Help!!! Building system for the first time

G

I put together a system for the first time last and think I connected everything correctly but still have major problems. When I start up system I know I have power from the motherboard but nothing happens. I installed the video card but the monitor says nothing is connected. Should the fan on the processor spin because nothing happens. the case fans work and the lights for the cd and hard drive come but nothing happens with the system. I am thoroughly confused and would appreciate any suggestions. How would I know if the cpu is doa or fried ?

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
How far do you get into your boot.
What shows up on your screen and if nothing do you get beep codes.

Danny

No Barbie Dolls under the tree this Xmass! :frown:

G

I don't get anywhere, the system comes on but the monitor isn't seeing anything from the computer. I have reseated the video card a few times and nothing. I know the video card works because I removed it from my other system. I can't even shut off the system. I have to unplug it to shut it off.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Well, personnally i have to hit the hay but if i where you i would post a description of your sys and any other pertinent info. I will be online later in the PM.
Good luck
Perhaps close to half the time we have overlooked the obvious:
- cables
- cards
- jumpers
- switches etc

Danny

No Barbie Dolls under the tree this Xmass! :frown:

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
If the video card wasnt seated properly, the system would give beep codes, which you say it doesnt, you also say the CPU fan DOES NOT spin, did u plug it in ? check the conenction ?

Possibility of a Messed up PSU.........ALSO...I don't know if anyone realize's this, BUT if you have an IDE cable on backwards somewhere, the sytem will NOT post, but it will power on (lights, etc.) but wont post......and basically do what your system is doing.......

did u even put your heatsink on right ????

Check these things and post back to us...

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

G

Thanks for the advice, I am going to start over again tonight from scratch and see what happens

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Ok good idea...

Remember.......on the IDE cable...the red wire sticks to the RIGHT........(some Cables dont have notches)...so just match it up on the HArd Drive(s) and Cd-Rom etc. and to the motherboard.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Reset CMOS and try it outside the case to avoid grounding between case's chassis and motherboard.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.