Strange Freezing Problem

Bedwards923

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hey guys. I have a newly built system with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, i5 3570 CPU, Radeon 7870 graphics card and 8 GB of RAM. I re-used my PSU which is an OCZGSX600 (600W power supply). I am getting a strange freezing problem occasionally. However, it happens mainly when I am playing games or watching videos on Youtube. The computer will freeze up for about a second or two, the audio will skip, and then it will be fine. It will do it about 5 times, then it goes back to normal. I have all the latest drivers, and I am lost as to what is going on. I checked my CPU temps during gaming, and they are around 53 degrees Celsius on a stock cooler. The problem has occured during normal use (such as internet browsing) as well, but it isn't as common. Any ideas? Thanks.

start with the mb bios make sure you have all the updates for it. check that your hard drive and ssd if you have one are on the intel sata ports and there set to achi mode. check your anti virus software some old software can have issue with newer windows 7 and 8. if your anti virus engine is old uninstall it and install one of the newer free anti virus engines. also run hd tune and vendor tests tools see if the drive is fine.

Bedwards923

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I updated the MB BIOS today, and I also noticed that the Realtek audio drivers that come on the ASRock setup disc were not installed, so I installed those are well. I'm not sure what you mean about checking to make sure my hard drive is on the intel SATA port and set to ACHI mode. I have AVG Free Anti-Virus software. It's newly updated. I will see if I can find a tool to test the hard drive and RAM.

Bedwards923

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
After the things I did, I am still having the same problem while gaming or watching videos. I tested the hard drive with HD Tune and it said the drive was good. I don't really know what to do.

I know you mentioned that your CPU tempts were within normal range but what about your GPU temps?

Download GPU-Z, or HWInfo, to see what the temps are on your card when the computer is under load and during normal usage. This may help identify the problem.

I would also recommend running something like Prime95 or memtest86+ (like Dude604) recommended to see if it makes the system hiccup.