AMD vs INTEL QUIET

G

I'm looking to get a new system to replace my old one.

I have not yet decided on AMD vs INTEL, but it seems they are not too far from each other in terms of performance/stability.

My question is - Which one of them will result in a QUIETER system?

I have very sensitive ears and the hum of my current system sometimes drives me nuts. I want first and foremost, a QUIET system, but I don't want to spend tons of $$$ on weird setups either.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<humor>I would say the AMD system in the case after that you'll probably toss that soundblaster card out the window.</humor> There really is no difference between AMD or Intel. Just avoid the Delta fans.

__
<font color=blue>My hammer has a bigger Hammer than your hammer.</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Pentium III Tulatins produces less heat, so you can use a small and quiet HSF.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Exactly, cpus as such do not hum or rattle. :)
It's all those different fans that make the difference.

Danny

No Barbie Dolls under the tree this Xmass! :frown:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I agree with Pike and Negaverse23. I have an Intel and AMD system and the noise is in the fans. You would be happy with either system containing the stock hsf.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

thanks for the helpfull replies.

Of course I know that the CPU itself makes no noise, but AMD or INTEL cpus use different motherboards and may require different cooling requirements, hence ending up in different noise levels, therefore in an overall sense making one type of CPU resulting in a noisier system everything else being equal.

However, I guess all I need to worry about is to get a decent set of quiet fans.

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unless you plan on overclocking, all that you should need is the hsf on the CPU.

__
<font color=blue>My hammer has a bigger Hammer than your hammer.</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Nope, no special cooling required as long as you don't want to overclock.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
remember Mr Oswars...
with CPU's faster usually means hotter, and hotter typically leads to louder.

if you wanted really quiet, you could get a via processor. very cool, thus easy to keep quiet.

if you plan P4, the stock soloution isnt too bad.
if you want AMD, the stock HSF isnt too bad, plus u could always get something else like a coolermaster HSF.

dont forget though, that cpu cooling is only part of the equation.

a whisper enermax PSU will reduce psu noise to a minimum. low speed casefans can help internal temps alot without adding undually to the noise.
avoid hard drives that whine. most modern 7200rpm ide hard drives are pretty good.
if its still too loud, u can insulate the inside of your case.

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

G

Yeah the vias run real cool, take a look at the new integrated systems they have(not even a heatsink on the processor) But you probably can't do a whole lot with it cause it's still just a crappy cyrix.

<font color=blue><i>Dude!, you're getting a boat anchor!</i></font color=blue>

G

Yuo could try water cooling - I know you said no wierd setups but if you speak to calv I know he set one up - it's really easy apparently.

And silent. no noise - cos theres no fans. And the pump is under the water so no noise from that either.

<b>Please Give Me Back My Old Username</b>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>My question is - Which one of them will result in a QUIETER system?

unlike others in this forum, I understood your question.

the answer is simple: the Intel platform is much more quiet than the other.

with the other system you'll need at least 3 or more extra fans to keep below 90c.

hope this helps!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
AmdMELTDOWN, event houh thats a BIG over-exageration......having case fans would eb the same for the P4 also....yes, the P4 wont burn itself up.......but if it DOES get to that critical temperature....it'll throttle down and become extremely slow....save the CPU yes...btu for normal operation it MAY or MAY NTO require case fans to keep it stable/with-in spec. for normal operation etc. the same goes for the Athlon.......anyways...point proven....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Water cooling systems require fans. It pumps the water from a reservoir, over the CPU, through a radiator, and back into the reservior. Submersed pumps are quieter than non-sumbersed inline pumps. A water cooling setup usually runs quieter becuase you can use a large radiator and a large fan. The larger the fan, the quieter it runs for equivilant CFM air movement.

There are now cases with watercooling built in that are quiet and not that expensive, and much cleaner looking than most cludged together Do-It-Yourself setups.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

eden

Champion
I have always been wondering how come water cooling is so safe???
I mean isn't it usually that water dripping on eletric stuff can cause more fire than conducting cooling???
And just how hard is it to set this up? I can imagine a lot of things to put, but if it cools well and is silent, that is a plus.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

G

Personnaly I have been having a heck of a time trying to get water to burn....

Hah, seriously, I think the whole idea is to just make sure there are no leaks.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
with the other system you'll need at least 3 or more extra fans to keep below 90c.
Lol! My friend has a single HSF (albeit, a loud one), the Volcano 6CU+ on his overclocked Athlon and his maximum temps have never been over 45C. Hmm.....

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Make sure you have no leaks - use distilled water - it won't conduct electricity the same so less damge should occur. (I'm yet to trust that theory though.)

You don't just stick you garden hose through the exhaust fan hole and spray willy nilly. Thats just asking for trouble. Like I said - no leaks and all should be cool (pun - yeah get it?)

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
If you get an athlon XP, use the standard HS, get a well ventilated case (most decient cases are), and an enermax 2 fan PSU, you will get no noticable noise coming from your system.

Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'
Get them posts a goin'
My fingers are swullen
Rawhide!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"My friend has a single HSF (albeit, a loud one), the Volcano 6CU+ on his overclocked Athlon and his maximum temps have never been over 45C. Hmm....."

amd_man it would seem(to me at least) that you have completely misses the whole point of this thread.

a very feeble attempt, imho.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Sure, but the Volcano 6CU provides nearly equal performance but is a lot quieter! My point is NOISE HAS NOTHING TO WITH PLATFORM.

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A water cooling system at its basic level is a water block, which is basically a hollow piece of metal, that you attach to your CPU like a heat sink. Water flows through this, moved by the water pump. All the heat is removed from the system by running the water through a radiator and blowing air over it, just like your car engine. As you can see it is more complex than an air cooled system, and there are more critical points of failure, so I wouldn't say water cooling is exceptionally safe. No water ever directly contacts your components (unless of course you're using a risky <A HREF="http://www.leufkentechnologies.com/images/products/watercooling/blockbottom.jpg" target="_new">direct cooling</A> water block. ) However, if you don't add anti-corrosion/fungus chemicals to your water, your waterblock and/or radiator could become completely clogged, and your water will stop flowing. Most types of water pumps have relatively short lives, also, so there is a chance of failure. If your water stops flowing, your system burns up. One of your hoses could spring a leak or pop free, and you lose all your coolant. At the minimum your CPU fries, but you could also soak other components and fry them as well. When set up properly, these risks are small and acceptable, but I wouldn't recommend it for a novice or anyone that wants to set it up and forget about it. There is also a significant cost cost factor in a water cooling rig that can compete with a normal heatsink/fan. Unless you have local contacts that can get you water pumps and radiators on the cheap, it will cost you well over $100. I spent nearly $300 on my water cooling system and ended up ditching it because it was too much of a hassle to maintain.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-