Intel going with X86-64...

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/12120122.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/12120122.htm</A>

<font color=red><i>99% of statistics are made up!</i></font color=red>
64 answers Last reply
More about intel
  1. please, everyone... stop posting inquirer stories. It's not reputable.

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>
  2. I wouldn't doubt it of both AMD & Intel both have chips for x86-64 AND IA64........it would seem common sense, AMD Takes info. off Intel for IA64, and Intel takes info off AMD for x86-64, egt the idea? =) works out best for the consumer.....

as far as Intel_Inside saying The Inquirer is not reputable......i do agree with as on the TABLOID/FLYER/Newsparer version...as far as the Inquirer Website for computer news, why do u say its not reputable, etc. ?

Do they spread viscous lies/rumours or something ? or you just dont like the way they express facts ?

-MeTaL RoCkEr

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new"> <b> My Rig </b> </A>
  3. They tend to post alot of rumours, and rumours are fine, but people in this forum post them as if they are facts.

I am curious if a version of windows is being programed for x86-64... as one has been programed for the Itanium. Obviously they won't be compatible since the Itanium and the hammer will be completely different architectures but amd needs microsoft's support if they want to market their chip to the general public.

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>
  4. Inquirer isnt a good source in my views. I think if i see it on 5 or 6 sites then yeah it could be true.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
  5. Quote:
    They tend to post alot of rumours, and rumours are fine, but people in this forum post them as if they are facts.

If someone dosent know enough to realize that the inquirer posts rumors(which in my oppinion generally are trus since I have been reading it for nearly a year) then they deserve to be misled.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
  6. If someone dosent know enough to realize that the inquirer posts rumors(which in my oppinion generally are trus since I have been reading it for nearly a year) then they deserve to be misled
    ---------------------------------------
    What were you implying?Am I not to trust Incuirer or ....err or what?
    Just a simple question.
    My mother tongue is not english so I often feel like an outsider in here.
  7. The inquirer posts rumors, they may or may not be true, one should know this when reading, if they do not realize that this is their own issue.

I personally think the inquirer and the register are right about 80% of the time, from my own experience reading them, others may disagree, but when someone posts a link to a story it should NEVER be assumed to be factual, especially on the internet. I also think this poster did not post it intending it to be taken as hard fact, as it is the inquirer after all, and even 80% is not good enough for me to straight away believe them.

However a few days ago they said dell was dropping the itanium, a comment which several intelites in this forum denied as fud....low and behold dell announced it officially today, then again, the inquirer has said some stuff which was so off base it wasnt even funny.

8. well, the news does ave some sense!

The Itanium isnt doing well, the platform itself is too costly, slow and generates a lot of heat that vendors are having problems managing it. Add to it that the Itanium needs special compiler to generate favourable code for it which means all major applications have to be recompiled or rewritten to suit the architecture.

The x86-64 is a simple extension of the traditional x86 architecture which is completely self-contained as far as optimal coding is concerned and does not need people to make new compilers for new architecture and software vendors to rewrite the code.

As far as adaptability iod concerened the x86-64 is better of the two, but for raw performance a properly compiled Itanium code would be superior. What will suit the people right now? Thats the question and I guess its answered already.

If Intel takes up x86-64 it would be good for them as well as people that they will have some option in terms of hardware.

If its a rumour its okay. Nobody is expecting that anyway.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
  9. i think the inquirer needs some page 3 girls!

- Know thyself
    - Seek
    - Love
    - Cherish Life
    - And do not Yield!
  10. Quote:
    Inquirer isnt a good source in my views. I think if i see it on 5 or 6 sites then yeah it could be true.

That's rich, coming from Mr. "nVidia to buy AMD!!!"

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
  11. In this day of the internet where things in the marketplace are nothing short of cutthroat, people need to survive. The Inquirer and The Register do so by trying to serve up early news. Be it mostly rhumors and some factoids, but some of it is pretty good info. of course you gotta take it with a grain'o salt. But you can't always go YAY when the news suits you and shout out libel when it doesn't.

I think this story might hold some truth, because Itanium (or Itanic as we know it) doesn't seem to be doing too well so far. They might need a stepping stone, so the x86-64 experiments don't seem like a bad idea.

ps. matt its not intended towards you, but certain people in this forum who seem to cry wolf at anything they dislike. They know who they are. :wink:

12. Well, Itanium is doing very well.
    Thanks lemming crew for blowing smoke up people ass.

For those of you that have never seen one, and prob will not see one for the next year or so. STFU already, your spreading more crap than the inquirer can.

And reguarding that comment, slow and overheating. untrue, its more like wishfull thinking. If Itanium can shave years off a project and better the MIPS counterparts by 2:1 margin. how the [-peep-] can you call that slow?? let alone were stacking 512 CPU's in a single frame. That sure blows the inquirer's "Only 500 sold" theory. the heat,the heat oh no the heat.... Coming from a AMD lemming, that is like the pope telling a gay sexual catholic school boy joke.

You girls are better off talking about something you know first hand and not what you read on some tabloid.

Should we mention who dropped AMD recently??

Dell is consumer and small business oreinted, they dont have the clients to warrant Itanium sales like we do. makes me wonder why they even tried to sell the Itanium in the first place.
  13. It's actually pretty damn funny watching you get bent out of shape whenever you encounter some uncomfortable bit of news like this. Haven't you realized that by now?

Kelledin
    [dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
    init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  14. You know what I dont know who droped AMD recently so why dont you tell me?

Witness the speed of a 1x Cd-rom and dispair.
  15. what are you in denial, a bunch of Co's kicked AMD to 'da curb.

Tiny, Gateway, Fujitsu(sorta) 1000's Vars, me.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
  16. let alone were stacking 512 CPU's in a single frame. That sure blows the inquirer's "Only 500 sold" theory. the heat,the heat oh no the heat.... Coming from a AMD lemming, that is like the pope telling a gay sexual catholic school boy joke.
    ---------------------------
    So you can put 512 CPU's in a single frame(I'm impressed).How many frames did you need all and all?A Bazillion?
    Your sales must be soaring!
  17. Hey, I come to learn and discuss cutting edge technology. I stay to laugh at Fugger's, Meltdown's and Intel's (among others) antics.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
    Bill Gates nipping at your wallet
  18. Era sales are "soaring" with all the new contracts for 2002.

Bront, Thanks for noticing!

Thanks meltdown for the condensed list.

Kelledin, shurg... bent? was it the catholic school boy joke reference?
  19. so you havent acually built or sold any Itanum systems yet you just have comtracts?

20. so you havent acually built or sold any Itanum systems yet you just have comtracts?
    also i would not be suprised if the contracts did not include some sort of escape clause, so the systems are not acually sold yet but a company has said that somtime in 2002 they will buy a system from you. correct?

21. It's that every time someone posts bad news relating to Intel, you whine and cry and moan.

"Waah waah, Intel rules and you're full of crap. Waah waah, the official datasheets lie. Waah waah, all those benchmarks/tests are faked/rigged/biased." -- that's more-or-less what you sound like. :lol:

Seems you have a major problem handling facts when they show Intel in a bad light. It's very entertaining.

Kelledin
  22. Era sales are "soaring" with all the new contracts for 2002.
    ---------------------
    Well good for you.If you are getting any profit of it..hm ,makes me think.
    Well it did for a split second though.
  23. Vader, From what I can count personaly. were over 10K Itanium processors sold/delivered since July. We had huge preorders before they were even available. Some installations comprised of hundreds of Itaniums. Dont forget who we sell to and what we sell. So vader your statement is fales, we have sold/installed thousands of Itaniums without a "escape clause" - LOL, something you use when you sell AMD's?. We build mission critical machines and stand behind everything 100%. Think we can afford fuckups like AMD? no way in hell would we ruin our spotless reputation doing something stupid/avoidable like that!

Kelledin, lay off the crack pipe. only one whining and moaning here is you. In the passed you were able to come up with a decent reply, not your resulting to very lame insults. Comon guy you can do better staying on topic.
  24. Quote:
    the pope telling a gay sexual catholic school boy joke.

I don't think i've heard that one. How does it go?

25. Yet another off topic post...

Well, stroll over to our <A HREF="http://www.sgi.com" target="_new">homepage</A>, notice the recent contracts and projects listed in the newsroom for december. now add them up... 10 million? no 20 million? no 50 million? getting closer but no. in excess of 100 million in contracts. Thats more than you will make your entire life. Its undisclosed how much we will make from the 100 billion dollar JSF project. yep thats billions!

And I was looking at stock quotes from MSN and they listed us as a <A HREF="http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/srs/transparency.asp?Symbol=SGI" target="_new">"small company"</A> =P
  26. Its better if the Pope tells it.
  27. Quote:
    In the passed you were able to come up with a decent reply, not your resulting to very lame insults.

In the "passed" and in the present, you've been proven wrong so many times it's not even funny. You keep claiming the Athlon is more power-hungry than the P4--guess what, the official datasheets prove you wrong. You keep claiming the P4 is faster than the Athlon--guess what, almost every reputable benchmark out there shows the current P4 getting whipped by the Athlon. You keep claiming the Athlon is unstable, and you keep pointing to badly skewed statistics to "prove" it--all I have to do is point to all the professional reviewers who give it perfect stability ratings.

Quote:
    Comon guy you can do better staying on topic.

I didn't visit this thread so much for the topic. Right now, I frankly don't really care about Itanium, or Intel's 64-bit plans. I just popped into this thread because I knew you'd inevitably come in and be the first to whine and throw around personal insults.

Keep it up. We all get a good laugh seeing you make a fool out of yourself. :lol:

Kelledin
  28. first why did you not say that you had "over 10K Itanium processors sold/delivered since July" in your earlier post.

second how can we "forget who we sell to and what we sell"
    you have never told us.

third "we have sold/installed thousands of Itaniums" now I thought it was over 10K so why did you not say we have sold/installed over 10 thousand Itaniums?

fourth "We build mission critical machines and stand behind everything 100%" so you have good tech support?

Fifth "no way in hell would we ruin our spotless reputation" now what reputation would that be? I've never heard you mention what company you work for. one more thing I'm a student and i wish i did sell AMD systems.

29. Your yet to prove me wrong, more wishfull thinking.

Ok, riddle me this. Generic 300 watt PSU works great for P4 with a drive attached to every power connector and sucks ass for AMD without any drives attached? would it have anything to do with power consumption? go figure!

The best benchmark is the sheer number of "help me my amd xxx" posts on this forum and every other foum known to man. How can you have performance if your machine doesnt work or is not stable. But you will ignore posts as if they did not exist because your a AMD lemming and those are all made up posts by Intel fans who have nothing better to do.

AMD lemmings always boast how stable their machine is, yet often I see "help me posts" by them because thier machine doesnt work. Kinda like Grizely1 saying that Athlons dont self conbust, yet he fried 2 of them.

Seems your the one who is whining. =) whaaaa
  30. Quote:
    Generic 300 watt PSU works great for P4 with a drive attached to every power connector and sucks ass for AMD without any drives attached?

<A HREF="http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282378" target="_new">Wrong.</A> :lol:

Quote:
    The best benchmark is the sheer number of "help me my amd xxx"

Like I said, skewed statistics. Almost everyone on these boards built an Athlons system as their last system, and most of them didn't even need help. :tongue:

The <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">last guy</A> who dealt with a P4 on these boards had to replace a fried GeForce. Intel's fault or not, the same exact GeForce card works just fine in my system. Intel platforms just don't have compatibility problems, do they? :wink:

Kelledin
  31. Who do we sell too? Goverments, military, medical and aerospace to name a few.

Ive posted it in other threads. My appologies for not repeating myself.

We have world class tech support teams, high priced compared to rivals but we gotta keep the bills paid. The basic service contract starts with phone support only and goes all the way of to same day onsite.

I am a "Advanced Systems Integrator" for Silicon Graphics Inc. aka SGI. I've been here for 6 years now. I specialize in cross platform integration. I speak most network OS's and certified by dozens of hardware manufacturers.

AMD has approched us to integrate Athlons, but due to the poor stability, thermal problems, and compatability we avoid AMD like the plague.
  32. "No BSOD or any other anomaly"

Re-read that <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">thread</A>, LMAO because it seems you didnt.

That Geforce MX score was right on the money based on others in his class. That card was not "fried" like you claim. GG! Once again your proven WRONG!

Once again re-read that <A HREF="http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282378" target="_new">thread</A>. His system was working and died due to a still unkown failure. Im sure it took you a long time to dig up that P4T-E post. yet I can click on any page in this forum and find numerous help me AMD posts. let alone you had to get it from a differnt forum. lastly It had nothing to do with PSU, just you posting that your AMD systems suck with anything less than a 300watt PSU. Wraaa! I win

Reguarding your skewed statistics, you might want to learn how to count. seems your missing the hundreds of "help me AMD" posts on this forum alone. You will be hard pressed to find a "help me Intel posts" reguard hardware problem. there are many Intel based questions reguarding hardware selection. In the US, Intel has strong lead in sales.

Simple logic, what market share does Intel have in the US? that equates to more Intel sales than AMD. yet there are at least 50:1 problems for AMD than Intel on any forum. Your logic is useless Lemming trolling.
  33. What do you say to this ?
    <A HREF="http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-8157066.html" target="_new">Mobile P4 too hot to handle ?</A>

P4 mobile laptops are going to need an extra fan to keep cool..why is that Fugger ? a Athlon seems to work fine without the need for an extra fan.

Not even intel are perfect.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
    I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>
  34. Fugger, just admit Intel has plenty of problems, I mean the sucky performance seems to be their biggest problem... BTW, good thing they don't have you in PR, they would lose so many customers it would cut SGI's stock price by half over night.

Aklein

Just me and my computer livin' on the dark side of the moon.
  35. RotFL!!! Read closer!

Quote:
    a first generation guillemot geforce ddr <b>which he fried.</b>

The only reason he got stuck with that GF2MX is because the P4 system <b>toasted his old card!</b> Wait...that's not supposed to happen, is it? :tongue:

Quote:
    His system was working and died due to a still unkown failure.

Re-read that one again! It's a brand-spanking new system, and he couldn't even get WinXP installed, because it was <i>never</i> working right. Even the Intel fans agree it's a power issue; the symptoms are classic and you know it. It took me all of ten seconds to dig it up, because it's pretty recent. :lol:

Though I suppose you could explain it some other way...because if you can't, and it's not power, then it suggests the P4 platform with top-of-the-line, premium parts has a tendency to die for <b>no apparent reason.</b>

You know what--since you're so sure the datasheets are wrong, why not prove it? Because right now, they're the most solid evidence we have to go on. If you managed to prove AMD was lying, you could sue for false advertisement--and I <i>know</i> you wouldn't pass up that opportunity.

I'm still calling your bluff, blue man wannabe, and it still looks a hell of a lot like a bluff. :tongue:

Kelledin
  36. >AMD has approched us to integrate Athlons, but due to the
    >poor stability, thermal problems, and compatability we
    >avoid AMD like the plague.

The day SGI sells their first AMD system, is the day you'd better disappear from this forum. It cant happen too soon.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
  37. Quote:
    Once again re-read that thread. His system was working and died due to a still unkown failure. Im sure it took you a long time to dig up that P4T-E post. yet I can click on any page in this forum and find numerous help me AMD posts. let alone you had to get it from a differnt forum. lastly It had nothing to do with PSU, just you posting that your AMD systems suck with anything less than a 300watt PSU. Wraaa! I win

FUGGER is right on with this one. What he failed to notice is that the person that brought up power issues was our own Kelledin. Nice try, but no go.

But by the way, FUGGER. I ran a 1.2Tbird system with DVD-ROM, CD-RW, 3 hard drives, etc for months with no power problems. 300w generic PSU that came with my case. I recently replaced it with an Enermax since I don't trust generic PSUs to operate without bursting into flames or something, but it worked ok.

But you're wrong about the "countless" posts on this board. Most people building a system are getting AMD. You've said yourself that most Intel machines are OEMs, with lots going to businesses. How many posts have you seen from businesses or OEM owners? Hardly any, if any at all. They wouldn't come here, they'd complain to the IT department or the tech support. People having problems with their home-built systems however, come here.

Our (brand-new) 4-way Xeon Citrix server has gone down twice yesterday and twice today. Does that mean that Intel sucks? Not at all. Our 6-way Xeon Exchange server is rock solid, for the most part. Do we go on message boards and complain about instability? Of course not, we'd call Dell and complain about their crappy servers.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
  38. Come on everybody, what the hell is wrong with you? Lord Fugger has spoken. Anything you do to disprove his smokey highness must be braking the laws of physics.

Come on... Me running my Athlon 650 on a 250w power supply with an original power-hungry GeForce256 DDR (18watts), with all 5 pci slots full, 2 7200rpm 30gb IBM harddrives, a cd-writer, a dvd-drive and four fans, not to mention the oodles of USB hardware... ...I must be mad and braking all the laws of physics. I'm off to my local police station to hand my self in. To answer any curiousity your royal intel insideness, I am having grave problems of not being able to use suspend to ram. Oh the horror!

ps. could you get me tickets to the popes next stand up gig.

39. Fugger, what do you do exactly at SGI? You probably shouldn't be too specific so that they fire you for your antics on here, but roughly....

You speak as if you are their CFO and have access to all their sales figures so I'm curious.

Never mind, found it:

Quote:
    I am a "Advanced Systems Integrator" for Silicon Graphics Inc. aka SGI. I've been here for 6 years now. I specialize in cross platform integration. I speak most network OS's and certified by dozens of hardware manufacturers.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 12/19/01 10:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  40. HG ROFL.

Fugger you're a bit crazy. There are no shades of gray when it comes to you. You are so intent on proving that AMD is crap that you are missing out on its advantages. You are one of those stupid consumers that has to buy "intel" because of the blue man group or because you've heard "rumors" about AMD. Get over it already.

The reason there are more problems on here is because the VAST majority of people building their own PC are using AMD processors. People are NOT building Intel systems due to:
    1) price
    2) performance (not that it's bad, but for the price? It's getting better at least)
    3) Northwood is on the way (how many delays?)
    4) they keep changing the socket where as AMD doesn't
    5) people overwhelmingly recommend AMD on every forum.
    It's so simple. Doesn't take an advanced degree to see the correlation between the number of people on this forum (and others) with AMD processors and the number of questions recarding AMD processors. I would think that Intel's OEM sales figures make up for the small segment of hardware fans that build AMD systems, so mellow out already.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
  41. Correct me if i'm wrong but i saw only one computer system on your companies sit that uses the itanic processor, the SG 750 all othe servers and workstations use Mips or Irix processors. and if i read the finicial statments right your company only earned 1.9 billion this year, for comparson Intel made 6.7 billion in the first quarter of 2001.

How long will it take for bill to make a stable and secure os?
    15 years and counting!
  42. Well give the Itatium 3 more years. Soon intel is putting the 400 or 533 quad bus on it. More bandwith that EPIC needs to work. Also the Itatium is a 3 year old chip here. The itatium 2 will be much better.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
  43. Hey.. They have a picture of Fugger on the SGI website

<A HREF="http://www.sgi.com/solutions/broadband/success/images/lotr/lg_skin_seq.jpg" target="_new"> Pretty Boy Fugger </A>

Such a true likeness!

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:
  44. so one more board change for intel? well intel users are used to it!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
  45. phelk LOL LOL LOL.

46. Are you still sobbing about Intel and x86-64?

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
    dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
    </i></font color=red>
  47. Intel has NOT adjusted there road map to reflect what you and the inquirer are stateing. Further more Microsoft Corp. has stated nothing in the area of support for x86-64.

Further information:
    <A HREF="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win64/32compat_76gj.asp" target="_new">Why No Support?</A> please read.

-Spuddy

:lol: Go Ahead Peel Me. I Dare Ya" :lol:
  48. Minus the issue that former Intel engineers are now talking about the Yawhill project, which is/was an attempt by Intel to incorporate the silicon needed to support x86-64 software. Since this story broke a few days back, many, many sites have picked up on it. Since it was reported in a daily newspaper, and not an online source like the Registar, I'd say it's pretty safe to conclude that they have a source and not a ploy to increase linking to their site (since thier revenue is from actual paper sales, not eyeballs) Here is the <A HREF="http://www.siliconstrategies.com/story/OEG20020125S0070" target="_new">link</A> to a version of the story on the Silicon Strategies page. The idea is that Prescott will have the silicon on the die for x86-64 instructions, in case the Hammer destroys the Prescott in performance on the desktop and small server market. It will be activated if Intel feels pressured by AMD and software makers to have x86-64 support, or the Itanium becomes the Itanic (which would be too bad, since in 64-bit apps, it is quite a beast). The only issue sited is that since x86-64 is <i>not</i> open source, Intel would be forced to acquire a license from AMD to legally use it. That would be quite a kick in Intel's face, and might be a damaging blow to their PR dept. All in all, though, it's for the best if this is true, since many small SMP systems would benefit from 64-bit software, but lack the hardware and monetary support for it. It's a good way to transition the server market into complete 64-bit, and after a year or two, the desktop market as well.

So, in the end, I say this: AMD's plan to introduce a stepping stone for small IT depts. and businesses that would benefit from 64-bit apps is much better than Intel's all or nothing scheme. Intel seemed to forget one basic thing about the human species: that while change is needed to advance anything, big change scares us, throws us off, and ultimately makes us all the more protective of what we are comfortable with. They could really use some people trained in human psych. in the Intel PR, marketing, and R&D areas.

As for MS support, it isn't needed, since many servers and multi-processor systems can be run with Linux and other software. I'm sure many OS developers out there are more than willing to build for the x86-64 instruction set, and if Intel does hop on board, MS will be forced to find a way to support it.

-SammyBoy
  49. FUGGER , about the power consumption of P4's VS Palminos, a new athlon 4 mobile 1500+(1.3GHZ) has been released and it can be currently found on Compaq Presario 700 series.

Cant find a P4 mobile chip , can you ? (actually there is but there are troubles with its power consumtion - see CNET link above)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs x86 Font Intel