Closed Solved

Need Help CMOS Checksum Error

I have a dell Inspiron desktop recently my keyboard n mouse stop working and the screen was distorted and I turn it off and on and when to normal then 10 minutes later it happen again. I turn it off again and once I turn it back on the fans started to go off really fast and started beeping 5 short beeps and saying CMOS checksum error and keyboard failure I been trying to make it work Idk what else to do what you guys think it can be I already try resetting the CMOS battery and pluging a new keyboard nothing work. Let me know thanks
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need cmos checksum error
  1. How old is it? Look over the motherboard carefully for bulging or leaking capacitors. Google "bad capacitors" for some images of what they can look like.
  2. Onus said:
    How old is it? Look over the motherboard carefully for bulging or leaking capacitors. Google "bad capacitors" for some images of what they can look like.

It's only 2 years old and no bad capacitors
  3. Did you actually replace or simply remove/reinstall the existing CMOS battery? A CMOS checksum error is indicative of a weak or dead CMOS battery.
  4. ex_bubblehead said:
    Did you actually replace or simply remove/reinstall the existing CMOS battery? A CMOS checksum error is indicative of a weak or dead CMOS battery.

I replace it with a new come it didn't work 2032 battery
  5. Straight from Dell's documentation. 5 beeps = replace CMOS battery. Where did you get the 'new' one?

https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm
  6. ex_bubblehead said:
    Straight from Dell's documentation. 5 beeps = replace CMOS battery. Where did you get the 'new' one?

https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm

From staples
  7. If we make the assumption that the replacement battery is good then the next course of action, according to the troubleshooting guide linked above, is to contact Dell. There may be a failure on the motherboard.
  8. ex_bubblehead said:
    If we make the assumption that the replacement battery is good then the next course of action, according to the troubleshooting guide linked above, is to contact Dell. There may be a failure on the motherboard.

Even if I don't put a battery it still beeps so I do believe its motherboard failure it's it possible to fix it?
  9. Best answer
    Yes, replace the motherboard. That's why you contact Dell.
  10. ex_bubblehead said:
    Yes, replace the motherboard. That's why you contact Dell.

Alright we'll thank you and thanks everyone for your help .
  11. Best answer selected by Ineedhelpasap.
  12. sometime you can fix a damaged bios by re flashing it. most time cmos checksum error is a bad cmos chip. on some mb you can pull the chip some of them there solider on.
  13. This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Ask a new question

Read More

CMOS Keyboards Windows 7