Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Help CMOS Checksum Error

Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2013 8:35:54 PM

I have a dell Inspiron desktop recently my keyboard n mouse stop working and the screen was distorted and I turn it off and on and when to normal then 10 minutes later it happen again. I turn it off again and once I turn it back on the fans started to go off really fast and started beeping 5 short beeps and saying CMOS checksum error and keyboard failure I been trying to make it work Idk what else to do what you guys think it can be I already try resetting the CMOS battery and pluging a new keyboard nothing work. Let me know thanks

More about : cmos checksum error

a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 8:45:32 PM

How old is it? Look over the motherboard carefully for bulging or leaking capacitors. Google "bad capacitors" for some images of what they can look like.
Score
February 13, 2013 9:16:58 PM

Onus said:
How old is it? Look over the motherboard carefully for bulging or leaking capacitors. Google "bad capacitors" for some images of what they can look like.

It's only 2 years old and no bad capacitors
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 9:26:58 PM

Did you actually replace or simply remove/reinstall the existing CMOS battery? A CMOS checksum error is indicative of a weak or dead CMOS battery.
Score
February 13, 2013 9:31:26 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Did you actually replace or simply remove/reinstall the existing CMOS battery? A CMOS checksum error is indicative of a weak or dead CMOS battery.

I replace it with a new come it didn't work 2032 battery
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 9:48:38 PM

If we make the assumption that the replacement battery is good then the next course of action, according to the troubleshooting guide linked above, is to contact Dell. There may be a failure on the motherboard.
Score
February 13, 2013 9:50:03 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
If we make the assumption that the replacement battery is good then the next course of action, according to the troubleshooting guide linked above, is to contact Dell. There may be a failure on the motherboard.

Even if I don't put a battery it still beeps so I do believe its motherboard failure it's it possible to fix it?
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 9:55:44 PM

Yes, replace the motherboard. That's why you contact Dell.
February 13, 2013 10:04:45 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Yes, replace the motherboard. That's why you contact Dell.

Alright we'll thank you and thanks everyone for your help .
Score
February 13, 2013 10:04:58 PM

Best answer selected by Ineedhelpasap.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 10:17:48 PM

sometime you can fix a damaged bios by re flashing it. most time cmos checksum error is a bad cmos chip. on some mb you can pull the chip some of them there solider on.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2013 8:01:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Score
!