Sign in with
Your question

Screen doesn't work, only on safe mode

Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2013 3:24:57 PM

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can help with this.

One day i was on my computer and it crashed and since then every time i try and open up my computer normally it will reach the point where my user has to log in and cut out just before. Can still hear windows just my screen says "no connection with pc". Ive tried other wires/monitors and stuff and nothings worked.

I have a Nvidia graphics card and ive tried completely removing my nvida files and reinstalling the drivers from the website. When i uninstalled the graphics driver it allowed me back onto windows normally except when i reinstalled the driver (on the normal version of windows not saftey) after the restart it went back to the same problems.

I am pretty stumped and have read loads on the topic, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie.

More about : screen work safe mode

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 3:35:28 PM

Go to the monitor properties, and make sure the refresh rate and resolution are set to the native settings.
m
l
February 13, 2013 3:41:28 PM

Yeah i did that straight away it didn't change anything same result.
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 3:53:25 PM

What's the graphics package you have? What monitor?
m
l
February 13, 2013 4:37:56 PM

aford10 said:
What's the graphics package you have? What monitor?

I have a nvidia graphics card GeForce GTS 450 and my monitor is just a standard celcus monitor, never had a problem with it before and it runs the pc fine on saftey mode ect ect... Its got to be an issue from the PC i think.
m
l
February 13, 2013 4:41:52 PM

Its probably a driver issue. Have you updated any drivers or software recently ?

m
l
February 13, 2013 4:51:58 PM

Nedal0 said:
Its probably a driver issue. Have you updated any drivers or software recently ?

Well i read into it a little and someone suggested reinstalling the graphics driver. I did this, then that didn't work.

Then someone wrote to use driver cleaner as all the previous nvidia data may not have been wiped, did that - then reinstalled the drivers through the nvidia website. No change.

But i don't know if windows reinstalls the nvidia software automatically so before i have the chance to update it the old stuff is back.

Really stumped, thanks for the replies
m
l
February 13, 2013 4:52:14 PM

If it seems to be OK right up to the point where it logs you in it might be worth creating a new user and seeing if you can log in as that.

As you can get into safe mode it might be worth a look at the system logs.
m
l
February 13, 2013 4:58:39 PM

womble said:
If it seems to be OK right up to the point where it logs you in it might be worth creating a new user and seeing if you can log in as that.

As you can get into safe mode it might be worth a look at the system logs.

It cuts out before the login screen can load. What exactly will i look for in system logs?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 5:25:28 PM

I know it sounds like an obvious one here, but have you tried "Enable low resolution video (640 × 480)" from the same menu you select safe mode in.

Last time I was in safe mode, due to a lack of video drivers, refresh rates and other settings did not seem to stick or even work(its been a while to be honest.).
m
l
February 14, 2013 1:26:30 AM

My computer works when the hdmi cable is plugged in, i don't know why the vga slot kept turning off the screen, my computer is a little slower and when the screen first came on the resolution was set to the maximum but the icons and stuff where all too disorientated and small.

I still recon theres a software issue here or maybe something wrong with the g card itself. But i don't know how to confirm what is wrong.

All the suggestions above have helped in some way to rule things out.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2013 2:08:43 AM

I just had a PC at work do a very similar issue to this. It had dual monitors, and one kept shutting off, saying it was out of range, but the other was just fine.

It wasn't recognizing the monitor as a pnp monitor, so I uninstalled it from the device manager, reinstalled the driver, and then rebooted the PC. I had to adjust the resolution, but that fixed the issue.
m
l
February 14, 2013 12:45:09 PM

It could be a faulty Nvidia Card. Can you provide any PC Specs please ?

Also is you Win 7 Copy OEM or Retail ?
m
l
February 14, 2013 8:55:12 PM

aford10 said:
I just had a PC at work do a very similar issue to this. It had dual monitors, and one kept shutting off, saying it was out of range, but the other was just fine.

It wasn't recognizing the monitor as a pnp monitor, so I uninstalled it from the device manager, reinstalled the driver, and then rebooted the PC. I had to adjust the resolution, but that fixed the issue.

What exactly did you delete fron the device manager? It sounds very similar to my problem.

Also i tried to play a game with the HDMI cable and now all of a sudden it froze and the same problem i had with the VGA is now the problem with the HDMI cable :'( .

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2013 8:59:28 PM

Charlie847 said:
What exactly did you delete fron the device manager? It sounds very similar to my problem.

Also i tried to play a game with the HDMI cable and now all of a sudden it froze and the same problem i had with the VGA is now the problem with the HDMI cable :'( .

You have a defective card. I've seen this too many times in the past.

The issue is that the card is being rendered unusable when the computer is attempting to hand off control to the OS and the video card. It works correctly under Safe Mode because it isn't loading the full suite of drivers for the card itself.

Time for a replacement!
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 12:20:04 AM

Charlie847 said:

Go into the device manager, expand the monitor, right click and uninstall what's listed. Then expand the display adapter section, and uninstall those. Uninstall your graphics software. Then reboot, and reinstall your video driver.
m
l
!