onthetopo

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
hi,
Since I already have 512 pc133 sdram I don't want to buy DDR ram so far. How much % of performance of the cpu will be lost when I use 133 sdram? If it's too big I'll just buy T-bird which is cheaper.

<font color=blue> Boys be ambitious </font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Not too much, MAX 10%!! In some theorectical benchmarks, it's up to 25% but in real-world benchmarks, 5-10% is more likely. There's nothing wrong with SDRAM. Just make sure you get a good SDRAM mobo that supports the Athlon XP. AFAIK, the Iwill KK266Plus-RAID is the best.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
LoL......this is DEFINENTLY a case of the misinformed....

It will be no different witht he T-Bird.......any chip will benefit more from DDR ram over SDRAM, even a Duron....
What's your current motherboard ???

Performance difference od SDRAM to DDRAM is between 5% - 15% depending on the application, game, etc.

What you CAN do however is buy a Motherboard that supports both (but cannot be used simultaneously) like the ECS K7S5A with the SiS735 chipset OR the Asus A7A266 Motherboard witht he Ali MAGIK 1 chipset (try to get Revision 'C' as it has better performance) that way you can use your current 512MB of PC-133 SDRAM than later on IF YOU WANT, you can buy DDR for your machine and stick it in there......

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

onthetopo

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Thanks for your reply.
Right now I'm using ECS p6bxa+ and I'm planning to buy ECS k7s5a. Athlon XP is very heat-generating right? So I won't take overclocking ability into my concern. Then ECS board is better than the asus one since it's alot cheaper. What's good about the asus board?

<font color=blue> Boys be ambitious </font color=blue> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by onthetopo on 12/28/01 01:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I wouldn't recommend the ECS board! Try looking at the IWill KK266Plus-RAID! I'm sure LHGPooBaa has a lot of good things to say about it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
*cough*Get a !!! <A HREF="http://www.leadtek.com/motherboards/7350kda/7350kda.htm" target="_new">Leadtek 7350KDA</A> !!!, i have one..*cough*

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Someone actually bought one, eh? About time. Care to give us your impressions?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The Athlon XP generates less heat at the same speed T-Bird.

Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'
Get them posts a goin'
My fingers are swullen
Rawhide!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'll say one thing:

It's F'n Sweet... Its just as fast as a Kt266a mobo in some benches. OverClockers would love this mofo !!!!!! Leadek made a f'n sweet mobo !!!!

I Love playing on my GameCube or PC cuz there both ATi powered... :smile:

eden

Champion
So exactly is this SiS 735 chipset a new thing? And why is it hard to believe he has one?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...