Inspiron 7K keyboard weirdness

Hi all,

I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's acting
weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar results
with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be working all
right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so with
right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll lock
aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this problem.
Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could have had
a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks for your time.
--
Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA 29.30N 82.52W

---
More about inspiron keyboard weirdness

    if it is a new spare part from dell then it has a 90 day warranty and 30 day
    money back... ask for a replacement. if the replacement also demonstrates
    problems then it is likely the connector on the motherboard itself. you can
    not really over tighten the screws on the bottom... but if you leave them
    loose then they will work themselves free and go missing over time. i
    wonder what made you replace the keyboard in the first place... similar
    erratic behavior or just a cosmetic concern? if it was for cosmetic reasons
    then put back the old board to confirm that it is not the system.

    "Louie" <louiethelizard@flies.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's acting
    > weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar
    results
    > with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be working
    all
    > right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so
    with
    > right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll
    lock
    > aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this
    problem.
    > Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could have
    had
    > a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
    > Thanks for your time.
    > --
    > Louie
    > Chiefland, FL, USA 29.30N 82.52W
    > (eat the flies to email)
    >

    > ---

    Hi Chris. The replacement was from parts-people.com. Replaced because I
    was getting a keyboard error on boot-up with the original. Have tried an
    external keyboard with no problems (both before and after replacement).
    Even checked the numbers on the back to be sure they were the same. FWIW:

    Model:V611
    Domestic
    Made In China
    Bar Code
    14982-8CC-1143
    DP/N 0006833C Rev.A02

    I'll see about getting a replacement (has 30 day warranty). Thanks. <g>
    --

    > if it is a new spare part from dell then it has a 90 day warranty and 30
    day
    > money back... ask for a replacement. if the replacement also
    demonstrates
    > problems then it is likely the connector on the motherboard itself. you
    can
    > not really over tighten the screws on the bottom... but if you leave them
    > loose then they will work themselves free and go missing over time. i
    > wonder what made you replace the keyboard in the first place... similar
    > erratic behavior or just a cosmetic concern? if it was for cosmetic
    reasons
    > then put back the old board to confirm that it is not the system.
    >
    > "Louie" <louiethelizard@flies.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's acting
    > > weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar
    > results
    > > with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be working
    > all
    > > right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so
    > with
    > > right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll
    > lock
    > > aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this
    > problem.
    > > Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could have
    > had
    > > a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
    > > Thanks for your time.
    <snip>

    ---

    Hi all.
    I've solved my problem! <g> Took keyboard out and booted machine with Dell
    Diag disk. Did keyboard test. First test has you press keys in a specific
    order. All checked out OK. Second test allowed you to press keys in any
    order. Found out that when I pressed the "Escape" key, the "Q" key was also
    pressed. Same for "H" when I got "HU" and so on. What I did next (which I
    highly *don't* recommend) was with machine on, in keyboard diag mode,
    keyboard out but ribbon cable inserted, was to *very, very gently* wiggle
    the ribbon cable to the right. Voila'! Fixed my problem! Loose connection
    is all it was. <bg> Laptop is working great! Again, and I emphasize, I
    *do not* recommend doing this with power on, keyboard out. I just got lucky
    that I didn't get a short, but it was my last resort. Thanks for the
    replies! <g>
    --

    > Hi Chris. The replacement was from parts-people.com. Replaced because I
    > was getting a keyboard error on boot-up with the original. Have tried an
    > external keyboard with no problems (both before and after replacement).
    > Even checked the numbers on the back to be sure they were the same. FWIW:
    >
    > Model:V611
    > Domestic
    > Made In China
    > Bar Code
    > 14982-8CC-1143
    > DP/N 0006833C Rev.A02
    >
    > I'll see about getting a replacement (has 30 day warranty). Thanks. <g>
    > --
    > Louie
    > Chiefland, FL, USA 29.30N 82.52W
    > (eat the flies to email)
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > if it is a new spare part from dell then it has a 90 day warranty and 30
    > day
    > > money back... ask for a replacement. if the replacement also
    > demonstrates
    > > problems then it is likely the connector on the motherboard itself. you
    > can
    > > not really over tighten the screws on the bottom... but if you leave
    them
    > > loose then they will work themselves free and go missing over time. i
    > > wonder what made you replace the keyboard in the first place... similar
    > > erratic behavior or just a cosmetic concern? if it was for cosmetic
    > reasons
    > > then put back the old board to confirm that it is not the system.
    > >
    > > "Louie" <louiethelizard@flies.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's
    acting
    > > > weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar
    > > results
    > > > with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be
    working
    > > all
    > > > right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so
    > > with
    > > > right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll
    > > lock
    > > > aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this
    > > problem.
    > > > Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could
    have
    > > had
    > > > a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
    > > > Thanks for your time.
    > <snip>
    >

    > ---

    well done. you may just have a dirty connector on the motherboard side.
    you could try some electronic cleaner from radio shack to clear it out
    (while unplugged and without battery installed). or just keep this in mind
    should it act up again.

> [...]
    > > > if it is a new spare part from dell then it has a 90 day warranty and
    30
    > > day
    > > > money back... ask for a replacement. if the replacement also
    > > demonstrates
    > > > problems then it is likely the connector on the motherboard itself.
    you
    > > can
    > > > not really over tighten the screws on the bottom... but if you leave
    > them
    > > > loose then they will work themselves free and go missing over time. i
    > > > wonder what made you replace the keyboard in the first place...
    similar
    > > > erratic behavior or just a cosmetic concern? if it was for cosmetic
    > > reasons
    > > > then put back the old board to confirm that it is not the system.

    Will do, Chris. The keyboard *had* been out for a while before I could
    obtain a new one. I remember at the time spraying cleaner in the connector
    then. I should have done it again before installing the new one. <sigh>
    Lesson learned! <g>
    --

    > well done. you may just have a dirty connector on the motherboard side.
    > you could try some electronic cleaner from radio shack to clear it out
    > (while unplugged and without battery installed). or just keep this in mind
    > should it act up again.
    <snip>
  6. This worked for me too. I was having major keyboard probs on my Inspiron E1505 (including a non-responsive enter key, making a diagnostic impossible). I read this post and decided what the heck, I'll try it. Removed keyboard, disconnected it, reconnected and booted with keyboard still loose. At first, the same keys were having the same problems, but when I just moved the keyboard a little to the right, suddenly all was well! snapped her back in and so far so good. Thanks!

    Quote:

Dell Inspiron Keyboards Computers