Begging for help

G

For various reason that arent applicable to this question I made the jump from being an Intel boy to getting an AMD chip. So I bought a AMD Athlon XP 1600+ and a Soltek SL-75KAV motherboard.

Quite simply it doesnt work

First of all I dont get any post beeps from the motherboard at all. I have tested the case speaker and it is fine, all its connections to the mobo all seem to be fine aswell - this is the config :

There are 4 pins allocated to the speaker:
Pin 1 - Speaker Signal
Pin 2 - None
Pin 3 - GND
Pin 4 - Vcc

I have tried just about every feasible configuration, but no post beeps, I currently have black to 1 and red to 3.

Secondly the processor, I have a really bad feeling I may have blown the chip, when I first booted the machine I didnt change any settings at all for the FSB & Multiplier (the board doesnt seem auto detect and is set to 200mhz FSB & 6.0x by default) - the Athlon XP chip (AFAIK) runs at 266 FSB and according to an info sheet on the mobo should run at a 10.5x multiplier - I tried this config and this doesnt work either. The reason I "think" I may have blown the chip is that there is a slight smell of "burnt" coming from it (even after it has been powered down and removed from the mobo) and also the "void if removed" sticker on the underside has a slight brown tinge to it now (which is didnt have before) - The heat sink fan was seated securely and had a good seal and the fan did spin up everytime I powered - With regard to auto detection of settings there is a jumper on the mobo called "Frequency Ratio Select" this can be either on or off - on (I think) means that it will auto detect the muliplier from the Frequency ID signals sent from the mobo.

Thirdly I dont get any video output from the mobo (monitor stays at "no signal"), I have tried multiple video cards (all AGP as I dont have any PCI cards) and nothing.

Does anybody have any suggestions at all on these problems??<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by WiseBuddha on 12/22/01 07:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

It just dawned on me HSF = Heat Sink fan

Answer is yes, I was so careful with it, def seated properly and def spinning up, and there was good contact.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
You changed your mobo and cpu.
You have the same case and power supply, then.
The psu can easely be the culprit.
If possible do try another.
By the way, what is that psu ?

Danny

Electric coolaid for everyone, except me, never touch the stuff !