the shuttle ak31 version 3.1 ($80 newegg) strictly for price.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's most likely either the power supply, heat, or the memory giving you problems. Power and heat can be checked on most systems with monitoring software provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
What os are you using and what videocard/drivers.

the 23.11's from nvidia which are betas have issues with some via chipsets and windows xp.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!