Sign in with
Your question

cpu temperature

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2001 9:44:45 PM

Hi

I have an Athlon 900mhz chip with 512ram and geforce 2 graphics card.

Until xmas in only had a 12Gb hard drive'but just got a new 40 Gb one.

Normally my CPU has a temperature between 39-41 degrees'but now has been running up to about 45 degrees.

Now i have been really installing tons and tons of things today getting as many games and software applications on as possible.So i am wondering if that would be the cause of the Temperature rise and not the new hard drive.I've installed perhaps 20 games in a row and also other applications and the pc is constantly needing to reboot etc.

So i'm asking if you think this is causing the temp rise and should settle down once i stop the installing or wether it's the new hard drive.I am using it in tandem with my old 12GB one so perhaps this may also be causing a problem.

One other question?
What is the recommended safe temp for cpu's?
When does it get unsafe?

Thanx

More about : cpu temperature

December 27, 2001 11:27:46 PM

90 % sure that 45 c is still within specs.
The load on your cpu should not be more installing prog than continuous us of some apps. If you start up Q3 for ex and go at it non stop foe 30 min that is a very high load on your cpu. I would guess as much as installing apps.
Check your manual for specs of temp, but does seem ok at first look !

Danny

No Barbie Dolls under the tree this Xmass! :frown:
December 28, 2001 1:58:33 AM

If your new HD is 7200 rpm, it will add more heat to your case. Do you have any fans in your case? Your temp is ok and nothing to worry about.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2001 2:36:00 AM

45C is perfectly normal for an Athlon CPU. Athlon CPUs do run at a slightly higher temperature than Intel CPUs but they are designed to handle the temperatures. Once your system starts hitting the mid 50s then you may want to consider changing your cooling devices. My system idles at 40C and under a load will go up to about 45-50C depending on the air temp. Sometimes I take the side panel off my case and have a large rotating fan blow into my case while I'm doing some extensive gaming to keep my system cool. This usually drops the temp by 10C (although it does look kind of "ghettoish") :) 
December 28, 2001 2:42:38 AM

does your computer crash? no?
THEN DONT WORRY ABOUT IT.

that said:
a new hard drive will add a small amount of heat to your system. depending on how well your case is ventilated, you may se some difference, or none at all.
besides, a cpu will always increase in temp when running at full load.

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!
December 28, 2001 6:23:56 AM

Thanx for all replies guys.

Yeah it's a 7200 rpm hard drive.

but my cpu has'nt been over 45 degrees yet so seems safe enough.

Than again
December 28, 2001 6:35:58 AM

I email the amd site. About my amd athlon 1800 running at 55 to 67c. Thing is My computer has not lock up. When it cold It dont like to start up windows. So my computer on 24/7.

Here what the amd tech told me

Hello,

Thank you for contacting AMD.

Be sure the core voltage setting in the BIOS is set to 1.75V. (which mine was)

The temperature range for Durons, Athlons up to 1GHz, and Athlon XP processors is 0 to 90c or 194f.

And temperature range for Athlon processors 1.1GHz and above are 0 to 95c or 203f.

AMD recommends setting the temperature alarm to 10 degrees less then the maximum in Celsius and 20 to 25 degrees less then the maximum in Fahrenheit. (which my system setup at 70c for the alerm.)

The "normal operating temperature" of a system or a processor is a difficult question to answer. What might be "normal" for one system will not be normal for another. There are many variables in a system that will change the normal operating temperature. Case size, installed components, airflow, processor speed, power supply, voltage settings, heat sink, thermal interface material, workload, ambient air temperature, etc. all play a role in the normal operating temperature for your system and processor.

Also note that the accuracy of the thermal probe, hardware monitor and conversion from an analog signal to digital also impact the actual temperature that is being reported in the BIOS or software.

Therefore, we cannot say what should be "normal" with respect to the operating temperature. Part of the processor specifications includes the maximum operating temperature, which can be determined from the Ordering Part Number (OPN). Please refer to the processor datasheet or our knowledge base for more info on Maximum Operating Temperature. Below is the link to the technical documents, where the Ordering Part Number (OPN) can be found.

http://www.amd.com/support/techdocdir.html

Everything on my system was setup right. I think what inpacts my system is where the case is located. Next to the corner and next to the computer is the 21 inch monitor. So my area always warm. I had no choice on the location. But it makes a good heater.
!