Sign in with
Your question

WIN XP virtual won't start

Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2013 5:12:04 PM

Hello,
Hello,

I recently downloaded and installed the necessary files to install the virtual PC on my computer. I'm running Win7 Pro, but needed XP in order to run a software program that is vital to my small business.

I was able to accomplish downloading and installing the files in the order suggested. But here is where I am now:

The software I'm installing for XP is old and is in 3 parts. You first install disk 1 (main program) then reboot (although it didn't tell me to reboot, that info is in my notes). then you have to install disk 2, followed by a 3rd disk that runs the hardware key.

I was able to install disk 1. (or at least I believe it installed). I rebooted and could not locate my program. I went to the Virtual PC and selected WIN XP mode which said it was starting, but about 1/3 of the way thru - it stopped. I tried this several times and got the same results.

I'm at a loss. Should I have enabled something somewhere that I neglected to do? I read another post that said enabling virtual computer in the BIOS. I didn't do anything with the BIOS since I'm an not very familiar with WIN7.

My drive is 500gb. 60gb used. 2 gb memory.
WIN7 Pro.

I just disk a disk clean and registry clean followed by disk defrag.

Is there a way to allocate memory to a virtual drive? I don't get any 'not enough memory' error messages. It just quits.

thank you

More about : win virtual start

a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 5:21:07 PM

firstly remove your email address unless you want spammed

havent used xp mode

but have used virtualbox

https://www.virtualbox.org/

free software that lets you run other operating systems inside windows

this does allow allocating whatever amount of memory you want to it--and how much hard drive space--and how much graphics memory

you would need a xp disc or xp iso to do it this way

and yes you need to turn on virtualisation in the bios--assuming your cpu supports it

though it may be turned on by default
m
l
February 13, 2013 5:30:56 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
firstly remove your email address unless you want spammed

Thanks for that.

havent used xp mode

but have used virtualbox

https://www.virtualbox.org/

free software that lets you run other operating systems inside windows

this does allow allocating whatever amount of memory you want to it--and how much hard drive space--and how much graphics memory

you would need a xp disc or xp iso to do it this way

I had a multiple use XP Pro disk around here somewhere. all of my other systems use it, but not sure if it still works.

and yes you need to turn on virtualisation in the bios--assuming your cpu supports it

I'm assuming the virtualization was turned on since I was able to originally load it. but - I'll check it. It's been a long time since I've monkeyed around in the bios. I have to remember how to get into it. CNTRL DEL? or F2 or something. Offhand, where do I find it in the BIOS?

though it may be turned on by default

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 5:35:35 PM

depends on your motherboard

most common to enter bios is del or f2 or f1

will be under the cpu section of your bios i guess

again lots of different bioses
m
l
Related resources