New spell?

If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
sea), what would it look like? Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
level, restrictions, etc?

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
More about spell

    "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
    > manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
    > sea), what would it look like? Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
    > level, restrictions, etc?

    You need to try to tailor it after the Haste or Expeditious Retreat spell.
    Try
    to keep it approximatly equal to those spells. Or maybe the Flight spell.
    If it is a mass speed spell (for a ship full of people) it should be either
    2 levels higher than the speed spell or have an expensive or rare focus
    item.

    Swim (based of fly) |Personal Swim (based on
    Expeditious Retreat)
    Transmutation |
    Level Sor/Wiz3, Water 3 |Sor/Wiz1, Water 1
    Components V,S,F/DF |V,S
    Casting Time 1 standard action |
    Range Touch |Personal
    Target Creature Touched |You
    Duration 1 min/lvl |
    Saving Throw Will negates (harmless) | N/A
    Spell Resistance Yes (harmless) | N/A

    The subject grows webbing between his fingers/toes and
    can swim 60 feet (or 40 feet in medium armor or under a
    medium load. Heavy armor or heavy load will keep the
    subject from getting benefit of the Swim spell until the
    load/armor is dropped)
    Arcane Focus Scales from an Eel.

    There are spells already that can be tweaked for your use. The Haste
    spell increases ALL of the subjects modes of transportation. Just
    add it to your list of Water spells. If you wish to move a boat with
    speed, the Gust of Wind spell can be tweaked for it. Or polymorph
    spells and shapeshifting will give your players what they need.

    "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water
    > travel by
    > manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god
    > of the
    > sea), what would it look like? Duration, range, game mechanics
    > effects,
    > level, restrictions, etc?
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
    > It's not a god complex when you're always right

    Okay Jeff, first I need to know what edition you are looking for
    before I can safely answer that.

    2nd, 3rd, 3.5?

    "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in

    > If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water
    > travel by manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in
    > question is the god of the sea), what would it look like?
    > Duration, range, game mechanics effects, level, restrictions,
    > etc?

    See Wind Walk for a personal / small group fast transport spell. For
    a big ship, it's not so much the currents as maintaining a good
    following wind, which feels like Conjure Elemental + Distance
    Distortion

    "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
    > manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
    > sea), what would it look like? Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
    > level, restrictions, etc?
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
    > It's not a god complex when you're always right

    Well, large ocean currents can look like a glassy surface in calm oceans but
    other that the only true clue you are in one is you go a specific direction
    that may or may not coincide with the direction of the wind. It would be a
    difficult description because if you make it to wild then you have used an
    enormous amount of energy to do this spell for very little effect. I have
    described a spell below as a guide not an absolute. Change it as you see
    fit. I made the duration one hour per level so as not to over power it but
    to still make it close to a one time spell per day for high level casters.
    After all 10- 15 hours of double speed is very nice.

    Oceans Blessing

    Evocation (Force)

    Level: Clr 4, Drd 5,

    Components: V, S, DF

    Casting Time: 1 action

    Range: Touch

    Target: Ocean Surface

    Duration: 1 Hour / level

    Saving Throw: None

    Spell Resistance: No

    The caster must reach out and touch the water as he is casting. There are
    several low pitched rumblings that make the ocean sound like it is groaning.
    As the sounds pass the ocean becomes calm creating a glassy look to the
    water that is 100 yards wide and stretches into the distance toward your
    destination. Travel speed in this channel is effectively doubled and
    encounter possibilities are effectively halved. This spell is moving the
    waters below the vessel and the vessel is moving across the water in the
    same direction which makes the speed double. If the vessel were to
    back-track it would be dead in the water even under full wind. The channel
    is thin so the mariner controlling the vessel must be vigilant to keep it in
    the lane.

    Rooks

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 03:09:19 -0400, "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net>
    scribed into the ether:

    >If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
    >manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
    >sea), what would it look like?

    Probably nothing. Likely the only way you could tell the spell was
    operating at all was if you were racing another boat that didn't have it
    active.

    > Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
    >level, restrictions, etc?

    Duration: By concentration. Ship moves very fast, but the wizard
    responsible can't do anything else without losing the speed.

    Effect: Double (Triple?) the speed of the ship.

    Level: 4?

    Restrictions: The above mentioned concentration. If your goal is to keep
    this from being some kind of major influence on surface combat, give it a
    casting time in the 10 minute range to remove any tactical flexibility.

    "Quentin Stephens" <stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in
    >
    > > If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water
    > > travel by manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in
    > > question is the god of the sea), what would it look like?
    > > Duration, range, game mechanics effects, level, restrictions,
    > > etc?
    >
    > See Wind Walk for a personal / small group fast transport spell. For
    > a big ship, it's not so much the currents as maintaining a good
    > following wind, which feels like Conjure Elemental + Distance
    > Distortion

    Yes, I understand that, but since the cleric in question is a follower of
    Aegir(we decided to use Norse gods for our campaign, Aegir is the god of the
    sea), I was trying to think of ways to keep the spell both Divine *AND*
    related to the sea or water somehow. Fast currents was the only thing I
    could come up with, but I am open to any other water based suggestions.

    FWIW, if the "source" (ie deity) were open, it would be an air based spell
    for sailed vessels, of course, and it sounds like a good spell to make
    anyways.

    --

    "Decaying Atheist" <harker@coxdot.net> wrote in message
    > Okay Jeff, first I need to know what edition you are looking for
    > before I can safely answer that.
    >
    > 2nd, 3rd, 3.5?

    Oh, yeah, sorry bout that. We play 2E.

    But, if it makes it easier, I'm fully capable of transforming 3E things into
    realistic 2E conversions, and if you feel like making a 3E spell for anyone
    who's using 3E, that's fine, I can tweak it from there.

    --

    > "Decaying Atheist" <harker@coxdot.net> wrote in message
    >> Okay Jeff, first I need to know what edition you are looking for
    >> before I can safely answer that.
    >>
    >> 2nd, 3rd, 3.5?
    >
    > Oh, yeah, sorry bout that. We play 2E.
    >
    > But, if it makes it easier, I'm fully capable of transforming 3E
    > things into
    > realistic 2E conversions, and if you feel like making a 3E spell for
    > anyone
    > who's using 3E, that's fine, I can tweak it from there.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
    > It's not a god complex when you're always right

    Okay, I'll think a little about it. Give some ideas tomorrow after
    work.

    "Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
    > >If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed water travel by
    > >manipulating currents(the god of the cleric in question is the god of the
    > >sea), what would it look like?
    >
    > Probably nothing. Likely the only way you could tell the spell was
    > operating at all was if you were racing another boat that didn't have it
    > active.

    Well, I suppose I should have used different words. When I said "what would
    it look like", I was more talking about the spell description(ala range,
    duration, casting time, etc). Sorry for the confusion.

    > > Duration, range, game mechanics effects,
    > >level, restrictions, etc?
    >
    > Duration: By concentration. Ship moves very fast, but the wizard
    > responsible can't do anything else without losing the speed.
    >
    > Effect: Double (Triple?) the speed of the ship.
    >
    > Level: 4?

    If you made the speed level dependent, would you up the level of the spell?
    IE: Instead of a flat doubling or tripling, make it +10% speed per level.
    A 20th level priest can make the ship go at 100% normal speed PLUS 200% for
    the spell(or triple speed).

    > Restrictions: The above mentioned concentration. If your goal is to keep
    > this from being some kind of major influence on surface combat, give it a
    > casting time in the 10 minute range to remove any tactical flexibility.

    I like both of those suggestions. I don't want a spell like this to become
    a combat useful spell, only a "transportation useful" spell.

    --

    "Rooks" <fiendish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The caster must reach out and touch the water as he is casting. There are
    > several low pitched rumblings that make the ocean sound like it is
    groaning.
    > As the sounds pass the ocean becomes calm creating a glassy look to the
    > water that is 100 yards wide and stretches into the distance toward your
    > destination. Travel speed in this channel is effectively doubled and
    > encounter possibilities are effectively halved. This spell is moving the

    I'm envisioning it like a "water autobahn". Anything in the channel/lane of
    sea is automatically moving VERY fast. That seems like quite a powerful
    spell, make any ship in an almost infinite straight line move at double
    speed(or whatever).

    While I like that it is based on the ocean and NOT the ship, I think that
    toning it down would be in order. Maybe 100 yards square(enough for one
    large ship or several small ones(dunno mideaval ship sizes) ).

    --

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > Yes, I understand that, but since the cleric in question is a follower of
    > Aegir(we decided to use Norse gods for our campaign, Aegir is the god of the
    > sea), I was trying to think of ways to keep the spell both Divine *AND*
    > related to the sea or water somehow. Fast currents was the only thing I
    > could come up with, but I am open to any other water based suggestions.

    Make it related to a tsunami creation, as those run deep and strong and are
    undetectable, for the most part until they reach shallower ground, where they
    then rear up to the devastating destruction.
    --
    "... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
    --till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

    Jeff Goslin wrote:

    > If you were to create a spell who's function was to speed
    > water travel by manipulating currents(the god of the cleric
    > in question is the god of the sea), what would it look
    > like? Duration, range, game mechanics effects, level,
    > restrictions, etc?

    Others have given you some ideas for that method of spell, but I'll
    suggest an alternative:

    Savage Species contains a spell called "Wings of the Sea". Clr 2, Drd
    1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 2. No verbal component, touch range (should be
    "personal or touch", though), targets you or person touched, and lasts
    1 minute per level. Its effect is to increase an existing swim speed
    by 30 ft, but it doesn't give a swim speed if the target doesn't have
    one already.

    The obvious parallel to this is "Wings of the Sea, Greater", which
    affects vessels with a water speed, adding to their movement rates
    (e.g. I'd add the average base speed of water vehicles, which isn't
    all that fast IIRC, as a 3rd level spell, but limit the size of
    vehicle affected to something like "can affect a vehicle that can
    comfortably carry 2 passengers per caster level", or even set specific
    caster level limits for sizes of vessel, if you want high-levelers to
    be able to greatly speed war galleons and the like).

    --
    Nik
    - remove vermin from email address to reply.

    "Nikolas Landauer" <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote in message
    > The obvious parallel to this is "Wings of the Sea, Greater", which
    > affects vessels with a water speed, adding to their movement rates
    > (e.g. I'd add the average base speed of water vehicles, which isn't
    > all that fast IIRC, as a 3rd level spell, but limit the size of
    > vehicle affected to something like "can affect a vehicle that can
    > comfortably carry 2 passengers per caster level", or even set specific
    > caster level limits for sizes of vessel, if you want high-levelers to
    > be able to greatly speed war galleons and the like).

    You've given me plenty to consider when I work with the player in question
    to make this spell. I'll post the results when it's done. Thank you!

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 06:30:55 -0400, "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net>
    scribed into the ether:

    >"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message

    >> Effect: Double (Triple?) the speed of the ship.
    >>
    >> Level: 4?
    >
    >If you made the speed level dependent, would you up the level of the spell?

    No. You don't up the level on a fireball as you get higher because you get
    to roll more dice for damage.

    >IE: Instead of a flat doubling or tripling, make it +10% speed per level.
    >A 20th level priest can make the ship go at 100% normal speed PLUS 200% for
    >the spell(or triple speed).

    I don't have a problem with it, but it is *your* campaign. Not a question I
    can supply a relevant answer to.

Games Video Games