Dancing with the Shadows from Races of Eberron

The kalashtar tactical feat, is that what it's called?

What is it like? Who can get the most benefit out of it? Is it geared
towards soulknives and monks, or is it good for straight fighters too?

Also, are there any other Combat Expertise-based tactical feats out
there?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> The kalashtar tactical feat, is that what it's called?

Dancing With Shadows, but you were close. ;)

> What is it like? Who can get the most benefit out of it? Is it geared
> towards soulknives and monks, or is it good for straight fighters too?

First thing is they're not kidding about the dancing - it requires 8 ranks of
Perform (dance). Its prerequisite feat, Path Of Shadows, gives a Tumble bonus
and allows a Perform (dance) check instead of a Concentration check to cast or
manifest defensively. Now, soulknives have no psionics powers, but kalashtar
soulknives with the substitution levels in Races of Eberron *do* have Perform as
a class skill, so it's a bit of a toss-up. It looks like kalashtar bards would
get the best end of this particular stick - unless your soulknife or monk spent
the cross-class ranks and/or multiclassed with a real casting/manifesting class.

Basically, the three uses of the tactical feat involve getting a bonus on Will
saves, getting a one-attack bonus on attack rolls, and getting your Combat
Expertise (or fighting defensively) bonus to AC for an extra round after you
stop "using" it (and taking the attack penalty) for 2 rounds.

All of these things work by using *either* Combat Expertise or fighting
defensively - Combat Expertise isn't a prerequisite.

> Also, are there any other Combat Expertise-based tactical feats out
> there?

Not that I can point to off the top of my head. I'd be curious to know if anyone
other than Wizards was writing them - I think they're an excellent addition to
the game, as are weapon style feats. Complete Warrior contains some real gems.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
danger. It works the same in any country.

mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid wrote:

> > The kalashtar tactical feat, is that what it's called?
>
> Dancing With Shadows, but you were close. ;)
>
> > What is it like? Who can get the most benefit out of it? Is it geared
> > towards soulknives and monks, or is it good for straight fighters too?
>
> First thing is they're not kidding about the dancing - it requires 8 ranks of
> Perform (dance).

All right...

> Its prerequisite feat, Path Of Shadows, gives a Tumble bonus
> and allows a Perform (dance) check instead of a Concentration check to cast or
> manifest defensively.

All right!

A bard could have lots of fun with this and Snowflake Wardance.

> Now, soulknives have no psionics powers, but kalashtar
> soulknives with the substitution levels in Races of Eberron *do* have Perform as
> a class skill, so it's a bit of a toss-up. It looks like kalashtar bards would
> get the best end of this particular stick -

Do you need to be a kalashtar to take the feats? I understand that it's
a kalashtar style, but is being a kalashtar an actual prerequisite?

> unless your soulknife or monk spent
> the cross-class ranks and/or multiclassed with a real casting/manifesting class.
>
> Basically, the three uses of the tactical feat involve getting a bonus on Will
> saves, getting a one-attack bonus on attack rolls, and getting your Combat
> Expertise (or fighting defensively) bonus to AC for an extra round after you
> stop "using" it (and taking the attack penalty) for 2 rounds.
>
> All of these things work by using *either* Combat Expertise or fighting
> defensively - Combat Expertise isn't a prerequisite.

That's nice. There's quite a few feats and class abilities that use
fighting defensively and don't mention about Combat Expertise, which
kind of leaves hanging the question if they can be used with Combat
Expertise too. It's good that DWS makes it explicit.

Still, from what I understand, Combat Expertise seems like a very
worthwhile investment for someone with Dancing With Shadows.

> > Also, are there any other Combat Expertise-based tactical feats out
> > there?
>
> Not that I can point to off the top of my head. I'd be curious to know if anyone
> other than Wizards was writing them - I think they're an excellent addition to
> the game, as are weapon style feats. Complete Warrior contains some real gems.

I was a bit disappointed that the style feats in CW were mostly focused
on TWF, since TWF is a distinctive style in itself. That's not to say
that there shouldn't be TWF style feats, especially since they give some
incentive to fighters to use TWF, but I think it's the plain styles like
sword and shield that could use additional options the most.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid wrote:
>
>> Now, soulknives have no psionics powers, but kalashtar
>> soulknives with the substitution levels in Races of Eberron *do* have
>> Perform as a class skill, so it's a bit of a toss-up. It looks like
>> kalashtar bards would get the best end of this particular stick -
>
> Do you need to be a kalashtar to take the feats? I understand that it's
> a kalashtar style, but is being a kalashtar an actual prerequisite?

You must be a kalashtar to take Path of Shadows; it's one of their [Racial]
feats.

>> unless your soulknife or monk spent
>> the cross-class ranks and/or multiclassed with a real
>> casting/manifesting class.
>>
>> Basically, the three uses of the tactical feat involve getting a bonus
>> on Will saves, getting a one-attack bonus on attack rolls, and getting
>> your Combat Expertise (or fighting defensively) bonus to AC for an
>> extra round after you stop "using" it (and taking the attack penalty)
>> for 2 rounds.
>>
>> All of these things work by using *either* Combat Expertise or fighting
>> defensively - Combat Expertise isn't a prerequisite.
>
> That's nice. There's quite a few feats and class abilities that use
> fighting defensively and don't mention about Combat Expertise, which
> kind of leaves hanging the question if they can be used with Combat
> Expertise too. It's good that DWS makes it explicit.
>
> Still, from what I understand, Combat Expertise seems like a very
> worthwhile investment for someone with Dancing With Shadows.

Yes. It's worth noting that each requires you to use Combat Expertise for at
least -2 to attacks to activate.

>>> Also, are there any other Combat Expertise-based tactical feats out
>>> there?
>>
>> Not that I can point to off the top of my head. I'd be curious to know
>> if anyone other than Wizards was writing them - I think they're an
>> excellent addition to the game, as are weapon style feats. Complete
>> Warrior contains some real gems.
>
> I was a bit disappointed that the style feats in CW were mostly focused
> on TWF, since TWF is a distinctive style in itself. That's not to say
> that there shouldn't be TWF style feats, especially since they give some
> incentive to fighters to use TWF, but I think it's the plain styles like
> sword and shield that could use additional options the most.

I noticed, though, that they were mostly about beefing up inefficient two-weapon
fighting styles - two completely different kinds of weapon, for instance, like
axe and hammer for Anvil of Thunder or two light maces for Lightning Mace, on
the theory that people tend to stick to one weapon for synergy with Weapon Focus
and whatnot and that they tend to prefer two shortswords for the better critical
threat range. The same "make weapons with slightly inferior stats more
attractive" theory seems to have prompted Three Mountains, which is about using
two-handed bludgeoning weapons like the heavy mace and greatclub (presumably
instead of the greataxe).

Given that, it doesn't surprise me much that they beef up less attractive
two-weapon fighting styles - it's not *hard* to think of one-handed weapons
which are less worthwhile than the longsword, but sword-and-shield as a fighting
style has different advantages and doesn't demand the "best" weapon as much as
two-weapon fighting and two-handed weapons.

Actually, now that I look at it, Quick Staff relies on Combat Expertise. It adds
+2 to your dodge bonus from Combat Expertise when fighting with a quarterstaff -
so if you take -1 on attacks, you gain +3 to AC.