Need review: ASUS P2B + ASUS S370-133 + P3

G

Hi guys. Crashman thanks for the previous help it certainly guided me. I thought I'd share what I'd found to get some feedback.

I learned that I could place a P3 proc in my P2B mobo. Some P3 come in FCPGA some come in SECC and SECC2 socket / slot formats.

Crash informed me min voltage for this board is 1.85 pre rev 1.03.

Intel's site largest PIII with SECC interface at 1.8 or 2 V is the PIII 550. So natively I can go to a PIII 550.

Intel's site also listed some SSA (slot to socket adapter information). ASUS' S370-133 SSA conforms to all the requirements of the PIII architecture and they stand behind it.

ASUS' web site showed the S370-133 supporting voltages down to 1.5 v.

Intel's Site lists voltage requirements for their PIIIs such that with the above info and the SSA I can accept any PIII CPU between 550 MHz and 1100 MHz.

Ok so now its down to 100 MHz vs 133 MHz. There is a HUGE jump in price between the 100 and 133!! HUGE (double in one instance. So I'm looking at the PIII 1000 Mhz 100Mhz FSB (no overclocking, PCI, AGP, or my PC100 ram) the price difference between the 1.1 and the 1 GHz procs pays for the S370-133.

So does this seem right? Published support from both Intel and Asus that states this is possible. I've got the latest rev in my bios (12)

What do you guys think???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<b> If it beeps, It's still alive </b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Seems like you did your homework, check out www.powerleap.com

They make the adapter to adjust your voltage correctly for newest P3.

P2B is a good motherboard, its been good for you?

G

Yes I have been reading, Yes its been good to me. It was an $1800 CAN investment nearly 3.5 years ago. That's about 450 a year. Can't complain.

Bought it with PII 350, 6 GB Maxtor, 64 MB ram (who would ever need more?), Diamond Viper 550, SB PCI 128 and cambridge 5 speaker system, case, 36x CD.

Since then I've added 64 MB tried Win2k but lack of game support (probably due to uncertified video drivers) I've gone back to 98SE and its been awesome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<b> If it beeps, It's still alive </b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm still suggesting the iP3t/Celeron 1200 combo for $169 U.S. from Powerleap. It's right on par with the PIII 1000EB in performance, thanks to it's increased Cache and improved Tualatin core. And overclockable, with a voltage mod it will probably do 1600@133FSB. To get to 133FSB, you'll need a newer video card.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

So_Ulhar_Vester

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Hello.
I have found a P2B in my hardware jungle with a PII/350. It working good but a little bit slow. I go to Powerleap HomePage, found iP3T, but in the compatibility list I read it doesn't support this #'?-mobo P2B. Then I read this post. Now i ask what is right? Crashman, do iP3t work with this old P2B manufactured by Asus?
Greetings!

Live long and prosperous!!!
Without electronic, too!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I found that out after reviewing their revised compatability list. I believe it was originally listed as compatable, so I don't know what the problem is. You should just go for 1000EB on a slotket, as long as your motherboard supports the 133 setting, your memory is PC133, and your video card is new enough to handle the 89MHz AGP bus.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?