CPU running horrible

G

My computer is about 2 1/2 years old, and its been running pretty horrible lately. Many programs take forever to open, I try to install things like games and it just always locks up and freezes (making me unable to install it) I try to tun defrag and it just stays at 0% and never gets started. Yes a new computer would be the best thing i'd think but i don't have the money for that right now. Any one have any idea what I could do to fix this? My co,puter is a P3 450mhz, 128 ram, 9gig HD, only about 2gigs free. I was thinking if there were any way to just delete everything on my computer and start from new again, id be willing to do that if it would fix it.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Defrag on Windows 9x systems will not run if anything else is accessing or running, including Screensavers, SETI@home, Winamp agents, or anything else. Close down practically everything first, then try running it.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
just format, hopefully you have all of your programs on CD or something. if you dont burn it, i dont suggest making an image because then you might just reinstall the problem.

G

ok how exactly do backup everything and reformat the Hard drive. No im not that stupid on computers, just never done it before and rather not screw things up more ;(

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, I would just copy all my personal documents to a CD-RW or Zip disk and reformat.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

well im trying to reformat now, dont think im doing it right, i right click on the C:\ and select format and says it cant format it because there are files being used by windows in it, which makes sence obviously. Do i need to do it in like... msdos somehow? maybe?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Yes, you do it in dos. Make a startup disk and boot from that.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Step 1: Create Win98 boot disk, if you don't have one.
Step 2: Boot system with disk.
Step 3: C:/: fdisk."
Step 4: Delete primary DOS partition.
Step 5: Reboot with disk.
Step 6: Start "fdisk" and create new primary DOS partition, either using the whole drive, or partitioning it...your call.
Step 7: Reboot with disk.
Step 8: "C:/: format c:"
Step 9: Wait until it's finished, then reboot with disk.
Step 10: load Windows 98 CD, type, "d:", then "setup."

There you go. Don't forget to take the floppy disk out after the Windows intallation starts.

G

oops thx ill give it a try<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dobbo on 12/30/01 01:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
You may also want to save your bookmarks, mail messages, and address book info. Should be able to export the addresses to a file (*.csv) and forward the messages back to your own email address. Your bookmarks should aready be in a C:\**\Favorites folder somewhere.
Or course your MS Office docs should be in your My Documents folder.
Remember periodically reformatting is a GOOD thing, especially if you're like me and download a lot of things I never end up using anyway.

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
if dobbo is formatting right now and can never get his computer running again, shame on you guys. we should have explained more before he went off and formatted..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu don't even need a boot disk, if your BIOS is set to boot off CD-Rom first. When it comes up and ask if you want to boot from hard drive or CD-ROM, choose CD by using the arrow keys. When it's finished booting, it will give you drive letters for your CD-ROMs. Assuming your CD-ROM is drive D:, simply type (without parenthesis) "D:" then hit the enter key. Then type "CD Win98" and enter again. Then type "format C:", when it ask "Really" type the letter "Y" then enter. When it's done, hit the enter key for no name on the partition. Then type "setup" and the enter key, and follow the instructions.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
even better! Just "format c: /q" for a quick format which just erases the file systems and makes a new blank one.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If it's not too late, you can defrag and run scandisk in Windows Safe Mode. You might have a badly fragmented disk or crosslinked files and these tools will fix you up, well get you back to speed.

With cross linked files, usually one gets recovered and the other gets truncated. This can be bad depending on what file it is. But no matter the case, while the files are crosslinked neither file is usuable. If too many files are crosslinked then a reformat and clean Windows install is your only option. Try to write down the names of the files that have been crosslinked, which ones are restored, and which ones are truncated. It's possible you can replace these files with good copies from disk or CD-ROM.

The disk tools will be slow in Safe Mode (especially defragging) but they should at least finish the job. If you have time do the intensive surface scan. A damaged hard drive can give you problems later. Scandisk can mask bad clusters but I recommend replacing such a drive. All disks have defects but these are detected at the factory with extremely sensitive equipment and permanently masked. Problems that occur once a drive leaves the factory is usually very bad news.

To start in Safe Mode, while booting hold down the CTRL key until you see the menu. Select "Safe Mode".

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

G

pop in ur boot disk... restart...run fdisk (type "a:\fdisk")
do nothing... exit fdisk... restart with boot disk still in ur drive... run format(A:\format c:/q)...or without "/q"... take a bath ...open ur fridge and eat whatever u wan...drink some water... check if the format finish yet...if not...take a nap............

G

pop in ur boot disk... restart...run fdisk (type "a:\fdisk")
do nothing... exit fdisk... restart with boot disk still in ur drive... run format(A:\format c:/q)...or without "/q"... take a bath ...open ur fridge and eat whatever u wan...drink some water... check if the format finish yet...if not...take a nap............