Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Blue Screen & Restart

Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2013 1:39:48 AM

Hey guys. I put together a build a few months ago and everything has been working perfectly. However, a few days ago, after logging in and walking away from my computer for a bit, I came back to the original login screen. Thinking it was setting thing, I messed with those. But it happened a few more times after that. Today, I was sitting by the computer letting it idle, and it happened again, but I saw a the culprit: a blue screen. It went away before I could read all of it. It said that it was shutting down to prevent damage to my computer. It said to check any hardware and such for malfunctions. Thinking it may have been a PSU issue since I have a generic Best Buy PSU, I ran a 1.5 hour OCCT stress test, and it was fine.

I'm currently running a memory diagnostic to see what the deal with this computer might be and will report back the results when I have them. In the mean time, does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on, and what I should be looking into? Thanks!

I'm running G.SKILL Value Series 8GB RAM, AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz CPU, ECS A885GM-A2 Motherboard, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit Graphics, Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB SATA Hard drive.
February 13, 2013 3:57:02 AM

You Might want to Test your Hard Drives as well. Also Take out your video Card and plug your monitor into the Onboar Graphics and run your system as well to see if the problem occurs again.
February 13, 2013 4:36:43 AM

Memory test returned no issues after a 2 pass, extended test. I'll try the graphics and hard drives next tomorrow morning and report back.
Related resources
February 14, 2013 12:41:09 AM

So after some more testing after work today, looks like my main drive is corrupt. I'm running CHKDSK right now to see if that will fix anything, but if it doesn't, what are my options to go from here? I don't think it has any physical damage, because I'm not hearing any clicks or anything
February 14, 2013 1:56:43 AM

Additionally, could my mobo be causing this? I've heard bad things about this board failing after a few months
February 14, 2013 4:50:33 AM

Glad to hear you have figured out which component was causing the issue. Most likely the problem was just a faulty Hard drive and not caused by your motherboard. sometime you wont be hearing any clickings and it simply can be a PCB thats failed.
!