AMD CPU Sounds

G

Hi, I have an AsusA7V 266 with Athlon 1300 Processor with 256 PC-133 RAM. The system was made around a couple of months ago. I started up my computer today and it started making funny sounds like the processor was struggling. It only happens for like 30 seconds and eventually goes away. I have a great heatsink fan on the processor and I thought the cooling was pretty good. This same sound came in my old computer and shortly thereafter, the processor gave out. Is there anything I can do to my CPU to stop this from happening? I'm not overclocking or anything. Will adding an extra case fan do the trick? I do sometimes keep my computer on throughout the night and I will stop doing that but I don't know how to solve this problem. Everytime I boot up, I get this sound. I don't believe it would be any of my components that are affecting this. Any suggestions please???

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
CPUs DO NOT MAKE SOUNDS! It's probably a failing fan or something.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Would you suggest either the power supply fan or the heatsink fan? How would I know which one is the problem too?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I thought about it again, the way you say that it does that when you boot up makes me think it's an inadequate PSU (Power Supply Unit)! You might be pushing your PSU too hard! What make and wattage is it?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Harrdrive, thats the only component I can think of which makes death sounds that result in a dead computer.

A psu fan failure does not kill a computer.(although eventually the psu would fail).

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
may i humbily suggest you use your EARS?
open up the side of the case, then turn it on...

see where the noise comes from.

its most likely a fan going bad somewhere.
with its bearing makeing wierd noises till it gets up to speed and/or warms up a little.
if its the CPU or PSU fan, best get it replaces ASAP.

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

G

Well I'm going to have to check it out. The wattage on the PSU is 300 Watt and I have 2 CD Rom's and a 3.5" and 1 HD. Hardly seems like I'd be overworking my CPU. I'm going to have to open up the case and really find out what is going on. Does anyone had this happen to them? If its rare how could this possibly happen the second time to me? I know the first time, it ended up with a burnt out CPU. Doesn't seem like an HD problem.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I recall LHGPooBaa saying that his fan's was slowing down due to his weak PSU.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If you disdain opening your case, I humbly suggest you would have no way of knowing if your cpu burned out, I imagine you took it to a local repair shop, where they proceded to shaft you, claming you needed a new cpu.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
With a 1.3GHz and 2 CD-Rom a HD and what im sure a video card you are most likely overworking the PSU. It depends on the make though since some have a higher combined power than others with the same W rating.

Also open the case and visually watch the HS/Fan on boot and see if you can notice a variance in its rpm.

I agree with AMD man that it is the PSU. That would be my first place to troubleshoot.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ive had video problems,
but thats only when i overclock too far, some glitch when i warm boot on an extreme overclock the geforce2 shuts itself off.

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i think i might have to get a new fan too soon :frown: for my volcano 6cu. dunno why, it's only a couple months old. but whenever i boot up for about a min, the damn thing sounds like a airplane reving up.

[insert philosophical statement here]

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
awww too bad.
luck of the draw

u could take the opportunity to get a 60mm to 80mm converter and an 80mm fan ;)

actually... ive seen for sale a 60mm to 92mm converter now!!!
boy would that suck (or blow)

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I just had a similar problem right now! I opened my case and it turns out some dust was stuck between the fan blades of my 80mm intake case fan. That baby brings ina lot of dust in a week no matter how clean the room is! Anyway, I took a can of compressed air and blew that dust ball out. Tada! The problem is gone!