I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E guys will
find it useful but i have no compression software that allows spliting the
file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to post it as one zip
file the i have Windows XP compress but it never landed. Is there a size
limit? If so what size is max?

Rooks

Rooks wrote:
> I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E
guys will
> find it useful but i have no compression software that allows
spliting the
> file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to post it as one
zip
> file the i have Windows XP compress but it never landed. Is there a
size
> limit? If so what size is max?

If it's game related, maybe you should send it somewhere they can put
it on a webpage, like rpgarchives.com. They should be able to handle a
file that size easily.

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club

"Rooks" <fiendish@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E guys
> will find it useful but i have no compression software that allows
> spliting the file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to
> post it as one zip file the i have Windows XP compress but it never
> landed. Is there a size limit? If so what size is max?

Binary files are not allowed on this group at all. Find some webspace to
post it onto, and then post a link to it.

Depending on your ISP you probably cannot even post a binary attachment to
this group. If you are able to and do then only about half the people
subscribed will not be able to see the post and the other half will flame
you for posting it.

Rooks wrote:
> I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E guys will
> find it useful but i have no compression software that allows spliting the
> file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to post it as one zip
> file the i have Windows XP compress but it never landed. Is there a size
> limit? If so what size is max?
>
> Rooks

"Rooks" wrote

> I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E guys
will
> find it useful but i have no compression software that allows spliting the
> file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to post it as one zip
> file the i have Windows XP compress but it never landed. Is there a size
> limit? If so what size is max?

How about you don't post any files to this news group at all? Even better,
don't post the same file 10 times.

John

"John Phillips" <jsphillips1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "Rooks" wrote
>>
>> I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E guys
> will
>> find it useful but i have no compression software that allows spliting
>> the
>> file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to post it as one zip
>> file the i have Windows XP compress but it never landed. Is there a size
>> limit? If so what size is max?
>
> How about you don't post any files to this news group at all? Even better,
> don't post the same file 10 times.
>

> John

why not John Doe? If It had worked it would have been ten different files.
Why don't you small minded comments to yourself? I would not have tried if I
hadn't thought you would find it useful. Stop being a prick.

Rooks

> "John Phillips" <jsphillips1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rooks" wrote
>>>
>>> I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E
>>> guys
>> will
>>> find it useful but i have no compression software that allows
>>> spliting the
>>> file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to post it as one
>>> zip file the i have Windows XP compress but it never landed. Is
>>> there a size limit? If so what size is max?
>>
>> How about you don't post any files to this news group at all? Even
>> better, don't post the same file 10 times.
>>

>> John
>>

> why not John Doe? If It had worked it would have been ten different
> files. Why don't you small minded comments to yourself? I would not
> have tried if I hadn't thought you would find it useful. Stop being a
> prick.

This is not a binary group. The maximum size for binary posts is zero. Why
don't you learn how to behave, and follow the rules (or at least learn what
they are)? You wouldn't have tried if you'd known it would generate
legitimate complaints to your ISP. Stop being a retard.

Your file does not belong here. Deal with it.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/

Rooks wrote:
> why not John Doe? If It had worked it would have been ten different files.
> Why don't you small minded comments to yourself? I would not have tried if I
> hadn't thought you would find it useful. Stop being a prick.
>
> Rooks

Ya see, this isn't a binaries NG, so it's the wrong place for you to
post this anyway. If anyone's being a jerk about the whole thing, it's
you. If you were reasonable and had waited until people had replied to
your first post, you would have learned this.

"Alexander Case" <alex.NOcase@verizonSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Rooks wrote:
>> why not John Doe? If It had worked it would have been ten different
>> files. Why don't you small minded comments to yourself? I would not have
>> tried if I hadn't thought you would find it useful. Stop being a prick.
>>
>> Rooks
>
> Ya see, this isn't a binaries NG, so it's the wrong place for you to post
> this anyway. If anyone's being a jerk about the whole thing, it's you. If
> you were reasonable and had waited until people had replied to your first
> post, you would have learned this.

You are right that I was wrong to try without first getting an answer,
however there is a way to speak while retaining respect and there is a way
to speak without. You get it. He does not.

Rooks

Mere moments before death, Rooks hastily scrawled:
>I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group.

Don't do it. You *will* be reported to your ISP for posting binaries
to a non-binary NG. Find a free webhost and post a link.

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

Mere moments before death, Rooks hastily scrawled:

>You are right that I was wrong to try without first getting an answer,
>however there is a way to speak while retaining respect and there is a way
>to speak without.

The first step to speaking with respect is to pay attention to the
rules of whatever forum you're speaking in. You are being the jerk
here, and if you never post here again I'm sure nobody will miss you.

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

On Sun, 15 May 2005 15:10:09 -0600, "Rooks" <fiendish@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E guys will
>find it useful but i have no compression software that allows spliting the
>file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to post it as one zip
>file the i have Windows XP compress but it never landed. Is there a size
>limit? If so what size is max?

Don't.

Most servers will zap it anyway. Even if not zapped, big binaries in
a text group is a big breach of netiquette. Anyone on dial-up with
their newsreader set to download bodies would be cursing you for doing
something like that.

Furthermore, you're over the maximum message size.

XP's compressor is broken. Once I found myself relying on their
decompressor--and it reported half of hundereds of files
corrupt--files that were actually ok when extracted with other
compressors.

Mart van de Wege <mvdwege.usenet@wanadoo.nl> wrote:
> It's not *that* bad. Use a good news reader, one that can kill-file on
> follow-up, and throw Shawn Wilson, Brandon Cope, and Marshall in the
> kill-file with follow-ups; stay out of any threads that have both MSB
> and Bradd in 'em, and the atmosphere is remarkably civil.

Heh, that's about right.

> There's plenty of posters that post some good stuff here, and are
> quite civil. I score them up, so occasionally I see parts of the
> flamewars when they engage in them, and staying out of the Bradd/MSB
> vendetta is hard because I have both of them on a positive score, but
> it's possible to enjoy this group.

Here's a tip for dealing with posters that you like individually but not
together: First, give each one a positive score based on From addresses,
as you've already done. Then, assign a negative score to each References
header that contains articles from both posters.

For example, my message IDs look like <slrn...bradd+news@szonye.com>.
That string (with ... replaced by random characters) will always appear
in followups to my articles, so long as the other newsreaders don't
break threading.

If you want to filter all articles where MSB and I are replying directly
to each other, then look for articles from MSB where my message-ID
pattern is at the end of the References header, and vice versa. (I don't
know MSB's message-ID pattern, but it should be easy to figure out with
a little Googling.) If you want to filter the whole thread, then just
look for both of our message-IDs in the References header.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

In article <hcCdnYUZwdERJxrfRVn-gQ@giganews.com>, fiendish@hotmail.com wrote:

>I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E guys will
>find it useful but i have no compression software that allows spliting the
>file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to post it as one zip
>file the i have Windows XP compress but it never landed. Is there a size
>limit? If so what size is max?

Do NOT post that here!

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

Mere moments before death, Ubiquitous hastily scrawled:
>In article <hcCdnYUZwdERJxrfRVn-gQ@giganews.com>, fiendish@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>I am looking to post a 2Mb file to this group. I think all you 3E guys will
>>find it useful but i have no compression software that allows spliting the
>>file into chunks i.e. winzip, winrar, etc. I tried to post it as one zip
>>file the i have Windows XP compress but it never landed. Is there a size
>>limit? If so what size is max?
>
>Do NOT post that here!

That was the shortest week of my life!

Ed Chauvin IV