8400 CD/DVD audio cable connector?

Hi,

Has anyone worked out what to do with the audio lead that comes with DVD/CD
players?

Where does it plug into on the motherboard? I'm blowed if I can see
anywhere appropriate!

TIA.

It is not needed.

> It is not needed.

Forgive my ignorance, but if I play a DVD, where does the sound come from?

It comes through the data cable on any modern machine.

Tom

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It is not needed.
>>

> Forgive my ignorance, but if I play a DVD, where does the sound come from?

your speakers? :) Couldn't pass that up. Digital audio, not analog. No
analog cable needed. Enable digital in drive properties.

"Nick Cleevely" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It is not needed.
>>

> Forgive my ignorance, but if I play a DVD, where does the sound come from?

Generally, there are two audio connections on a CDROM/DVDROM, both of
which plug into your sound card. One is analog, the other digital
(also called s/pdif). The digital cable is usually not included, but
you may have lucked out. If you have an integrated sound chip, then it
'might' connect to the motherboard..don't know.

bigsley

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:06:29 GMT, "Nick Cleevely"
<postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone worked out what to do with the audio lead that comes with DVD/CD
>players?
>
>Where does it plug into on the motherboard? I'm blowed if I can see
>anywhere appropriate!
>
>TIA.

You are talking ancient history. New systems do not require either cable.

<anonymous> wrote in message
> Generally, there are two audio connections on a CDROM/DVDROM, both of
> which plug into your sound card. One is analog, the other digital
> (also called s/pdif). The digital cable is usually not included, but
> you may have lucked out. If you have an integrated sound chip, then it
> 'might' connect to the motherboard..don't know.
>
> bigsley

I have always wondered about that, but never took the time to research
it personally. Does anyone know why manuf continue to place connectors
both on sound cards and drives? On my Dim8200, the audio was connected
to the SBLive! when I received it. //bigsley

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:31:11 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You are talking ancient history. New systems do not require either cable.
>
><anonymous> wrote in message
>> Generally, there are two audio connections on a CDROM/DVDROM, both of
>> which plug into your sound card. One is analog, the other digital
>> (also called s/pdif). The digital cable is usually not included, but
>> you may have lucked out. If you have an integrated sound chip, then it
>> 'might' connect to the motherboard..don't know.
>>
>> bigsley

From the sound card to the DVD drive or from the sound card to the front
panel headphone jack?

Tom
<anonymous> wrote in message
>I have always wondered about that, but never took the time to research
> it personally. Does anyone know why manuf continue to place connectors
> both on sound cards and drives? On my Dim8200, the audio was connected
> to the SBLive! when I received it. //bigsley
>
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:31:11 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>You are talking ancient history. New systems do not require either cable.
>>
>><anonymous> wrote in message
>>> Generally, there are two audio connections on a CDROM/DVDROM, both of
>>> which plug into your sound card. One is analog, the other digital
>>> (also called s/pdif). The digital cable is usually not included, but
>>> you may have lucked out. If you have an integrated sound chip, then it
>>> 'might' connect to the motherboard..don't know.
>>>
>>> bigsley

Tom, I 'think' it was attached to the DVD..it was 2 1/2 yrs ago. Yes,
there was a wire to the front panel..I have used the jack. Perhaps the
connectors are for playing sound only using non-video players?

bigsley

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:49:47 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>From the sound card to the DVD drive or from the sound card to the front
>panel headphone jack?
>
>Tom
><anonymous> wrote in message
>>I have always wondered about that, but never took the time to research
>> it personally. Does anyone know why manuf continue to place connectors
>> both on sound cards and drives? On my Dim8200, the audio was connected
>> to the SBLive! when I received it. //bigsley
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:31:11 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>You are talking ancient history. New systems do not require either cable.
>>>
>>><anonymous> wrote in message

Could be. Probably just because it was 2 1/2 years ago.....

<anonymous> wrote in message
> Tom, I 'think' it was attached to the DVD..it was 2 1/2 yrs ago. Yes,
> there was a wire to the front panel..I have used the jack. Perhaps the
> connectors are for playing sound only using non-video players?
>
> bigsley
>
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:49:47 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>From the sound card to the DVD drive or from the sound card to the front
>>panel headphone jack?
>>
>>Tom
>><anonymous> wrote in message
>>>I have always wondered about that, but never took the time to research
>>> it personally. Does anyone know why manuf continue to place connectors
>>> both on sound cards and drives? On my Dim8200, the audio was connected
>>> to the SBLive! when I received it. //bigsley

According to what I have read about my Dim 8200 the audio cable was for
the analog signal IF your audio/video viewer did not use a direct
digital feed.

--
Steve