Sign in with
Your question

Sony Digital Camera not compatible with WinXP

Last response: in CPUs
December 24, 2001 8:01:57 PM

I've got a Sony Digital Video Camera (Model DCR-TRV725E). I can't seem to capture anything with my Windows XP Operating System. The Memory Stick works fine via the USB port, but I cannot Capture Video using the software that Sony provided.

Where can I get updated drivers for Windows XP from? I've checked out Sony website, but they don't have any drivers for Windows XP.

What's going wrong here? Or is it because I don't have a Video Capture Card on my computer?!!!!!!!!! :) 
Can't I just play video using the video capturing software through the USB port?

<font color=blue><i>Mankind must put an end to War,
or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2001 6:13:02 AM

Congratulations, XP is incompatable with all my capture cards, you can have your XP, I'm stable and faster under 98SE.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
December 25, 2001 7:52:07 AM

LoL, there is a downloadable patch on the windows update site which fixes some camera software incomatabilities.
Did you try that?

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
Related resources
December 25, 2001 3:19:20 PM

Most digital video cameras would only capture via a 1394/iLink firewire port or an analogue tv capture card. Certainly you can only download still images via USB with my Sony camera.

You'll need dedicated software to download and capture via 1394/iLink as well.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2001 4:06:01 PM

Sorry, I checked MS site, no drivers for my STB TVPCI, VooDoo TV card, or ATI TV-Wonder. Hmmm, these are fairly common cards! These all have S-Video, RCA-Video, and orfcourse the cable input. I used them for uploading movies from VHS, and ran a loop from my TV-Out to my TV-In for a while to, uh, never mind that, it worked anyway, just not under XP.

December 25, 2001 8:59:45 PM

Crash ncognito said it all, dont blame microsoft that your ancient hardware isnt rushed to support quickly, ESPECIALLY, the voodoo card whos company does not exist anymore.

December 25, 2001 9:11:35 PM

bah! all my cards are up-to-date ones, and i still had problems with winxp. try telling me why xp wanted to use my ieee1394 card for a network adapter and even though there was nothing hooked up to it the time, it wouldn't even let me use my NIC card which my cable modem is hooked up too! don't get me started on all their bs "piggyback" apps. the home edition i can see. but for god sakes why would the corporate version (supposedly aimed at businesses) install messenger, gay-assed moviemaker and a whole arsenal of games? then the only way to properly remove them is go into winnt dir and mod a cfg file so they will show up for uninstall. that might not be a big deal for some, but i'm anal about that stuff and i cannot stand having useless, unwanted apps installed on my comp. w2k is just that and only that....w2k.

[insert philosophical statement here]
December 25, 2001 9:14:41 PM

Thanks for the info Matisaro, i'll try that and see what happens.

Thanks to Peteb as well. :) 

<font color=blue><i>Mankind must put an end to War,
or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2001 9:42:31 PM

I don't care who's fault it is, if I can't use my hardware on the OS I can't use the OS. Else I would use Linux! what about the ATI TV-Wonder? What about my modem?

a b à CPUs
December 25, 2001 9:44:53 PM

Gotcha on the TV-Wonder, they hadn't released a driver yet as of a month or so ago when I sold it, keeping the TVPCI instead for it's FM capability.

December 25, 2001 10:06:06 PM

LOL, well it is Ati we are talking about......Is it any wonder there drivers were a bit late to the table. But none-the-less they do exist at least now. As with any new OS by M$ we are sure to see some growing pains, win2k, now a great OS was hardly a painless transformation in itself.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!
December 25, 2001 10:12:40 PM

Quote:
but for god sakes why would the corporate version (supposedly aimed at businesses) install messenger, gay-assed moviemaker and a whole arsenal of games?

LOL, so you have morpheus and or another of its clones I see. And now that you have downloaded/pirated a free copy you even have the nerve to bash it? Now bear in mind I am making a presumption that this is what you did and not paid the thousands that would cost for a corporate version. You do realize that what makes the corporate version differnt is the ability to apply it across many PC's without the activation don't you? Other than that it is the same as the pro version. What you are refering to as being aimed at business's and servers would be the business edition or advanced server not the pro version.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!
December 25, 2001 11:22:04 PM

Dunno about games and Movie Maker, but isn't the Windows Messenger needed for some Remote Access features? When my friend and I toyed around with it over the net, that's what we used to connect with.
December 26, 2001 2:37:56 AM

Perhaps you didnt realize that you can select not to install the games and movie maker when you setup windows xp.

As for messenger, that is integrated into the os/ie6, and also if you turn it off at startup it does in NO WAY affect your computing experience.

Windows xp is trying to be a home os, even the corporate version is the home os with more features.

Your network card issue is a new one, did you use the final version of xp, and if so, try removing the firewire port, installing the cable network and then reinstalling the firewire, to ensure your nic is the default.

a b à CPUs
December 26, 2001 3:26:57 AM

They never had a Win2k driver either, and the NT driver relied on working with an older ATI video card!

December 26, 2001 3:56:43 AM

if it doesn't have win2k drivers then it just sucks

<i>AMD's thermal protection: as seen in tom's burning chip video</i>
December 26, 2001 4:02:15 AM

well whatever version my buddy has, he swore it was the release. i was almost postive that there was no options to not install those things. oh well, it doesn't bother me, i made my mind up after a day of back to w2k. a friend got it from who knows where and i wanted to check it out. so no i didn't download it from anywhere, wtf is morpheus?

[insert philosophical statement here]
December 26, 2001 4:31:51 PM

If one is coming from win2k I can see the logic in not going to xp, the benifits dont outweigh the small but present detriments.

9x is another thing all together.

a b à CPUs
December 26, 2001 5:53:30 PM

ATI considered 2k to be a professional OS at the time, and the TV-Wonder to be a home PC card.

!