Format

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2001
I have just purchased a P4 1.7Ghz processor and a Gigabyte GA-8IDXH motherboard. The CPU temperature Ranges from 40¢ªC-60¢ªC on load. What i would like to know is if this temperature is okay or if it is too hot, especially for a P4

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Sounds like normal P4 temps with a retail HSF. You could probably get it lower though.

First thing I'd do is make sure you have sufficient case fans. One intake fan in the front is a necessity; an exhaust fan in the back is definitely a good thing to have. A dual-fan PSU would help, and some cases come with additional fan cutouts in the side panel and the top. More fans mean more noise, though, so balance your cooling needs with your decibel needs.

Another thing I've noted is that some of Intel's retail HSF's use a crummy thermal pad on the bottom. This is best cleaned off and replaced with thermal grease.

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Hey, it doesn't matter HOW hot it gets! Intel Pentium 4s have THERMAL PROTECTION, that makes them impervious to any and all heat emergencies! So don't worry! Take the HSF off when you're playing games! Turn the heat all the way up, even during summer! Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees, then put the tower in the stove and start doing some video editing! You're all set! Don't believe me? Ask FUGGER, AMDMeltdown, or Intel_Inside!

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<i>Take the HSF off when you're playing games! Turn the heat all the way up, even during summer! Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees, then put the tower in the stove and start doing some video editing! You're all set! Don't believe me? Ask FUGGER, AMDMeltdown, or Intel_Inside!</i>

As much as people do not agree with my opinions on this baord I would never give someone false and rediculous advice like this.

In the words of a famous troll on this board:

Run along little troll.

<i>AMD's thermal protection: as seen in tom's burning chip video</i>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
PLEASE! Don't put it in an oven. That was only a joke. Your temps are ok but you could install a better hsf to bring it down lower, that is, if you are using the retail hsf that came with it. What is the room temp?

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If you thought he was serious you need to have your labotomy checked intel_inside.

PS: thanks for the famous troll quote, coming from you that means "famous accurate unbiased guy" which I really appreciate.

Of course, you can run along now.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!