Sign in with
Your question

WTF? HELP ME PLEASE

Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2001 4:32:42 PM

I upgraded my cpu today, went from a celeron 633@950 to a P3 1ghz. My motherboard supports P3`s up to 1.13. I put the f**king thing in and start up all is ok. I go right to 3dmark 2001 all is ok then in the lobby seen it kicks me back to desktop, hmm.... I try again, it locks up in dragothic, try again locks up in car chase,hmmm, I can surf the web fine, Try RTCW, locks up after a few minutes , same with UT. I did nothing different than change the cpu, 3d mark has never locked up on me,I had my pc133 at cls 2 with the celeron and it worked fine, but I changed it back to cas 3 to see if this was the problem,since my fsb is now 133 instead of 100, it made no difference. Heres the rest of it.
512 mbs pc133 (1 crucial dimm, 1 pny dimm)
Radeon 8500 retail ( had no probs before)

You`ll get nothing and like it.

More about : wtf

December 13, 2001 4:40:26 PM

ditto with the heat thing...how about an updated bios for your motherboard?

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB
Related resources
December 13, 2001 5:34:42 PM

Well, I pulled out the pny dimm and all is well. So whats up with that?

December 13, 2001 5:49:01 PM

Did you reinstall the OS? You may need to so the OS and newly installed drivers can use the new extensions supported by the PIII.
December 13, 2001 6:49:24 PM

try reinstalling the os and the video drivers

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>
December 13, 2001 6:52:49 PM

Try disabling AGP fast writes. I had problems with 3DMark2001 with my Radeon 8500 till I disabled that.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet
December 13, 2001 6:53:51 PM

He shouldn't have to do that with a CPU swap only.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet
December 13, 2001 8:06:51 PM

I`m running an intel system on windows me, so fastwrites is not supported. Either one of my ram dimms work alone, but if I throw them both in I get the lock ups.
Soyo sy-71s2
intel 815ep(solano)
maxtor 5400 40gb uata100 hd
philips seismic edge
CRASHMAN, I`M WAITING ON YOU`RE OPINION HERE.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2001 8:24:01 PM

ram's cheap enough. just buy another stick of identical crucial. i'm betting the problem will just go away.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2001 8:53:40 PM

Here's an idea you can try, and maybe you won't have to buy more RAM.

Maybe it would work if you have the two RAM modules plugged in so that they end up being in different banks. Say slot 1 and 3. Or what the hey try all different combo's, I mean, if it works it would be worth it.

That has worked for me for a slightly different configuration of components. Maybe you have already tried it, oh well it seems worth mentioning.
December 13, 2001 10:02:19 PM

It obvious that one of your sticks of Ram is not handling the 133 FSB. You state that if you pull the PNY stick it runs fine. Just to double check, try seeing what happens if you only run the PNY stick with the crucial stick uninstalled. If this still causes crashes then you have no option other than to get a new stick of Ram to replace the PNY with.

As for the others who suggested that you needed to re-install your OS and video drivers after nothing but a simple CPU upgrade, I scratch my head and wonder why they are offering any advice when they obviously know nothing.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2001 10:48:32 PM

twc says that it goes ok with either stick, just not both.

It looks like both sticks can handle the 133 fsb just fine, but they both handle it with slightly different timings. seems odd that an o/c'ed celeery should be ok with it, but a stock p3 isn't.

i s'pose the p3 just wants tighter timing/less skew/whatever. If slowing down the ram settings in bios doesn't help, and there's no bios update which addresses ram compatibility, and that bank sapping thing doesn't work, then a new stick(or two) is your only fix.
December 14, 2001 1:29:26 AM

Not necessarily, at 100 fsb the ram timing diferences may not have been as extreme as they are at 133. I am curious to see what a third stick would do ( not three sticks total but a third stick to pair with either of the two he currently has). If th problem still exist, then the issue is with either the motherboard or power supply.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2001 4:02:51 AM

Try replacing both sticks with Crucial, then give your old sticks to relatives for Chistmas as upgrades for their 100MHz FSB machines. I have seen more bad RAM than I could shake a module, er, stick at!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
December 15, 2001 1:35:26 PM

This is getting wierd, getting random lockups with just the crucial dimm now, just in games, cleared my cmos yesterday, put both dimms in and made it thru 3dmark, thought that did the trick, tried it again and it locked up, hmm..Power went out on the wall my pc is on, hours later it just came back on.What is the diff. in power requirements for the P3 over the celley? I have a 300w ps.

a b à CPUs
December 15, 2001 5:09:38 PM

Not much more power for the PIII than the Cellery. It could be a bad DIMM, or a BIOS issue, or unstable voltage.

December 20, 2001 1:11:29 PM

update, I bought another crucial dimm, same result, returned it.Giants was freezing on me everytime, even with one stick in, other games were fine though. Could this be a bad cpu, I put my celeron back in and all is well.Im` sending this cpu back as I only have a 15 day warranty. And they are going to send me another to try.

a b à CPUs
December 20, 2001 1:33:28 PM

Did you make sure your voltage is stable during your game?

December 20, 2001 11:10:58 PM

Sorry Crash, not sure what voltage you mean, and how? I have MBM 5 wich monitors all my voltages but i'm not sure how to check it during the game, or which one to check.Is it possible that a stock cpu could need additional voltage?

a b à CPUs
December 20, 2001 11:46:40 PM

It's possible that any sudden swing in voltage could lock up the CPU. You use more power during a game, as the CPU and GPU work harder. Many power supplies that at first appear more than adequate suddenly get quirky under the changing load.
The Vcore and I/O voltage are probably the most important of these for stability. Some CPU's are more sensitive than others to voltage drops or swings. And if your power supply was already near the edge with the old CPU, the new one may be just enough to push it over.

a b à CPUs
December 20, 2001 11:50:09 PM

BTW, you might try 7t/9t for the memory.

December 21, 2001 1:17:31 PM

Understood, rhanks crash.

a b à CPUs
December 21, 2001 2:51:30 PM

I was in a similar position the last time I installed an Antec power supply in my system.

December 21, 2001 7:07:12 PM

check the VCORE, and get a better fan.
sorry if some one posted something similar..just didnt want to read the hall thing.. :) 

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
December 21, 2001 8:24:48 PM

Thats what I have. An Antec 300 watt, thier no good huh?

December 21, 2001 8:37:50 PM

i ment for you to ckech the Vcore setting in BIOS for the CPU.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
December 21, 2001 9:37:36 PM

It was the same as on the chip 1.74v.

December 21, 2001 9:42:41 PM

Heres the thing, the overclocked celeron is running at 1.9v and the stock P3 at 1.75 so I dont see how my PS can support the 1.9 for the celly, but have probs supporting the P3's 1.75.I.ve been running the celley for 7 months like that with no probs.

December 22, 2001 7:03:09 AM

take down the core to 1.7/1.75.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
January 16, 2002 12:15:33 PM

Update. I got a replacement processor and am having the same problem. I tried new ram stick (crucial), I replaced my power supply, still have the problem, cannot run 512 megs in 3d games and even getting random lock ups with 256 megs.My MB allows me to set the ram speed to 100 even though I have a 133 processor, It still locks up even at 100mhz and cas3.

January 16, 2002 12:55:08 PM

Running detonator 23.11? Try dropping down to 21.81 to see if that will fix the hang up problems. Been reports out on the net of problems with 23.11 across MANY platforms.
January 16, 2002 3:05:37 PM

Nah, I have a 8500 retail so detonators are not the culprit here.

January 16, 2002 3:09:26 PM

Opps! Sorry, I was asleep at the keyboard. :smile:
January 16, 2002 3:45:17 PM

Is it possible that even though i'm not overclocking this cpu that it may need more voltage? I know for a fact that my cpu temp sensor on this board is wrong, it does'nt matter what cpu I have in or what fan or wether its overclocked or not it always gives the same temp readings (75-78c), but it's not accurate, so maybe the core voltage readings are a little off to.

!