Doomspeak

It's a bardic feat from Champions of Ruin, in the preview on the WotC
site:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050505b&page=4

Now, I don't have the book, so if someone does (is it even out yet?),
I'd like to know is the save really 10 + character level + Cha (instead
of 1/2 character level)?

If so, it seems a really wicked ability, supposing the bard has some
spellcaster friends ready to take the advantage of the enemy being
crippled with -10(!) to saves.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
    > It's a bardic feat from Champions of Ruin, in the preview on the WotC
    > site: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050505b&page=4
    >
    > Now, I don't have the book, so if someone does (is it even out yet?),
    > I'd like to know is the save really 10 + character level + Cha (instead
    > of 1/2 character level)?

    Yes, the book version is identical to the website version.

    > If so, it seems a really wicked ability, supposing the bard has some
    > spellcaster friends ready to take the advantage of the enemy being
    > crippled with -10(!) to saves.

    Yeah. Either it's an editorial error, or they meant it to work like
    /energy missile/: halfway between a normal saving throw and the
    automatic effects of a magic missile.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    bradd+news@szonye.com wrote:

    > > It's a bardic feat from Champions of Ruin, in the preview on the WotC
    > > site: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050505b&page=4
    > >
    > > Now, I don't have the book, so if someone does (is it even out yet?),
    > > I'd like to know is the save really 10 + character level + Cha (instead
    > > of 1/2 character level)?
    >
    > Yes, the book version is identical to the website version.

    OK, thanks.

    > > If so, it seems a really wicked ability, supposing the bard has some
    > > spellcaster friends ready to take the advantage of the enemy being
    > > crippled with -10(!) to saves.
    >
    > Yeah. Either it's an editorial error, or they meant it to work like
    > /energy missile/: halfway between a normal saving throw and the
    > automatic effects of a magic missile.

    Fascinate also has as similarly difficult to beat save, and some other
    bardic abilities found in PrCs do.

    But doesn't Doomspeak in particular strike you as a bit overpowered if
    the save is such that the ability is almost automatic? I'd take it and
    consider it a good feat even if the save was the standard 10 + 1/2 level
    + stat.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr