Northwood Released!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Check this out: <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,77564,00.asp" target="_new">PC World's article</A>

The 2.2Ghz Northwood is out but not officially yet. PC Worlds says it's going to cost from $609 to $624. Ouch! That's way way more than a GeForce3 Ti500, and I WILL not pay more for a CPU than a graphics card!!! I guess I'll have to stick with my "slow" 1.33GHz Athlon for a while longer. Anyway, can't wait to see the benchies! For that price that, it better crush the Athlon XP 1900+ or I'll be pissed!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
Well it does crush it, but merely by 10-15%. My advice? Don't buy any Intel these days, you're only to get ripped off by high costs and low performance. If you have checked the test article by Copenhagen's link, you will see that at the same speed the Northwood is still underperforming and does not catch up to any AXP 1700 or 1800 (Since you cannot clock AXPs at 1.5GHZ due to multiplier limits)
And also when you look at it, it's a 600MHZ gap from the best AXP and Northwood, so really, it has to beat it at some point! Still this does nothing to impress me, I expected more from my fellow Intel, but again they just proved their egoistic appeal for OEM marketting only. I doubt many are gonna get a Northwood here just for better performance. Wait for a new AXP, or the Tbred and we're back on the high speed lane, and then MHZ will mean more! (Well yeah, cuz once AMD reaches high speeds, MHZ will be everything! 0.13m will make us thirsty for more, seeing as AthlonXPs perform so damn well)

Hopefully this didn't sound too much harsh, but you can see that I am very disappointed at Intel, and that indeed they could've done more. We're still gonna have a low FPU in the P4, and there is still a huge pipeline that at anytime an error flows, it will flush and do it again entirely, therefore slowing the P4 again.
--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 12/29/01 11:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I will be waiting for the Throughbred and then comparing Northwood with that. Rumours are the Athlon XP 2000+ will cost around $400.

Personally I think <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/29120102.htm" target="_new">AMD ATHLON XP 2000+</A> (debuting in Jan 02) will be on par with a 2.2Ghz Northwood.

I think we will see another price war next year as well as higher performance/Clocked chips from both AMD and Intel.

Woo Hoo !

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

ya i hear ya lol.

It's cool it's out though. And ya that price is pretty insane. But give it time. As the economy recovers and people have money you'll be seeing that price drop in a few months.

besides what can a 2.2ghz do that your 1.33ghz can't? lol.. i can actually name a few. You would lose your fireplace for one *chuckle* and you would miss out on burning up cpu's. just messin .... my 1.4ghz axp runs as cool as 42C under load jumps up to 45 though lol. (damn i love this case!)

can't wait to see what AMD does next! Oh wait it's a die shrink. Although a pretty big deal. Die shrink is no small potato. Maybe they will add nifty things like a decent thermal diode and have it run half the watts it already does. that sure would be nifty..

just messin ! ;)

happy holidays!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

eden

Champion
Well like Raystonn said, the top of the line is always expensive!
It is hard to find a good price, and the AXP 1900 is 423$ CDN here, which is bad IMO, especially it's 1.6GHZ at that cost though, against a 1.6GHZ P4 which is only 300$ CDN, I guess the PR does the change here!

Still, each time a new chip comes out, the top one goes lower priced, and then comes the always welcome price drops! So basically we still get better bang of the buck by AMD so far. To me, even if the economy comes back to normal, screw that I mean it's 600$ damn US bucks!! You think we as computer experts are actually that stupid to pay for something that we can get for 3 times less and better performance? Lol, Intel, lol. There were times those guys shined, but now they lost my eye on their glow.

I wish one day they will finally catch up in speed, continuing on par, so no more confusions about PRICE, and PERFORMANCE. If the AXP at 2.5GHZ is better than the NW 2.5GHZ, and it is 20% less costly, then you do the math. But we'll have to agree though, if we take off the PR rating, and use raw MHZ with AMD, they would stand to lose a lot of average consumers. Since the 1.6GHZ costs a tad less than a 1.9GHZ P4, and Joes see the PR 1900 as 1.9GHZ, that can make a huge loss for AMD here. So basically the Tbred might help remove the PR and use raw MHZ back to comparing.

Right now the problem is that they aren't going in 100MHZ increments, resulting in a loss of value per increased XP rating! The more the PR raises, the lower the alternative in MHZ, and the lower the value the PR gives compared to a Tbird. Do you get what I am saying? I did a thread once on it, that because of the bad incremental value, an XP 1900 is NOT the performance of a 1.9GHZ Tbird sadly. In recent benchmarks the 1900 is outperforming the P4 2GHZ quite well, but not in a margin that the Tbird would have done at 1.9GHZ. I recall the Tbird 1.4GHZ's max best performance before it was beaten, was 400MHZ. So basically a 1.8GHZ and higher is needed to beat it. Now the Tbird 1.9GHZ should be better than P4 2.3GHZ right? But the AXP proves it wrong! I hope they rectify that.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 12/29/01 03:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Sorry, but these price speculations are wrong. Wait for the real release in January.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
PC World is a respected magazine! I don't believe they'd write "rumours". They probably got this info directly from Intel!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Sorry, but the prices they quoted were wrong. Respected or not, it is bad information.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
There are 3 things you can count on in live, death, taxes and AMD coming back to the top. To tell you the truth that's why everybody likes them, maybe there's more reason, but AMD clearly knows what it has to do, what it must and has to do, this is not a debate, but a must.

With the new CPU for AMD or Intel, are there any need for new mobo or chips?

defrage is child's play-fdisk

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
especially it's 1.6GHZ at that cost though, against a 1.6GHZ P4 which is only 300$ CDN, I guess the PR does the change here!

so what you're saying is a p4 1.6 is comparable to an xp1900?

[insert philosophical statement here]

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
We will see...but according to PC World, Intel will lower the price to $560 on January 27.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"We will see...but according to PC World, Intel will lower the price to $560 on January 27."

There is no price drop scheduled for the 2.2GHz or 2.0GHz Northwood Pentium 4 in January, only the release price.

-Raystonn

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Again, we will see. Man, you must be very high up the food chain at Intel to know all this stuff.

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
raystonn is ;)

raystonn: since the northwood is out, can you release your marks now?

well anywho, you may have to pay more for top o' the line quality products but i rather get more bang for mi buck! unless i was rich and sn0bby i'd run and get a northwood just like that!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The Northwood is not technically out yet... so I cannot release anything.

-Raystonn

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
indeed.
such extreme prices are the usual pre release 'early bird' cpu's floating around.
happens every time it seems.

im really hanging out for the benchmarks on Mr northie.

P.S. what's it gonna be called?
still just the pentium4?
pentium4 se?
pentium4 xp?
pentium4.1?
pentium5?

suppoze your NDA covers all this. ahh well

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, Pentium 4.1! Hmm, A P4 with a built in 4.1 surround sound decoder!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Not too much stuff tough! Remember the Cyrix MediaGX or whatever it was called (I don't recall the exact name). It was a fully integrated chip, basically a computer system on a chip.