Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Connect a hdd with a complete OS (win 7) installed in it and then dual boot it w

Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2013 7:52:19 PM

Hello,
My existing PC has Win XP. I have a hdd which has a windows 7 install already from where it was previously connected. Can I now dual boot windows 7 and Windows XP?
the new hdd is detected but the os is not detected in the boot loader.
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 9:11:38 PM

Download EasyBCD and install it on Windows7 to edit the bootloader with. It's easy to use so you shouldn't have trouble figuring it out.. but I'll see if I can find a tutorial and post it here to simplify the edition even more.

The easest setup is Windows 7 on the first Hard Drive and Windows XP on the second. This because EasyBCD doesn't work installed on Windws XP and setting the Windows XP hard drive as No 1 will probaly boot into it, so you'll need to boot into Win 7 to add Windws XP to the bootloader.

Donload EasyBCD
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Using EasyBCD to add Windows XP to the Windows 7 Bootloader
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Windows+XP
m
l
February 13, 2013 10:26:19 PM

You will probably run into oter issues. If that HD w/ Win 7 came from a different computer, it may not run properly due to different drivers between the systems. IF the systems are relatively 'close' in configuration, then Win 7 may 'fix' itself w/ the correct drivers.
Also, If you took this HD from an OEM system, HP, dell, etc, it is tied to the mother board on those systems & can not legally be used on another system, nor will ir probably activate properly on a new (different) system being an OEM OS.

Jim
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 11:41:40 PM

jimpz is right. I missed that part.. I misread and thought the hard drive was on the same computer previously. The only solution is to repair/upgrade install windows 7 with a DVD of the same edition, or do a clean installation with a different edition.
m
l
February 14, 2013 1:12:59 PM

Hi,
thanks for the replies.
The new HD is detected and I can see all the filles in it through Win XP. The problem is it can't boot the Win 7 in it. Both are SATA drives and the new hdd was detected in BIOS but it was not detected as a bootable drive ( win xp and recovery are my only options in boot). I tried to do a repair using the same Win 7 DVD which even detected the set up but it did not do much as it said the version of system configuration is not compatible.
I just think I need to somehow add the boot information to the drive.
I can do a clean install by formatting the drive but I want to avoid it as I may be moving this drive between my 2 computers often and would like to figure out an easier way to auto detect the Win 7 everytime I plug in the drive or atleast with min efforts.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2013 4:17:03 PM

The problem is that you have to initiate the installation from the installed system so it has to first be able to boot which is out ot the question... so, the only option I can think of is to initiate the repair-installation (called Upgrade installation in Win 7) from Windows XP... then select the right drive in the Windows 7 installation... if initiating the installation is not possible from WinXP, you could create a new partition and on it do a clean installation from which to initiate the Win 7 repair, and later format the clean installed Windows 7 when it's not needed. I'd suggest you do this with only the second hard drive in the computer, so the new installation doesn't delete the Windows XP boot sector.
Once you have Win 7 booting on the computer, you can add the Win XP hard drive, configure the BIOS disable the Win XP HD so the computer boots into Windows 7, or use the key the BIOS uses to boot on the drive you select, then in windows 7 use EasyBCD to include Windows XP on the Win7 bootloader, restart the computer (enable the Win XP hard drives if you've disabled it), and you should see both OSs in the the boot selection screen.

"Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware” installation error on a Windows 7-based or a Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753/en

Windows 7 installation guide
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-install.ht...
February 17, 2013 4:29:35 PM

Best answer selected by lx_px.
m
l
February 19, 2013 5:47:22 AM

Chicano said:
Download EasyBCD and install it on Windows7 to edit the bootloader with. It's easy to use so you shouldn't have trouble figuring it out.. but I'll see if I can find a tutorial and post it here to simplify the edition even more.

The easest setup is Windows 7 on the first Hard Drive and Windows XP on the second. This because EasyBCD doesn't work installed on Windws XP and setting the Windows XP hard drive as No 1 will probaly boot into it, so you'll need to boot into Win 7 to add Windws XP to the bootloader.

Donload EasyBCD
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Using EasyBCD to add Windows XP to the Windows 7 Bootloader
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Windows+XP

If you are not working for Neosmart you have to know that:

1. EasyBCD is violating Microsoft Copyright by disguising ntldr as easyldr.
Clear copyright violation - Neosmart steals foreign work and pretends it is its own.

2. EasyBCD is violating grub4dos copyright - no reference in license file, no compliance to GPL

Neosmart are just crooks stealing foreign work.
I am really wondering why the community is tolerating such people.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 19, 2013 9:44:13 PM

boyans said:
If you are not working for Neosmart you have to know that:

1. EasyBCD is violating Microsoft Copyright by disguising ntldr as easyldr.
Clear copyright violation - Neosmart steals foreign work and pretends it is its own.

2. EasyBCD is violating grub4dos copyright - no reference in license file, no compliance to GPL

Neosmart are just crooks stealing foreign work.
I am really wondering why the community is tolerating such people.

If you're some kind of expert, you should know that:

NTLDR:
1. the ntldr bootloader is not used in Window Vista, 7 or 8
2. that EasyBCD does not work in Windows XP which is the last OS to use the ntldr bootloader.
3. Ntldr is useless in Windows Vista, 7 or 8, and EasyBCD "Edits" bcdedit Windows Vista, 7 or 8 bootloader.

GRUB:
Linux, Mac OS, Solaris and Windows, as many other applications use GRUB as well... So if you're going to talk piracy, get your thoughts in order and if you still think you're right... go argue and accuse the biggest corporations and leave the little guy alone.

EasyBCD can be used without paying a cent.. and if what your babbling about is remotely true (which I seriously doubt based on the information available out there), don't you think people should freely enjoy the bennefit of their "stolen" software?
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:50:12 AM

Chicano said:
If you're some kind of expert, you should know that:

NTLDR:
1. the ntldr bootloader is not used in Window Vista, 7 or 8
2. that EasyBCD does not work in Windows XP which is the last OS to use the ntldr bootloader.
3. Ntldr is useless in Windows Vista, 7 or 8, and EasyBCD "Edits" bcdedit Windows Vista, 7 or 8 bootloader.

GRUB:
Linux, Mac OS, Solaris and Windows, as many other applications use GRUB as well... So if you're going to talk piracy, get your thoughts in order and if you still think you're right... go argue and accuse the biggest corporations and leave the little guy alone.

EasyBCD can be used without paying a cent.. and if what your babbling about is remotely true (which I seriously doubt based on the information available out there), don't you think people should freely enjoy the bennefit of their "stolen" software?

1. NTLDR is used to boot older than Vista OS on Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.
EasyBCD is using version 5.2.3790.2825 of NTLDR but disguised as easyldr - easyldr is claimed to be a Neosmart product.
This is clear Microsoft Copyright violation !

2. There is a small difference between GRUB and GRUB4dos !
Grub4dos has its copyright - Neosmart/EasyBCD nowhere states that neogrub/autoneogrub (from Neosmart) is a variant of grub4dos. No GPL compliance - clear copyright violation.

For Neosmart guys there is no copyright but I think soon legal consequences will follow. Stealing foreign software products is a criminal act.

EasyBCD is also a sold product. So material consequences for Neosmart can be expected as well.

And don't judge others people knowledge so easy. I think you have still many things to learn.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2013 6:42:26 PM

EasyBCD may be a sold product but probably only for commercial use as many freeware application versions are, and the EasyBCD Comunity Edition is strictly freeware, the donate link is not there for a different reason... so the comment "EasyBCD is also a sold product" is not all true. This thread is about Windows 7 & 8, not previous Windows OSs, so about the NTLDR part of your arguments; EasyBCD doesn't work in Windows XP so it obviously doesn't use the Windows XP boot files, if it did, it should work in XP. And as far as I've seen, the XP boot files aren't modified by EasyBCD, since there is no reason to, the Win 7 bootloader boots XP not the other way around.

About GRUB4dos, if it's copyrighted software it should be adequately protected, not exhibited and available to the whole world.
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/grub4dos/trunk/

GRUB 4 DOS License: OpenSource under LGPL
http://grub-for-dos.findmysoft.com/

Besides nothing is mentioned about booting Windows 7 with GRUB4DOS
https://sites.google.com/site/grubdos/

As I said before, Grub and Grub4dos are used in many applications, including Windows, MAC, Linux and probably other OSs, so why would the developers of Grub want to sue the little fish when they can go for the largest of them. You say; "you think soon legal consequences will follow".. if you were that certain why use "I think"... and I'm not giving a plug for the application, I could recommend other software that does the same your's for example... I have considered suggesting your application but it's to technical... EasyBCD is the most easy to use, and people come here mostly looking for easy solutions or at least something they can readily understand.

As you can see, I am fair in sharing my modest knowledge (simplifying it), and I am particularly fair in judging people's character.. so, I was not judging your knowledge in any way, but judging your true reasons.. that by now are clearly apparent.
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:43:42 PM

Chicano said:
EasyBCD may be a sold product but probably only for commercial use as many freeware application versions are, and the EasyBCD Comunity Edition is strictly freeware, the donate link is not there for a different reason... so the comment "EasyBCD is also a sold product" is not all true. This thread is about Windows 7 & 8, not previous Windows OSs, so about the NTLDR part of your arguments; EasyBCD doesn't work in Windows XP so it obviously doesn't use the Windows XP boot files, if it did, it should work in XP. And as far as I've seen, the XP boot files aren't modified by EasyBCD, since there is no reason to, the Win 7 bootloader boots XP not the other way around.

About GRUB4dos, if it's copyrighted software it should be adequately protected, not exhibited and available to the whole world.
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/grub4dos/trunk/

GRUB 4 DOS License: OpenSource under LGPL
http://grub-for-dos.findmysoft.com/

Besides nothing is mentioned about booting Windows 7 with GRUB4DOS
https://sites.google.com/site/grubdos/

As I said before, Grub and Grub4dos are used in many applications, including Windows, MAC, Linux and probably other OSs, so why would the developers of Grub want to sue the little fish when they can go for the largest of them. You say; "you think soon legal consequences will follow".. if you were that certain why use "I think"... and I'm not giving a plug for the application, I could recommend other software that does the same your's for example... I have considered suggesting your application but it's to technical... EasyBCD is the most easy to use, and people come here mostly looking for easy solutions or at least something they can readily understand.

As you can see, I am fair in sharing my modest knowledge (simplifying it), and I am particularly fair in judging people's character.. so, I was not judging your knowledge in any way, but judging your true reasons.. that by now are clearly apparent.

1. Thread is about dual-booting Win 7 + XP
2. I have not written copyright law.
3. Violating copyright law is a criminal act.
4. I have not put easyldr (=ntldr - Microsoft Copyright) in EasyBCD distribution.
5. You need ntldr/easyldr to boot XP.
6. You have to learn many, many things.

easyldr is stolen software.
Stealing is a criminal act.
Do you understand this ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2013 11:52:00 PM

boyans said:
1. Thread is about dual-booting Win 7 + XP
2. I have not written copyright law.
3. Violating copyright law is a criminal act.
4. I have not put easyldr (=ntldr - Microsoft Copyright) in EasyBCD distribution.
5. You need ntldr/easyldr to boot XP.
6. You have to learn many, many things.

easyldr is stolen software.
Stealing is a criminal act.
Do you understand this ?

This thread may be about booting Windows XP with Windows 7... but that's not the real problem the problem is your frustration for being a failure at developing an application nobody wants.. be a man and face the facts.. that is your real problem. I did not make EasyBCD and I don't distribute it... so go and expose your claims where they belong. There are hundreds of websites that have EasyBCD for download so go there with your silly arguments.

I may have alot to learn, like for example coding though it's not that difficult to see that ntldr and easyldr are written in the same language but are not the same file... so let's face it!.. your real problem is frustration for not convicing enough people to use your application... so you release your frustration anywhere you think is the appropriate place... but it's not here... don't beat around the bush and go directly to NeoSmart Technologies and state your claims there, just don't hold back in telling them you are the developer of Visual BCD Editor.

It's easy to see EasyBCD includes the following legend:
Quote:
EasyBCD is the ultimate bootloader & bootloader management tool. There is no guarantee that EasyBCD will work with all versions of Windows - always make sure you're using the latest version available.
• Lead developer: Mahmoud H. Al-Qudsi
• Active Ingredients: Sweat, blood, and tears