New spell?

Last response: in Video Games
May 15, 2005 7:09:19 AM

If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
sea), what would it look like? Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
level, restrictions, etc?

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

More about : spell

May 15, 2005 10:38:38 AM

"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
> manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
> sea), what would it look like? Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
> level, restrictions, etc?

You need to try to tailor it after the Haste or Expeditious Retreat spell.
Try
to keep it approximatly equal to those spells. Or maybe the Flight spell.
If it is a mass speed spell (for a ship full of people) it should be either
2 levels higher than the speed spell or have an expensive or rare focus
item.

Swim (based of fly) |Personal Swim (based on
Expeditious Retreat)
Transmutation |
Level Sor/Wiz3, Water 3 |Sor/Wiz1, Water 1
Components V,S,F/DF |V,S
Casting Time 1 standard action |
Range Touch |Personal
Target Creature Touched |You
Duration 1 min/lvl |
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless) | N/A
Spell Resistance Yes (harmless) | N/A

The subject grows webbing between his fingers/toes and
can swim 60 feet (or 40 feet in medium armor or under a
medium load. Heavy armor or heavy load will keep the
subject from getting benefit of the Swim spell until the
load/armor is dropped)
Arcane Focus Scales from an Eel.

There are spells already that can be tweaked for your use. The Haste
spell increases ALL of the subjects modes of transportation. Just
add it to your list of Water spells. If you wish to move a boat with
speed, the Gust of Wind spell can be tweaked for it. Or polymorph
spells and shapeshifting will give your players what they need.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:20:41 PM

"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water
> travel by
> manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god
> of the
> sea), what would it look like? Duration, range, game mechanics
> effects,
> level, restrictions, etc?
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right

Okay Jeff, first I need to know what edition you are looking for
before I can safely answer that.

2nd, 3rd, 3.5?
May 15, 2005 2:20:32 PM

"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in

> If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water
> travel by manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in
> question is the god of the sea), what would it look like?
> Duration, range, game mechanics effects, level, restrictions,
> etc?

See Wind Walk for a personal / small group fast transport spell. For
a big ship, it's not so much the currents as maintaining a good
following wind, which feels like Conjure Elemental + Distance
Distortion
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 7:50:27 PM

"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
> manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
> sea), what would it look like? Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
> level, restrictions, etc?
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right

Well, large ocean currents can look like a glassy surface in calm oceans but
other that the only true clue you are in one is you go a specific direction
that may or may not coincide with the direction of the wind. It would be a
difficult description because if you make it to wild then you have used an
enormous amount of energy to do this spell for very little effect. I have
described a spell below as a guide not an absolute. Change it as you see
fit. I made the duration one hour per level so as not to over power it but
to still make it close to a one time spell per day for high level casters.
After all 10- 15 hours of double speed is very nice.

Oceans Blessing

Evocation (Force)

Level: Clr 4, Drd 5,

Components: V, S, DF

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Touch

Target: Ocean Surface

Duration: 1 Hour / level

Saving Throw: None

Spell Resistance: No

The caster must reach out and touch the water as he is casting. There are
several low pitched rumblings that make the ocean sound like it is groaning.
As the sounds pass the ocean becomes calm creating a glassy look to the
water that is 100 yards wide and stretches into the distance toward your
destination. Travel speed in this channel is effectively doubled and
encounter possibilities are effectively halved. This spell is moving the
waters below the vessel and the vessel is moving across the water in the
same direction which makes the speed double. If the vessel were to
back-track it would be dead in the water even under full wind. The channel
is thin so the mariner controlling the vessel must be vigilant to keep it in
the lane.

Rooks
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:10:46 AM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 03:09:19 -0400, "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net>
scribed into the ether:

>If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
>manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
>sea), what would it look like?

Probably nothing. Likely the only way you could tell the spell was
operating at all was if you were racing another boat that didn't have it
active.

> Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
>level, restrictions, etc?

Duration: By concentration. Ship moves very fast, but the wizard
responsible can't do anything else without losing the speed.

Effect: Double (Triple?) the speed of the ship.

Level: 4?

Restrictions: The above mentioned concentration. If your goal is to keep
this from being some kind of major influence on surface combat, give it a
casting time in the 10 minute range to remove any tactical flexibility.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 3:17:20 AM

"Quentin Stephens" <stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid> wrote in message
> "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water
> > travel by manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in
> > question is the god of the sea), what would it look like?
> > Duration, range, game mechanics effects, level, restrictions,
> > etc?
>
> See Wind Walk for a personal / small group fast transport spell. For
> a big ship, it's not so much the currents as maintaining a good
> following wind, which feels like Conjure Elemental + Distance
> Distortion

Yes, I understand that, but since the cleric in question is a follower of
Aegir(we decided to use Norse gods for our campaign, Aegir is the god of the
sea), I was trying to think of ways to keep the spell both Divine *AND*
related to the sea or water somehow. Fast currents was the only thing I
could come up with, but I am open to any other water based suggestions.

FWIW, if the "source" (ie deity) were open, it would be an air based spell
for sailed vessels, of course, and it sounds like a good spell to make
anyways.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
May 16, 2005 3:19:43 AM

"Decaying Atheist" <harker@coxdot.net> wrote in message
> Okay Jeff, first I need to know what edition you are looking for
> before I can safely answer that.
>
> 2nd, 3rd, 3.5?

Oh, yeah, sorry bout that. We play 2E.

But, if it makes it easier, I'm fully capable of transforming 3E things into
realistic 2E conversions, and if you feel like making a 3E spell for anyone
who's using 3E, that's fine, I can tweak it from there.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
May 16, 2005 3:58:16 AM

> "Decaying Atheist" <harker@coxdot.net> wrote in message
>> Okay Jeff, first I need to know what edition you are looking for
>> before I can safely answer that.
>>
>> 2nd, 3rd, 3.5?
>
> Oh, yeah, sorry bout that. We play 2E.
>
> But, if it makes it easier, I'm fully capable of transforming 3E
> things into
> realistic 2E conversions, and if you feel like making a 3E spell for
> anyone
> who's using 3E, that's fine, I can tweak it from there.
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right

Okay, I'll think a little about it. Give some ideas tomorrow after
work.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 10:30:55 AM

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
> >If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
> >manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
> >sea), what would it look like?
>
> Probably nothing. Likely the only way you could tell the spell was
> operating at all was if you were racing another boat that didn't have it
> active.

Well, I suppose I should have used different words. When I said "what would
it look like", I was more talking about the spell description(ala range,
duration, casting time, etc). Sorry for the confusion.

> > Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
> >level, restrictions, etc?
>
> Duration: By concentration. Ship moves very fast, but the wizard
> responsible can't do anything else without losing the speed.
>
> Effect: Double (Triple?) the speed of the ship.
>
> Level: 4?

If you made the speed level dependent, would you up the level of the spell?
IE: Instead of a flat doubling or tripling, make it +10% speed per level.
A 20th level priest can make the ship go at 100% normal speed PLUS 200% for
the spell(or triple speed).

> Restrictions: The above mentioned concentration. If your goal is to keep
> this from being some kind of major influence on surface combat, give it a
> casting time in the 10 minute range to remove any tactical flexibility.

I like both of those suggestions. I don't want a spell like this to become
a combat useful spell, only a "transportation useful" spell.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
May 16, 2005 10:35:27 AM

"Rooks" <fiendish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The caster must reach out and touch the water as he is casting. There are
> several low pitched rumblings that make the ocean sound like it is
groaning.
> As the sounds pass the ocean becomes calm creating a glassy look to the
> water that is 100 yards wide and stretches into the distance toward your
> destination. Travel speed in this channel is effectively doubled and
> encounter possibilities are effectively halved. This spell is moving the

I'm envisioning it like a "water autobahn". Anything in the channel/lane of
sea is automatically moving VERY fast. That seems like quite a powerful
spell, make any ship in an almost infinite straight line move at double
speed(or whatever).

While I like that it is based on the ocean and NOT the ship, I think that
toning it down would be in order. Maybe 100 yards square(enough for one
large ship or several small ones(dunno mideaval ship sizes) ).

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
May 16, 2005 8:52:28 PM

Jeff Goslin wrote:
> Yes, I understand that, but since the cleric in question is a follower of
> Aegir(we decided to use Norse gods for our campaign, Aegir is the god of the
> sea), I was trying to think of ways to keep the spell both Divine *AND*
> related to the sea or water somehow. Fast currents was the only thing I
> could come up with, but I am open to any other water based suggestions.

Make it related to a tsunami creation, as those run deep and strong and are
undetectable, for the most part until they reach shallower ground, where they
then rear up to the devastating destruction.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Jeff Goslin wrote:

> If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed
> water travel by manipulating currents(the god of the cleric
> in question is the god of the sea), what would it look
> like? Duration, range, game mechanics effects, level,
> restrictions, etc?

Others have given you some ideas for that method of spell, but I'll
suggest an alternative:

Savage Species contains a spell called "Wings of the Sea". Clr 2, Drd
1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 2. No verbal component, touch range (should be
"personal or touch", though), targets you or person touched, and lasts
1 minute per level. Its effect is to increase an existing swim speed
by 30 ft, but it doesn't give a swim speed if the target doesn't have
one already.

The obvious parallel to this is "Wings of the Sea, Greater", which
affects vessels with a water speed, adding to their movement rates
(e.g. I'd add the average base speed of water vehicles, which isn't
all that fast IIRC, as a 3rd level spell, but limit the size of
vehicle affected to something like "can affect a vehicle that can
comfortably carry 2 passengers per caster level", or even set specific
caster level limits for sizes of vessel, if you want high-levelers to
be able to greatly speed war galleons and the like).

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.

"Nikolas Landauer" <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote in message
> The obvious parallel to this is "Wings of the Sea, Greater", which
> affects vessels with a water speed, adding to their movement rates
> (e.g. I'd add the average base speed of water vehicles, which isn't
> all that fast IIRC, as a 3rd level spell, but limit the size of
> vehicle affected to something like "can affect a vehicle that can
> comfortably carry 2 passengers per caster level", or even set specific
> caster level limits for sizes of vessel, if you want high-levelers to
> be able to greatly speed war galleons and the like).

You've given me plenty to consider when I work with the player in question
to make this spell. I'll post the results when it's done. Thank you!

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
May 18, 2005 3:06:48 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 06:30:55 -0400, "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net>
scribed into the ether:

>"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message

>> Effect: Double (Triple?) the speed of the ship.
>>
>> Level: 4?
>
>If you made the speed level dependent, would you up the level of the spell?

No. You don't up the level on a fireball as you get higher because you get
to roll more dice for damage.

>IE: Instead of a flat doubling or tripling, make it +10% speed per level.
>A 20th level priest can make the ship go at 100% normal speed PLUS 200% for
>the spell(or triple speed).

I don't have a problem with it, but it is *your* campaign. Not a question I
can supply a relevant answer to.
!