Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Here's my problem:

My computer has been running Half-Life, Max Payne, and pretty much every other game out there for some time now perfectly. Just lately (within the last 3 days), I have been getting numerous problems with Half-Life (random error of HL.exe committing an error) and other problems with my games and such. To try and diagnose this, I ruled out the video card (ran 3DMark2001 to stress it several times). Then I ran SiSoft Sandra to see if in it's benchmarks, an error would come up due to faulty hardware possibility. This was to no avail. Finally I have downclocked my system from 133(266)MHz FSB to 100(200)MHz, which set my CPU at 1050MHz. Now everything seems to run fine for the most part. I have gotten intermittant errors, but nowhere near as many as before.

Seeing this tells me it must be a problem with either the RAM or the CPU then. I was first set on it being a CPU problem, but I am open to all options. Now I am questioning it being a RAM problem more. My RAM was never able to run at CL 2.5 (extreme amounts of data loss and such), and I am now wondering about it's integrity and whether it was "good" RAM or not.

Also, shortly before these problems started, I upgraded my NVidia and Via 4-1 from 21.81 and 4.36 respectively. Both I installed in my usual fashion.

Advice or solutions are needed please.

System Specs:

Asus A7M266
Athlon 1.4GHz (266FSB)
PC2100 DDR RAM
Maxtor 7200RPM HD
Visiontek GeForce 3
AC-97 Audio
Creative PC-DVD 12X
HP 8/4/32 CD-RW

Software Specs:

Windows 2000 w/Service Pack 2
Via 4-1 4.37 (minus Via AGP Driver)
NVidia V23.11
All Windows Update Critical Updates/Security Fixes

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
No one has any ideas? Come on people, this is bugging me. I would like to use my system to it's full potential again.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

G

You tried going back to 21.81 Det drivers? Since this is the only thing you changed, isn't it the obviuos reason? If your drivers were working fine, why did you mess up with them at all?

If its only games you have problems, thats definately due to your drivers. You don't have any problems with other Windows applications? Then it can't be the CPU.

When you reduce the FSB, did you increase the AGP/PCI divider? I mean is you AGP bus still at 66MHz?

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
I agree that the most logical step would be to reinstall the original drivers. It seems ridiculous to downgrade your system by lowering the FSB thus lose important performance potential. I would also try downloading the most up to date bios from your motherboard manufacturer this can often solve stability probs especially where the AGP bus is concerned.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Aparently theres problems with the 23.11 Video Card drivers........So i;d recoemnd going back tot he old ones (like Ilker said) and see what happens.....if thats nto it, it's probably your ram leik you ssupect, borrow a friends DIMM and see if that makes a difference.......btu first go back to your previous display drivers......

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

Whenever you change drivers, be sure to uninstall the old driver first using the uninstall feature of the software or add/remove programs in the control panel and reboot, then install the new driver.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Thanx for the suggestions. I will proceed with the following steps, and see how it goes:

#1 Un-install/Re-install NVidia Drivers

Assuming #1 didn't work:

#2 Reinstall Older 22.xx or 21.xx series drivers
#3 Check RAM

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
It is the 23.11's they have issues with windows nt and via chipsets(and they are beta drivers no less), go back to 21.83 after using detonator destroyer.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Thanx, but I found this out shortly before your post. I just went back to the 21.81 (All I could find), and my problems have disappeared.

Damn you NVidia.

Damn you.

Thanx again guys for all the help.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
if your still having problems, use this to rule out/in your ram.
www.memtest86.com

run it for 5 hours or so at your usual settings.
its very good.

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!