Intel P4 Northwood 'A' & Northwood 'B'

G

Hi everyone, hows life?

I'm new here and have a question about Intel P4 Northwood 'A' and 'B'

I've read that Northwood A will run at 400mhz FSB with PC800 RDRAM
and that in Q2 or Q3 2002, Intel will do Northwood B which will run at 533mhz FSB with PC1066 RDRAM

My question is that if one buys a S478 850 board now which supports Northwood A, what is the max processor that Intel would release with a 400mhz FSB compared to a 533mhz FSB

I see the roadmap says that Q4 2002 will bring a 2.5Ghz Northwood A but there is no mention after that

So how long will Intel run Northwood A and Northwood B along side each other and what can we expect as the maxiumum speed Intel would release in Northwood A?

Happy New Year

K

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Northwood A will continue to be released in higher speed grades for quite a while: at the very least for all of 2002. While I do not know for sure, it will likely be around much longer than that as well.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Hi there
Do you reckon it they will release atleast a Pentium 4 3Ghz Northwood A 400mhz FSB?
So far on the roadmap I have seen a 2.5Ghz Northwood A for Q4 2002
Technically they should release CPU's in both Northwood A and B past 2002 but no idea

Am I also right in believing that a current S478 Intel 850 board will be able to run whatever Northwood A CPU Intel release?
Say they release a 3Ghz as the last Northwood A, would that be the top a S478 850 - 400mhz FSB board could take?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KRich on 12/29/01 08:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I really do not know beyond the end of 2002 at the moment. I will check and if I find anything I can release, I will let you know.

Your S478 motherboard should be able to run any Northwood A Pentium 4 processor. However, it is up to the motherboard manufacturer to release a new BIOS whenever it needs to support further speed grades. You should be able to simply flash a new BIOS and be fine.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Thank you very much Raystonn that is a great help

If there is any info you can release about future Northwood A speeds that would be greatly appreciated thanks

Just one more thing - there are rumours that the ABIT TH7II would be able to run Northwood B as well and that it would support 533mhz FSB RDRAM - would that be possible and if so would it need a BIOS flash or something or is the board perhaps already able to accept 533mhz RDRAM?

K

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Raystonn, I'm curious about your job at Intel! What's your title and what exactly do you do at Intel?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Just one more question, sorry about this!

Currently we have the 850 S478 motherboards, but I read that Intel will release Tehama-E in Q2 2002 which will offer the 533mhz FSB RDRAM

This would mean that the 850 S478 would be phased out?

Even if it is phased out I assume that Intel will still release processors which can work with the 850 S478?

Generally speaking, would I be right in thinking that with applicable BIOS updates that a board using the current 850 S478 chipset will be able to run the top P4 CPU which Intel release in Northwood A?

Say Intel release a 3.5Ghz Northwood A before only doing Northwood B, then the current 850 S478 would be able to run that processor with BIOS update?

Sorry for all these questions but I need to upgrade in Jan 02 so want to choose the Intel Chipset which is the most future proof

I am considering getting one of the current 850 S478 boards and really want some idea of how long they will be future proof

K

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
he warms toilet sits for managers..
he shakes them for info when they "need to go.."

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

G

I'm sorry Raystonn, I didn't mean for you to get any flak off others because of the questions I ask in this post about the Northwood A, B and Intel 850 S478

K

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KRIch on 12/30/01 01:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
there are rumours that the ABIT TH7II would be able to run Northwood B as well and that it would support 533mhz FSB RDRAM - would that be possible and if so would it need a BIOS flash or something or is the board perhaps already able to accept 533mhz RDRAM?
This is very possible and may or may not require a BIOS flash. It depends on whether or not the motherboard's Direct Rambus Clock Generators are capable of providing a 533MHz signal that is clear of jitter atifacts. You will have to ask Abit on this one.

-Raystonn

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
This would mean that the 850 S478 would be phased out?
The i850 chipset is the Tehama chipset. The Tehama-E would simply be the extension from a 400MHz System Bus to a 533MHz System Bus. If you have a Tehama chipset motherboard that you can run at a 533MHz System Bus clock, then you basically have a Tehama-E, minus the other enhancements.

Generally speaking, would I be right in thinking that with applicable BIOS updates that a board using the current 850 S478 chipset will be able to run the top P4 CPU which Intel release in Northwood A?
This should be correct. Your motherboard manufacturer will need to continue making BIOS patches to support later and later processors with varying speeds and voltages.

Say Intel release a 3.5Ghz Northwood A before only doing Northwood B, then the current 850 S478 would be able to run that processor with BIOS update?
Most likely, yes. See above.

Sorry for all these questions but I need to upgrade in Jan 02 so want to choose the Intel Chipset which is the most future proof
I recommend the i850 chipset with a couple Samsung 256MB PC800 modules (for a total of 512MB of memory.)

-Raystonn

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I'm sorry Raystonn, I didn't mean for you to get any flak off others because of the questions I ask in this post about the Northwood A, B and Intel 850 S478
Do not worry about it. When you walk through a ghetto, someone will inevitably do a drive-by. This is the nature of the beast. You have but three choices at times like this. You can either A) leave the ghetto (stop posting here), B) clean the place up so it is no longer a ghetto (the moderator is a bit lax here, so that is not really an option), or C) Put on a bullet-proof vest and ignore them. I choose C. It is unfortunate what has happened to this forum, but we have little power to actually do much of anything about it.

-Raystonn

G

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it

I am going to go with the option you suggested

Thanks again very much

Have a happy new year and thank you for everything

K