Dead Dell

Help! Have a Dell 4500 p4 that won't boot. The local shop says its the mobo.
So they order an exact replacement.
I install and still won't boot. Swapped power supply with known working one.
No boot. Took front cover off and
the light below the on switch comes on and stays on only after I push the
button to power up. Disconnect power
and all lights go out. All connections checked and rechecked. This system
was dropped and don't know what else
to look at besides the little board that the on switch is plugged into.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
AJ
9 answers Last reply
More about dead dell

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:04:28 GMT, AJ wrote in

    > Help! Have a Dell 4500 p4 that won't boot. The local shop says its the mobo.
    > So they order an exact replacement.
    > I install and still won't boot. Swapped power supply with known working one.
    > No boot. Took front cover off and
    > the light below the on switch comes on and stays on only after I push the
    > button to power up. Disconnect power
    > and all lights go out. All connections checked and rechecked. This system
    > was dropped and don't know what else
    > to look at besides the little board that the on switch is plugged into.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Are you using the most updated BIOS?

    Dave
    Being a smart ass.
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    try to boot the machine with the bare minimum of devices connected...
    processor, ram, hard disk, video card or even just a floppy instead of the
    hard disk and then check the led error code on the back of the system for a
    clue as to the source of the problem. here is a chart of what the codes
    mean:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/advanced.htm#1118998

    > try to boot the machine with the bare minimum of devices connected...
    > processor, ram, hard disk, video card or even just a floppy instead of the
    > hard disk and then check the led error code on the back of the system for
    > clue as to the source of the problem. here is a chart of what the codes
    > mean:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/advanced.htm#1118998

    Like Chris said, strip it to the CPU/heatsink, power supply (2) connectors,
    and power switch connector.

    See if it will then attempt to boot and produce beep(s) codes....

    The computer shop owes you some money, btw....

    Post back.

    Stew

    I agree with the other two posts concerning stripping the machine to bare
    minimum. I had a CDRW just go bad while not even using it. Until I
    disconnected all the periprials the machine would not try to boot. I then
    plugged one drive in at a time, powered up until I found the culprit. The
    CDRW apparently felled and loaded the system buss rendering the computer
    useless while it was connected.

    Yeah, really! For a moment I thought that you were Ron Reaugh! And that's
    getting as low as they go around here... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:53:44 -0600, David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:04:28 GMT, AJ wrote in
    >
    >> Help! Have a Dell 4500 p4 that won't boot. The local shop says its the mobo.
    >> So they order an exact replacement.
    >> I install and still won't boot. Swapped power supply with known working one.
    >> No boot. Took front cover off and
    >> the light below the on switch comes on and stays on only after I push the
    >> button to power up. Disconnect power
    >> and all lights go out. All connections checked and rechecked. This system
    >> was dropped and don't know what else
    >> to look at besides the little board that the on switch is plugged into.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >
    >Are you using the most updated BIOS?
    >
    >Dave
    >Being a smart ass.
    >--
    >You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    >US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    >http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    >Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:26:35 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote in

    > Yeah, really! For a moment I thought that you were Ron Reaugh! And that's
    > getting as low as they go around here... Ben Myers

    Oh, now you're just being wacko. ;-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    You stole my post!

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:04:28 GMT, AJ wrote in
    >
    >> Help! Have a Dell 4500 p4 that won't boot. The local shop says its the
    >> mobo.
    >> So they order an exact replacement.
    >> I install and still won't boot. Swapped power supply with known working
    >> one.
    >> No boot. Took front cover off and
    >> the light below the on switch comes on and stays on only after I push the
    >> button to power up. Disconnect power
    >> and all lights go out. All connections checked and rechecked. This system
    >> was dropped and don't know what else
    >> to look at besides the little board that the on switch is plugged into.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >
    > Are you using the most updated BIOS?
    >
    > Dave
    > Being a smart ass.
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 07:10:51 -0400, Tom Scales wrote in

    >>> Help! Have a Dell 4500 p4 that won't boot. The local shop says its the
    >>> mobo.
    >>> So they order an exact replacement.
    >>> I install and still won't boot. Swapped power supply with known working
    >>> one.
    >>> No boot. Took front cover off and
    >>> the light below the on switch comes on and stays on only after I push the
    >>> button to power up. Disconnect power
    >>> and all lights go out. All connections checked and rechecked. This system
    >>> was dropped and don't know what else
    >>> to look at besides the little board that the on switch is plugged into.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts?
    >>
    >> Are you using the most updated BIOS?
    >
    > You stole my post!

    Sorry. I was trying to beat Ron and Brian to the punch. ;-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Gary,
    Good point. My Dell Inspiron 7000 wouldn't complete boot up.Tech support
    had me remove one component at a time and try to reboot, finally got down
    to the extra ram chip. Removed it and the computer booted! Put all the
    components back in one at a time and tried rebooting. The tech support
    person stayed with me all the while. Finally got down to the ram chip, he
    told me to reinsert it. Figured this wouldn't work, low and behold the
    computer booted up. I've been running the same ram chip for a year without
    further incident, go figure.
    Paul

    "Gary Avrett" <designer852@sbcglobal.net_nospam> wrote in message
    >I agree with the other two posts concerning stripping the machine to bare
    >minimum. I had a CDRW just go bad while not even using it. Until I
    >disconnected all the periprials the machine would not try to boot. I then
    >plugged one drive in at a time, powered up until I found the culprit. The
    >CDRW apparently felled and loaded the system buss rendering the computer
    >useless while it was connected.

Dell Light Switch Boot Computers