Sign in with
Your question

Lost Windows 7 Recovery CD Some questions...

Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2013 12:43:25 PM

Hi,

I recently moved from Paris to the US and while moving I lost my recovery disk. I wanted to formate my computer and clcikced on recovery manager etc. Then once I wanted to restart the computer which I did the comuter asked me for the recovery CD which I don't have anymore:(  I tried to use my husbands recovery disk as he has the same comouter , but it won't work. I am desperate and dont know what to do. DOes anybody know if I can download this form somewhere on a usb or so and reinstall my computer? Right now its a black screen telling me in white letters to insert the disk.
FYI it is an hp dv6 HP Pavilion g6-1d89wm Notebook PC

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Patricia
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 12:58:45 PM

There should be a hidden partition on your computer that is exactly like your recovery cd. Check the HP website or your user manual to know how to start it (usually you need to press a key like ALT+F10 or something after the BIOS has loaded but I don't know about HP every vendor use a different key so you'll need to check for HP).

If that doesn't work you can also contact HP tech support.
m
l
February 13, 2013 1:00:58 PM

You can also burn the recovery DVDs yourself. In windows click on Start and look for an app in HP folder (something like Management or Backup and Restore)
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2013 1:03:31 PM

Oh man I think I should have asked you guys first. Right now my computer wont let me do anything it is just a black screen with white letters telling me to insert the recovery disc. I am afraid that I need a EUROPEAN windows ?? or can I burn the system on a european cd ? Then I pobably could do it from my husbands computer?

Thanks
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 1:04:59 PM

electrontau said:
You can also burn the recovery DVDs yourself. In windows click on Start and look for an app in HP folder (something like Management or Backup and Restore)

I didn't realize you still have access to Windows. I guess you want to reformat just because it has become slow or unstable. Then as mentioned by electrontau you can create as many Recovery cd as you want using an HP application that should be installed in your Windows. I don't know the name of the software but look for something like HP back-up management or something.

Bonne chance!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 1:05:59 PM

Oh, never mind what I said then. Seems like you don't have access anymore. Have you tried to access the hidden recovery partition as I suggested before?
m
l
February 13, 2013 1:18:23 PM

I didn't try the hidden partition yet but definitely will. UNfortunately I have to run to work now but will definitely check that this afternoon and let you know.
Thanks a lot!!!
m
l
!