HOW TO UPGRADE GRAPHICS ON A DELL INSPIRON 1100

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesar03

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2003
Does anyone know?
I called dell tech support to ask if i could upgrade the video card . they said that i couldnt sice the graphic card is integrated.but they told me that i could buy an external card 64 MB
I asked him for model # and where it connects but he said he couldnt reveal the part number. he did say something about a "AMD" card,he also told me it would cost me about 100 bucks.
Does anyone know anything about such thing and where i could buy it cheaper.
THANX!!!!!!!!!!!!

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
well that's just wierd.

The Inspiron 1100 only has an integrated graphics solution. However, it uses the same chassis as its bigger brothers the 5100 and 5150 which DO have separate graphics cards. The system board is probably much different, between the 1100 and the 5100, so I doubt you would be able to upgrade your graphics.

Dell techs are stupid, it wouldn't cost you a 100bucks, and it wouldn't have anything to do with AMD (Probably meant ATI). Unfortunately, you can't buy Dell graphics cards anywhere but from Dell - and perhaps ebay if you are lucky.

You might want to open up your notebook and see whether or not you could shove in a new gcard (although I am quite sure that you can't), in which case this link might help:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/ins5100/sm/palmrest.htm#1105923.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

fadumpt

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I'm sure this thread is probably a decade old but I just opened up an 1100 and an 1150 after gutting a dead 5150.

The 1150 only had a shadow of the connector for a graphics card.

The 1100 actually had a connector and what looked like a little dummy card to fill the space.
I tried putting the FX5200 32MB from the 5150 in to that space and it wouldn't display anything on the screen.

Not sure if there is something else I have to do but 1100/1150 (maybe just some) have the physical ability to add another graphics card...support may be turned off for it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.