Sign in with
Your question

I burned up my XP 1900!

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2001 5:18:59 AM

Hello everybody, please bear with me...

I researched my latest upgrades on Tom's, and ended up purchasing a Soyo Dragon + mb, an Athlon XP 1900 CPU, and 512 Mb of memory. I also bought the Silverado CPU cooler.

So when i finally put everything together, it was a no-go-- mb was just beeping at me (beep. beeeeeeeeeeeep. [power off]). So i try to reseat the CPU after first exploring other options. I had to take off the Silverado, of course. As a side note, that thing was hard to put on (and take off). After reseating, no more beeps, but the CPU started to burn.

So i'm trying to figure out, what was going on in the first place? Is it likely that the chip wasn't seated? That seems rather unlikely to me. However, it also seems unlikely that the mb was at fault. And finally, i'm wondering how likely it is that the pressure i had to apply to get the Silverado on the CPU might have screwed things up. Obviously, i don't want this to happen again.

Anyway, i'm looking for recommendations. Should i try to replace the mb and processor, or just the processor. Sucker looks pretty burned up as it is.

Thanks, cheers.

More about : burned 1900

December 17, 2001 5:38:12 AM

I don't notice you mentioning any thermal paste anywhere. Did you forget to apply it? Consider using Arctic Silver II next time.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2001 5:58:49 AM

Yeah, i used thermal paste. I used "very small amount", "like a drop of water". There seems to have been a problem before the CPU burned up (that would explain the beeps). The manual doesn't appear to have information on the specific beep code.

Btw, since i can see visible burning on the chip, can i be pretty sure it's toast?

Thanks.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gemini_II on 12/17/01 03:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
December 17, 2001 6:30:16 AM

First off, the silverado is not good over 1.2ghz, get a different cooler.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2001 8:11:26 AM

I would return your MB to whoever you got it from and insist they run a test on it, if it does turn out to be faulty then you may be able to get them to replace the CPU as well, also I would have them look at the CPU.
If I remeber correctly the long beeps usually mean Memory fault but that is for My MB's.

Good Luck

M

if at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you ever tried...
December 17, 2001 8:13:20 AM

I can specualte on what happeend and i can almost GAURANTEE i know what happened.......

The first time you powered it up and u heard LONG beeps right ???

That indicates to 2 things.........and i can GAURANTEE that was the problem...

1) Your ram DIMM"s were not LOCKED/SEATED in ALL the way, they have to CLICK in....
2) Your Video card was not FULLY Pushed into the AGP/PCI slot (i don't know what kind of card you use) and a lot of people make that mistake with there AGP Card.....it might look like it is fully pressed in, BUT, its not untill you feel AND Hear it click in.....

THAT is why it was beeping, and if the CPU was not "seated" properly, you wouldn't hear anything...let alone it is INPOSSIBLE to put a CPU in wrong....not without ripping off quite a few pins anyways........that means the first time, everything was there, BUT you didnt SEAT either the RAM and/or Video Card properly.......

Now after you took off the Silverado HSF......and put it back, i bet you put a little to much force onto one side of the chip OR pushed down to hard which caused the CPU to crack/push down into the packaging which doesnt give proper contact to the HSF.....OR you put the HSF on backwards which made it not have proper/FLUSH contact on the surface of the HSF & CPU Die.......

Anyways....best thing to do would be get a new CPU and make sure EVERYTHING ELSE is seated properly, than maybe get someone else to put the HSF on for you ? or like Matisaro said, the Silverado isn't rated for any Socket A chip over 1.2GHz........get something better, like the Swiftech MCX-462 OR Thermalright SK6.......hell don't even bother, spend the $5-10 extra and buy a REATIL Athlon XP and use the cooler that comes with it, just put some Arctic Silver II on there and rub off the Thermal Pad that comes with it.....ok ??

Good luck....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
December 17, 2001 12:17:56 PM

did you lift up the bar on the cpu socket before dropping the cpu in? And then push the bar back down after?

-- If I had a hammer........
December 17, 2001 12:51:34 PM

I managed to burn up two XP 1800+ chips before I discovered that the metal clip on my SK6 was on the wrong way around (yeah, dumb I know, but it didn't come with any instructions and I just didn't realise that it was on the wrong way!).
May or may not be your problem, but worth checking anyway I expect.

Thorin
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2001 3:18:12 PM

I had the same problem with my 1.0 GHz cpu when I first got it. My problem was that the fan I was using wasn't cooling the cpu enough like it was supposed to. I was hearing the same beeps as you are. I suggest buying a new fan. I doubt your problem has anything to do with thermal paste. Thermal paste can drop your cpu temp slightly but not enough to prevent it from burning up. So go buy a new cpu and fan and if you didn't fry your motherboard you should be set.
December 17, 2001 3:19:32 PM

yeah, Its kinda scary cuz i have an athlonXP 1800+ it came boxed from AMD, and had directions on how to install the heatsink.. but mr. know it all me installed the CPU anyway, it really scared me when i posted and it was at 80 C! so i turn it off and it turns out the heatsink was backwards but looked almost exactly like it was on. you need to read the directions! very important.

Good thing it still works *wipes sweat off forehead*
They only have like 50 pieces of paper saying MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR HEATSINK ON PROPERLY!! LoL i guess im a class A idiot.

--DarkPhire(United Devices team : AMDZONE.com; Member name : The Collective)
December 17, 2001 3:24:11 PM

Matisaro,
the Silverado is indeed a very good cooler and heatsink!

I have one myself coupled with the XP1800+. My temperature are around 46-47 in idle and around 52 under heavy load. I also use the supplied voltage cables so its not running at full power.
For experiment, I removed the power to the fans to see when the temp was increasing in the bios monitoring tool. It took several minutes before the real effect of it was noticed, so the heatsink is very good at absorbing the heat.
December 17, 2001 3:30:20 PM

My heat sink was on the right way around (although the first time I set things going the fan was upside down, duh!), it was just the clip that attaches the heat sink to the socket, it was the wrong way around causing the heat sink to sit wonky and only make partial contact. I didn't get any instructions with my heat sink though. I would have gone with the stock HSF, but it's the first time I've built a system from scratch and didn't realise there was such a thing :/ . Ah well, live and learn :) .
Unfortunately it took me two 1800+ chips to work out that was what the problem was. The problem with troubleshooting something like that is you only get one go per chip if you haven't found the problem "hmmm, let's change this and see if it works....... [click.... *pop*.... smoke etc].... oh... not that then, still something wrong".
Anyways, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I've really found the root of the problem!

Thorin
December 18, 2001 9:53:22 PM

And all of you guys thought Tom's Video was Fake. Hey, I am a AMD supporter too. But this kind of sucks when they lack the Thermal protection and you end up with a 150+ doller Paper weight. Anyways, how is this price/preformance working for you. Since you will end up buying two processors and may have to replace some other stuff on your computer.

AMD may be a leader in Preformance but they really really need to improve on their thermal protection.

KG
December 18, 2001 11:33:29 PM

The thermal protection on the Palomino core is fine, if it is taken advantage of. Its the motherboard manufacturers that need to follow AMD's specs for it instead of relying on their own, unreliable thermal protection solutions. Is it "as good" as Intel's P4 thermal protection? No. Can it mean the difference between a smoked core and a non-smoked one? Yes.
December 19, 2001 12:36:22 AM

hate to break it too you but the AXP has a half-a$$ thermal protection solution, that AMDfanbase is too afraid to tell you about.

they'll point to a video of a AXP not self immolating and may say "you see thg was wrong!" LOL!

they don't tell you.

I will: the Athlon XP (virtual PR +/-300MHz) is a POS cpu with half thermal protection, it is useless without a new mobo or even a more expensive one.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
December 19, 2001 4:18:23 AM

AmdMELTDOWN, this point has been beaten into the ground in every post you've decided to stick your nose into, but I'll bring it up YET AGAIN. The motherboard THG used in their test did not take advantage of the Palomino's thermal diode. It used its own thermal protection, which was inefficiant, hence the smoked CPU. This has been proven time and time again, yet you refuse to acknowledge it. Then you go on about how the AXP is a "POS cpu", and that its "useless without a new mobo or even a more expensive one", which is funny, since my XP 1700+ beats the holy hell out of everyone's computer at my place of work, including a co-worker's built P4 1.8GHz running on the very fine Abit TH7-II board that cost $163, plus 512MB of RDRAM that cost almost $200, as opposed to my KT266 board that cost around $130 and 512 of DDR that cost about $70. And BTW, my system is rock solid and stable at 47C with a case temp of 23C. Now, my motherboard doesn't have the AMD spec thermal protection, either, but since I don't plan on removing the HSF assembly while playing Q3, I don't worry about it.
December 19, 2001 10:20:33 AM

The mainboard that THG used in their test did take advantage of the MP's internal thermal diode. The CPU fried because the hardware thermal controller designed by the mainboard manufacturer was a slow POS. Then AMD bltched about the design created by the mainboard manufacturer and provided them with a workable thermal controler solution. About half of the mainboards out there can only take advantage of the MP/XP's internal thermal diode. If AMD was going to force their thermal controller design onto the mainboard manufacturers, they should've dumped the Socket solution and gone back to the Slot solution. Then they could have installed the external hardware thermal controller on the Slot card just as the L2 cache was back then.

__
<font color=blue>My hammer has a bigger Hammer than your hammer.</font color=blue>
December 19, 2001 11:03:58 AM

If you dont use thermal past you most likely will burn up, or run extrememly hot, thermal paste is a MUST.

December 19, 2001 11:06:10 AM

Snorkilis, the silverado was a good heatsink up untill 1.2ghz tbirds, now it is outclassed, it is no better than a stock heatsink at your speeds I would imagine, and the stock hsf is just as quiet(silverados main selling point). It will probably keep a cpu running, but it will be running rather hot at your speeds. The silverados performance does not meet the enhanced cost it requires for the heatsink.

December 19, 2001 11:07:48 AM

Toms video was not fake, it was conducted by a moron, the motherboard they were using did NOT have amd specced thermal control logic, which is why it burnt.

If you take your heatsink off during quake 3, then as a moron, you deserve to fry your chip.

December 19, 2001 11:10:41 AM

That is partally true nagaverse, however, the thermal control circurty specification has not changed, it is not amds fault fujitsu did not follow its guidelines, it is somewhat akin to a mobo manufactuere running 2 volts instead of 1.75 to a cpu for stability, however if a cpu fries due to this is it amds fault?

Fact is amds thermal diode works when properly implemented, amds thermal solution is fine when done right.

December 19, 2001 11:36:08 AM

I stand corrected. Yes your right, the Siemens' D1289 mainboard still uses a thermal controller design which does not follow AMD's thermal specifications. Their future mainboard line may however begin to follow AMD's thermal controller design soon. I wonder how many MP/XP mainboards do and do not follow AMD's thermal controller specifications. If the CPU fried because the thermal controller failed, the fault would be the company that implemented the hardware thermal controller.

__
<font color=blue>My hammer has a bigger Hammer than your hammer.</font color=blue>
December 19, 2001 11:57:38 AM

Yeah, there was a big debate over it when thg video was released, tom made it seem like fujitsu was using proper thermal speccsw, it turns out they werent, invalidating the video as a measure of the ATHLONXP'S thermal performance, but it does show fujitsus mobo thermal performance heh.

December 20, 2001 7:18:32 PM

I cant argue against you regarding the sound the fans make because I have no experience of stock heatsinks and fans, but if they are as quiet as the silverado, thats very good and would probebly be the best deal you can get. I doubt thats the case though.
You think 52 celsius under heavy load (46-47c idle) is much for an xp1800+ and not using the full fanpower of the Silverado? Its worth every penny in my eyes (read ears.. *s*)..
December 21, 2001 4:37:40 AM

I guess you dont have any balls do you. Chicken
December 21, 2001 5:21:47 AM

it shows that we shouldn't trust any themal protection claims from AMD

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2001 9:26:32 AM

Ignorant statements from Intel_Inside. As usual.

If GM says

"Put oil into the engine"

and you screw up your engine because you ran it with no oil, would that be the fault of GM?

AMD says how to protect the CPU from frying and MOTHERBOARD SUPPLIERS DO NOT FOLLOW THE SPECS! How can it be AMD's fault?

Besides, how old are you anyway, 14? How can you be such STUPID?

People should stop posting to your replies. Including myself...

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>
December 22, 2001 1:47:27 AM

Quote:
it shows that we shouldn't trust any themal protection claims from AMD

ahh you see oh ignorant one, amd only claims the axps have a thermal diode, the motherboard makers are the ones who make thermal protection claims.

December 22, 2001 2:31:30 AM

how am I stupid?

Intel says their chips have thermal protection, THEY DO. How many posts do you see on these boards or anywhere about people frying their p4 chips. Amd says their chip has thermal protection, WHERE IS IT THEN? How come we see so many 'I fried my amd chip' posts.

According to lemming logic, they are lies or stupid users. I guesse there are more stupid and dishonest people who choose amd...

<i>AMD's thermal protection: as seen in tom's burning chip video</i>
December 22, 2001 2:58:57 AM

Quote:
According to lemming logic, they are lies or stupid users.

Maybe that's because <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">some of them</A> <i>are</i> BS, concocted by some pretty <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">stupid users</A>.

There are cases where reasonably adept users make honest mistakes, or are victims of faulty/insufficient heatsinks. Thanks to pre-pubescent little shitheels like you, we always have to wonder if every new problem report is fake or not. And you <i>still</i> have the temerity to call the rest of us trolls...so yes, you are very stupid.

Have a nice life. :tongue:

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
December 22, 2001 7:48:15 AM

Read my post, then sit back, read amds website to try invain to prove me wrong, realize your attempts are futile, and finally shut the hell up about this matter.

AMD's axp thermal diode is only advertised to do one thing, measure temps, it can be used in conjunction with AMD SPECCED thermal monitoring logic on motherboards to perform adequate thermal protective duties...but since its up to the MOBO MAKERS, to offer this or not, amd is not making any claims.

As kelledin said, have a nice life troll.

December 22, 2001 11:48:55 AM

Your an AMD Myth Debunker ?????

WTF ?

Do you have anything better to do than just constantly bash AMD for "catching your room on fire"

Why didnt it burn down the rest of the hosue ????

Idiot.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2002 4:02:36 PM

Argh. I see rumors over and over, noone seems to get it completely right. Hopefully I do :) 

So:

- AMD AthlonXP only has Temperature MEASURING
- Shutdown has to be implemented in the Mainboard
- If you use the AMD logic for shutdown, you cannot measure CPU temperature
- P4 has 2 Diodes - one for shutdown and one for measuring
- The FSC D1289 Mainboard has a logic that measures the diode and regulates fan speeds according to this temperature
- Additionally it "underclocks" the CPU if it's too hot just like P4 does
- The AMD CPU stays too hot even when "underclocked"
- That's why it burned
- Neither AMD nor FSC claimed that the board would shut down
- Tom's Hardware was incorrectly implying that because the diode was supported there would be a thermal protection circuit for shutdown. There was none and there is none, and it was not claimed there is one.
- Last but not least: There are only TWO Boards out now supporting the Diode for measuring temperature: D1289 and a Tyan DUAL board. A7V266-E claims to support it, but does not work. A7V266-E/AA will support it. Thus there is NO Mainboard out there yet with the shutdown logic proposed by AMD. Most probably the HAMMER will include thermal protection by itself.

Andreas

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com
!