Inspiron 7K keyboard weirdness

Hi all,

I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's acting
weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar results
with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be working all
right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so with
right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll lock
aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this problem.
Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could have had
a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks for your time.
--
Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA 29.30N 82.52W

---

if it is a new spare part from dell then it has a 90 day warranty and 30 day
money back... ask for a replacement. if the replacement also demonstrates
problems then it is likely the connector on the motherboard itself. you can
not really over tighten the screws on the bottom... but if you leave them
loose then they will work themselves free and go missing over time. i
wonder what made you replace the keyboard in the first place... similar
erratic behavior or just a cosmetic concern? if it was for cosmetic reasons
then put back the old board to confirm that it is not the system.

"Louie" <louiethelizard@flies.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's acting
> weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar
results
> with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be working
all
> right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so
with
> right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll
lock
> aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this
problem.
> Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could have
had
> a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
> Thanks for your time.
> --
> Louie
> Chiefland, FL, USA 29.30N 82.52W
> (eat the flies to email)
>

> ---

Hi Chris. The replacement was from parts-people.com. Replaced because I
was getting a keyboard error on boot-up with the original. Have tried an
external keyboard with no problems (both before and after replacement).
Even checked the numbers on the back to be sure they were the same. FWIW:

Model:V611
Domestic
Made In China
Bar Code
14982-8CC-1143
DP/N 0006833C Rev.A02

I'll see about getting a replacement (has 30 day warranty). Thanks. <g>
--

> if it is a new spare part from dell then it has a 90 day warranty and 30
day
> money back... ask for a replacement. if the replacement also
demonstrates
> problems then it is likely the connector on the motherboard itself. you
can
> not really over tighten the screws on the bottom... but if you leave them
> loose then they will work themselves free and go missing over time. i
> wonder what made you replace the keyboard in the first place... similar
> erratic behavior or just a cosmetic concern? if it was for cosmetic
reasons
> then put back the old board to confirm that it is not the system.
>
> "Louie" <louiethelizard@flies.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's acting
> > weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar
> results
> > with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be working
> all
> > right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so
> with
> > right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll
> lock
> > aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this
> problem.
> > Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could have
> had
> > a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
> > Thanks for your time.
<snip>

---

Hi all.
I've solved my problem! <g> Took keyboard out and booted machine with Dell
Diag disk. Did keyboard test. First test has you press keys in a specific
order. All checked out OK. Second test allowed you to press keys in any
order. Found out that when I pressed the "Escape" key, the "Q" key was also
pressed. Same for "H" when I got "HU" and so on. What I did next (which I
highly *don't* recommend) was with machine on, in keyboard diag mode,
keyboard out but ribbon cable inserted, was to *very, very gently* wiggle
the ribbon cable to the right. Voila'! Fixed my problem! Loose connection
is all it was. <bg> Laptop is working great! Again, and I emphasize, I
*do not* recommend doing this with power on, keyboard out. I just got lucky
that I didn't get a short, but it was my last resort. Thanks for the
replies! <g>
--

> Hi Chris. The replacement was from parts-people.com. Replaced because I
> was getting a keyboard error on boot-up with the original. Have tried an
> external keyboard with no problems (both before and after replacement).
> Even checked the numbers on the back to be sure they were the same. FWIW:
>
> Model:V611
> Domestic
> Made In China
> Bar Code
> 14982-8CC-1143
> DP/N 0006833C Rev.A02
>
> I'll see about getting a replacement (has 30 day warranty). Thanks. <g>
> --
> Louie
> Chiefland, FL, USA 29.30N 82.52W
> (eat the flies to email)
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > if it is a new spare part from dell then it has a 90 day warranty and 30
> day
> > money back... ask for a replacement. if the replacement also
> demonstrates
> > problems then it is likely the connector on the motherboard itself. you
> can
> > not really over tighten the screws on the bottom... but if you leave
them
> > loose then they will work themselves free and go missing over time. i
> > wonder what made you replace the keyboard in the first place... similar
> > erratic behavior or just a cosmetic concern? if it was for cosmetic
> reasons
> > then put back the old board to confirm that it is not the system.
> >
> > "Louie" <louiethelizard@flies.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's
acting
> > > weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar
> > results
> > > with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be
working
> > all
> > > right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so
> > with
> > > right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll
> > lock
> > > aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this
> > problem.
> > > Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could
have
> > had
> > > a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
> > > Thanks for your time.
> <snip>
>

> ---

well done. you may just have a dirty connector on the motherboard side.
you could try some electronic cleaner from radio shack to clear it out
(while unplugged and without battery installed). or just keep this in mind
should it act up again.

> [...]
> > > if it is a new spare part from dell then it has a 90 day warranty and
30
> > day
> > > money back... ask for a replacement. if the replacement also
> > demonstrates
> > > problems then it is likely the connector on the motherboard itself.
you
> > can
> > > not really over tighten the screws on the bottom... but if you leave
> them
> > > loose then they will work themselves free and go missing over time. i
> > > wonder what made you replace the keyboard in the first place...
similar
> > > erratic behavior or just a cosmetic concern? if it was for cosmetic
> > reasons
> > > then put back the old board to confirm that it is not the system.

Will do, Chris. The keyboard *had* been out for a while before I could
obtain a new one. I remember at the time spraying cleaner in the connector
then. I should have done it again before installing the new one. <sigh>
Lesson learned! <g>
--

> well done. you may just have a dirty connector on the motherboard side.
> you could try some electronic cleaner from radio shack to clear it out
> (while unplugged and without battery installed). or just keep this in mind
> should it act up again.
<snip>

kringle

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
This worked for me too. I was having major keyboard probs on my Inspiron E1505 (including a non-responsive enter key, making a diagnostic impossible). I read this post and decided what the heck, I'll try it. Removed keyboard, disconnected it, reconnected and booted with keyboard still loose. At first, the same keys were having the same problems, but when I just moved the keyboard a little to the right, suddenly all was well! snapped her back in and so far so good. Thanks!