Changing CPU fan

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Fan
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2001 7:36:46 AM

Can I change my CPU fan without changing the termal paste? Like can I just take off my old fan & put in the new one?

Also, if I want to change the termal paste too, how do I remove the old paste safely?

Thanks

More about : changing cpu fan

December 29, 2001 7:45:19 AM

You don't have to change the thermal paste as long as you leave your heatsink mounted and change only the fan.

If you want to remove your thermal pad just scrape it off and clean it with isopropyl alcohol and a clean . For more tips about thermal paste check <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com&lt;/A>.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2001 7:57:22 AM

Don't most new CPU fans come with a heatsink?
Because my old CPU fan is inefficient, I am planning to replace it.
So I think I will use the new heatsink too.

So do I now required to remove thermal paste ?

Thanks
December 29, 2001 8:22:31 AM

If you change to a new heatsink then it's best to clean the core of the CPU with some isopropyl alcohol.
If the new heatsink has a thermal pad on it you can use that, but if you want the best cooling I recommend removing it and then use Arctic Silver 2.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
December 29, 2001 9:30:18 AM

define what u mean by "fan"

from what im getting you mean the whole unit,
i.e. "heat sink & fan" (HSF, cooler)

your 'cooler' has 2 parts.
the metal heatsink, and the fan.
replacing just the fan can give you some reduction in temperatures or noise, but only to a certain extent.

to really reduce the temperatures, you will need a new heatsink.

replacing the fan on the HSF is easy.
undo the 4 screws, or unhook the 2 stressed metal springs. removal of the HSF from the CPU is not necessary.

removing the HSF is a bit more complex, and requires a bit of skill. if your unsure, GET A PRO to do it!

as to your initial question. i STRONGLY reccomend you DON'T reuse the thermal pad or grease. wipe/scrape it off, and reapply new thermal grease.

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!
!