Problem with EP-8KHA+ & XP 1600+

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
I recently upgraded my SDRAM platform to a DDR one using the Epox EP-8KHA+ as reading the reviews on this board seemed to point toward it being on of the best for performance as well as stability. For the first two weeks I kept my old Athlon 2.1 ghz CPU and had not an ounce of problems with this combination. However I then decided to upgrade to an XP 1600+ I immediately started having probs with the system locking up during post usually before, but sometimes after detecting the IDE devices. Yet after several resets the system would finally post normally and go into windows without any problems what so ever. Windows would run completely stable and all games would run without a single lockup. Interestingly enough if I rebooted after running the system for several minutes the problem would disappear the system having needed to “warm-up” as it were. Yet if turned off for more than 20 minutes the problem immediately returned. Even after upgrading to the latest bios version from Epox there was no change. Fearing that I had a faulty motherboard I immediately returned it and swapped for an identical one only to find exactly the same problem! I then upgraded my power supply from a 300w to 350w thinking that the XP may have required more juice only to find it made no difference. I finally solved the problem by disabling the on-screen CPU health status check at start-up and haven’t had a problem since. Could anyone tell me if they have experienced similar problems with this motherboard & CPU combination, as I believe it to be very popular at the moment? I am curious to see if this is an inherent problem with this combination or just my bad luck?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If you fixxed the issue by disabling that feature, then the feature obviously is at fault, perhaps it had a low temp shutdown(some do) and the xp would be too cold on startup?

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
I tried looking for a minimum temp control setting for the CPU health status in bios but there was none. It maybe a simple matter of waiting until Epox releases an updated bios that fixes the Problem. I think this must be an inherent problem with this motherboard CPU combination and is bios related. The default setting for showing the CPU health status at start-up is enabled so anyone setting this board up would experience the same problem.

G

I am running the Epox 8KHA+ with Athlon XP1800+ and 512meg of Ram. I built this system myself and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I have my PC Health Monitor enabled. Never a crash burp or hicup.

One thought is are you using the BIOS Virus Detection? Try disabling it, I never use this feature. I use an add on Windows Virus Scanner. It may be conflicting with the Health Monitor. Or you may also check your MOBO for the POST error code when you encounter this problem. I would also check your connections to the board for your FANS.

G

i have a 8kha and a xp 1600 and i have problems. i cant even get mine to boot at all. it gives me post code c1. another person got the same thing on their system and im waiting for a reply from them. please if someone could help me.