Sign in with
Your question

Dude your getting a Dell

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2001 1:37:15 PM

I don't know if it's Intel I don't like or that dorky dell dweep. And that other black hair kid looks just as goofy. Is Dell just for goofy people?
I don't know, but using goofy people to sell a product doesn't seem like a good ideal to me. Now the mar shins have invaded.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

More about : dude dell

December 29, 2001 2:06:56 PM

I'm not even looking at those guys unless they start selling AMDs.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
December 29, 2001 2:40:51 PM

Wouldn't that be something if they did start selling AMD. I would almost think they would have to.

Related resources
December 30, 2001 6:04:30 AM

Don't count on it, dell sells many systems and has contracts with many companies, and has a reputation for selling solid computers. AMD cpu's would be a support NIGHTMARE for dell. People who use their computer for schoolwork and jobs do not have time to deal with faulty cpu's and such. I'm sure they would lose millions of dollars on tech support alone if they chose to sells systems with fragile athlon cpu's.

<i>AMD's thermal protection: as seen in tom's burning chip video</i>
December 30, 2001 6:16:19 AM

LoL if you say so intel_inside.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
December 30, 2001 7:29:50 AM

gateway sells amd dont they? they have to support their stuff as well.
December 30, 2001 7:44:40 AM

lose millions on tech support, or do ya mean on faulty products? cause i'm pretty sure the tech support people wouldn't ask for a raise just to do their jobs. and if dell only sells intel products and you claim it to be so stable and whatnot, why do they need tech support?
December 30, 2001 11:29:32 AM

AMDMeltdown and Intel_inside are still dim-witted! Only Fugger has seen the light and is finally posting sensibly.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 30, 2001 11:49:56 AM

AMD_Man, one sensible post or two does not a reformed troll make, fugger still is, and will for quite some time, still be fugger.

His life consisists of spewing FFF(thats fugger fabricated facts for short) and then he resorts to name calling and thowing tantrems.

^the above was borrowed from someone, but I cant recall who always said it when fugger lied.

December 30, 2001 12:06:08 PM

That would be me.

Some long time ago I asked an "amd or intel" question and got a ton of good, unbiased information from many different people. Fugger responded with his usual anti-AMD venom, and I got rather irked that he tried to MISLEAD me with biased information rather then simply present facts.

Since then, whenever I see him respond with his usual misinformed information, I respond with the FFF so that the newcomer won't take him seriously.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
December 30, 2001 6:10:56 PM

Matisaro, one sensible post or two does not a reformed troll make, matisaro still is, and will for quite some time, still be matisaro.

His life consisists of spewing MFF(thats matisaro fabricated flames for short) and then he resorts to name calling and thowing tantrems.

^the above was borrowed from someone, but I cant recall who always said it when matisaro had a childish fit.

December 30, 2001 6:15:12 PM

lol, now that was idiotic.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 30, 2001 7:18:51 PM

i agree, but back to the dell situation or maybe, if intel products are that great (somehow these people think that as long as theirs an intel chip the rest of their system will run great) then why not spend the majority of your cash on the p4 itself, get a POS board with a POS vid card and sound and a POS psu and POS ram and only spend about $200 for all of that (excluding the p4 itself) and it will cost just as much as an AMD system, and let's see how great that p4 is ;) 
December 30, 2001 9:38:07 PM

ROFLMAO. Having extra problems. I can see that u mothervcking trolls have no place to point at, so are sticking to thermal protection bullshiit. Well, guess what, that don't matter. How does teh averag ekid doing homework pull off his/her heatsink(remember, they're not as dumb as you). Jeez man, I see tons of companies selling AMD with PRIDE, and you know what, it seems those companies are getting more customers! maybe it's cause I have made sure everyone in my grade knows AMD is better, but hey, maybe it's just cause it's a cheaper, better product! Go jerk off or something, leave this forums...forever.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!
December 30, 2001 9:41:36 PM

Quote:
maybe it's cause I have made sure everyone in my grade knows AMD is better

lol, that goes for me too!

December 30, 2001 9:56:31 PM

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe it's cause I have made sure everyone in my grade knows AMD is better

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend was looking to upgrade, but he already heard that. I didn't have to tell him.

December 30, 2001 11:41:01 PM

<in a prophet's voice>
Go forth and spread the word!!!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
December 31, 2001 2:48:35 AM

I told my neighbor I could build him an entire AMD computer cheaper than a Dell, and it would perform better, and have all quality name brand parts inside (unlike Dell which will throw in generic crap once in awhile).
Well turns out he decided to buy a Dell, though I'm not sure which model I'll find out soon because he wants me to put it together for him. I have a feeling its a 1.6 GHz P4 with SDRAM. I tried to warn him that option was taking new technology and mixing it with old cheap technology but seems like he didn't listen.

Welcome to the end of your life Mr. Intel CPU. Don't worry I promise its going to hurt.
December 31, 2001 3:13:13 AM

I am getting so sick of flames I'm about to shoot a huge fireball out of my a$$. "MY PROCESSOR HAS A BIGGER *#@#! THAN YOUR PR0CESSOR!" Jeeezzz, If you prefer Intel buy Intel, if you prefer AMD buy AMD. I can't understand the hatred Intel users have for AMD users and vice versa. Why do you have to wave either flag? The way you guys act is almost like your on thier (AMD or Intel's) payroll. Just admit that Intel has its merits and AMD has its merits and get over it. We all know by now AMD's price/performance is much better than Intel's. We also know that Intel's thermal solution is much better than AMD's. Let's move on.
December 31, 2001 5:21:44 AM

Quote:
<b>matisaro still is, and will for quite some time, still be matisaro.</b>

You are a genious! WOW!

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
December 31, 2001 5:34:03 AM

Great! There will be no identiy crisis for Matisaro.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:
December 31, 2001 8:21:55 AM

LoL, ..... Am I matisaro?

December 31, 2001 10:06:34 AM

Yup, you sure seem like Matisaro to me...

Maybe we should pin a note to Intel_Inside's forehead, just so he remembers that his real name is "troll." :wink:

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
December 31, 2001 10:31:51 AM

Quote:
I am getting so sick of flames I'm about to shoot a huge fireball out of my a$$. "MY PROCESSOR HAS A BIGGER *#@#! THAN YOUR PR0CESSOR!" Jeeezzz,

I don't think some of us can get over it, at least not the power user. Were not the only guilty ones. If word get's around AMD is faster, Intel comes out with something faster. And AMD doesn't like that, so they come out with something faster yet. I'll stop when those too stop and become equal.
By the way I use my PC for gaming, and AMD just happens to be faster doing that. If I did something else and Intel was faster then I'd use them. If Intel beats AMD in gaming, I'll switch, but first wait and see what AMD does. Other words I think their both are good as long as they have problem free hardware. As for the bashers, we need them too to keep us on our toes.

Quote:
We all know by now AMD's price/performance is much better than Intel's.

What if they cost the same?

December 31, 2001 7:20:58 PM

sorry I don't think so, the only troll I see in this thread is matisaro. Maybe one day he may grow up and stop posting trolls but untill then we will all have to smile and nod and ignore his blather.

January 1, 2002 12:19:58 AM

Quote:
Maybe one day he may grow up and stop posting trolls

You should take your own advice as well!

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
January 1, 2002 12:53:14 AM

Lol. Where ya been..haven't seen u in a while?

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!
January 1, 2002 1:39:19 AM

If I am a troll, then how come everyone told you you were full of Sh1t and to run along, lol.

You are a laugh intel_inside, go play with meltdown, hes lonely after creeper got banned.

January 1, 2002 3:42:56 AM

Quote:
AMD cpu's would be a support NIGHTMARE for dell. People who use their computer for schoolwork and jobs do not have time to deal with faulty cpu's and such. I'm sure they would lose millions of dollars on tech support alone if they chose to sells systems with fragile athlon cpu's.

You spout drivel like this and then call Matisaro a troll? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Matisaro isn't a troll in my book, but you definitely are.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>
January 1, 2002 7:40:16 AM

Thanks.

January 1, 2002 9:43:29 PM

Jiffy, are you fed up with intel or Dell? If it's Intel, then I can't see why you are picking on one manufacturer.

If it's Dell, then you are wrong mate. I recently bought a Dell computer (<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">See my previous post here</A>), and I think the purchase was well worth it. I bought it at a very very low price. The computer is like steel. I haven't found a single flaw in it yet (apart from Windows XP not being compatible to a few things, but that's a Microsoft problem and not Dell's). I haven't had the need to telephone for support yet, but I dialled the support number just to experience how quick it was getting to them and I didn't had to wait long before someone spoke to me. I asked them a few questions regarding my computer and they responded well.

Here is the spec and price:

<i>1.8 GHz Pentium 4 (no noise)
mini Tower chassis
384 Mb NON-ECC RDRAM 2(64+128)
100Gb HD (7200rpm)
19" Trinitron Flat Screen Monitor,
16x DVD Drive & Software Decoding
16x IDE CD-RW Internal
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Harmon Kardon 695 speakers (with subwoofer)
64MB nVidia GeFore3 Ti 200 Card
MS Windows XP
(plus other standard things)
3 years warranty
Total Price = £1300 (inc. VAT (tax) and delivery)</i>

Oh by the way, your formula for Dell=Goofy breaks down cos I'm not goofy!! :tongue:

<font color=blue><i>Mankind must put an end to War,
or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue>
January 1, 2002 10:25:36 PM

Either, I'm fed up with the Doooood your getting a Dell dweep.
Outside of that I don't have nothing against Dell or Intel. Sounds like a nice system, good for you. Hope it's good to you, no really.

Complicated Nit Picker
January 1, 2002 10:32:01 PM

Quote:

1.8 GHz Pentium 4 (no noise)

lol, CPUs don't make noise! It's the fans on them that do!

January 1, 2002 11:04:01 PM

"I haven't found a single flaw in it yet (apart from Windows XP not being compatible to a few things, but that's a Microsoft problem and not Dell's)"

Actually, the responsibility lies with the manufacturers of your hardware for not updating their drivers.
January 1, 2002 11:17:35 PM

Not to mention which, the manufacturer in this case (Dell) may well refuse to support the system, now that he's no longer running the factory-installed O/S. Some people on this forum have already had that problem with Dell.

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
January 2, 2002 9:16:52 PM

Conquerer, I don't know how many times people will have to tell you this, but your problems with Dell will not start today. They will start tommorrow when you try to upgrade, call for upgrade help, need new drivers, install a new OS, have a hardware conflict, etc etc. If you never change a single thing on that machine then I think you'll be fine though. Wait until you do need real help though and you have to sit on the phone for 5 hours while they read a book trying to figure out what in the world is going on with your machine and never do.

I still use my Dell, it still works, but that last year of service from them was a no go. They will have no clue about your computer in 2 years. They won't care either since they'll have stopped shipping it, stopped making drivers for it, stopped thinking about it.

I'm just glad you got that great deal. Why did they ship windows XP with it though if some of your components were not compatable?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
January 2, 2002 11:03:09 PM

<i>Conquerer, I don't know how many times people will have to tell you this, but your problems with Dell will not start today. They will start tommorrow when you try to upgrade, call for upgrade help, need new drivers, install a new OS, have a hardware conflict, etc etc.</i>

That can be said for anything and everything, not just for a Dell computer. Problems always occur when new hardware/software come out. However, I made sure that these problems will remain as minimum as possible. I did a lot of research before I bought the computer. The only likely uprade I will be doing to this computer will be the processor, and maybe the RAM too. Which is why I made sure I get a motherboard which will be compatible with the Northwood processor that will be coming out soon. The motherboard is socket 478 compatible and so I am ok with that.

<i>I'm just glad you got that great deal. Why did they ship windows XP with it though if some of your components were not compatable?</i>

Actually, when I said that some of the hardware is not compatible with the Windows XP, I was referring to other hardware that did not come with the computer, like my Sony digital camera. But I have managed to work it now. It was not a Windows XP problem at all! I had never used a Digital Camera before and I was trying to play the video through the USB port on the computer!!!! Silly me! How can I make such a mistake? It is obvious that I need a video capture card before I can play a video on my computer. The USB port only allows digital images to be viewed from the digital camera, which works perfectly.

January 3, 2002 1:03:30 PM

You have tech support for faulty users. We seldom get calls that relate to hardware problems. 90% of the time it is because the user installed, deleted or just doesn't know what the hell they are doing. Just like quite a few people in here that have problems. This message board would have less posts if people did a little research and RTFM. Just my 2 cents. I feel much better. Thanks

Are you the friend who works on computers? :cool:
January 3, 2002 3:48:06 PM

It seems like a tough business selling computers to people, since a few, if not most won't have a clue to what their doing at least compared to someone who builds them. They would expect everything to work perfect. I don't think I would last to long giving support, I'd probable get fired for being hot headed and inpatient. hehe
Reading is good. I built my first PC after some reading and many more since then. Now I have to wonder why someone with the same system can't boot. Not to leave myself open, but you know what I mean. But they come to the right place if everybody isn't to tired of answering the same thing over and over. I think it's time for some copy and paste.

Complicated Nit Picker
January 3, 2002 4:37:57 PM

Quote:
That can be said for anything and everything, not just for a Dell computer.

true, but if you buy the parts, you can use 3Com's drivers, or nVidia drivers, updates from Asus or Abit, etc.
Dell WILL stop support on the machine, most hardware they use will still work on the standard drivers, some will not, so you will rely on Dell for drivers for Windows XSOBMFCS and Dell won't come through.
Asus and nVidia will, but Dell won't go to the trouble up changing the drivers around so they'll work.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
January 3, 2002 11:04:39 PM

Actually, I've found Dell is very good about coming up with new drivers for new OS versions.

And you've got to admit (if you've ever used one) they are extremely quiet

- JW
January 3, 2002 11:21:08 PM

If you don't overclock, then any computer is quiet. I've got them sitting next to each other right now and they're both pretty quiet.

And no, Dell never released any new drivers. I bought my computer in Sept of 1998 and the last drivers they released were in the middle of 1999. I then had 2+ years of support from them that basically didn't do me any good. I'm just glad that WinXP supports my components since 2000 and Me wouldn't. Me wouldn't work period though.

It's a matter of proprietary vs oem. When you build your own machine you buy components from companies that actually release drivers after they've come out with a newer product. Only exception is when 3DFX went out of business, but even then people still released modified drivers.

January 3, 2002 11:28:38 PM

I don't mean that they introduce new drivers every week, I mean when a new OS is released they release new drivers for that OS.

My Dell laptop shipped with Win98, when Win2000 came out I upgraded and found all the drivers I needed at support.dell.com, and I see they have all the WinXP drivers as well.

-JW
January 4, 2002 8:47:33 PM

Dell does seem to have better support for laptops, but I have several labs full of Dell's at work, they are no longer supported.
the only OS Dell supports for them are the ones available when you purchased the system.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
January 8, 2002 10:35:59 PM

<i>if you buy the parts, you can use 3Com's drivers, or nVidia drivers, updates from Asus or Abit, etc.
Dell WILL stop support on the machine, most hardware they use will still work on the standard drivers, some will not, so you will rely on Dell for drivers for Windows XSOBMFCS and Dell won't come through.
Asus and nVidia will, but Dell won't go to the trouble up changing the drivers around so they'll work.</i>

I have already updated WinXP from Microsoft's website. The built in "Windows update" program updates all the hardware for you automatically via the internet. The program installed some service packs, security features and other files from Microsoft's website. It also installed new features for some software like my PowerDVD and MovieMaker. Bear in mind that my Power DVD software is EXCLUSIVLEY designed for Dell computer's, since it has a big Dell logo on it, yet my Windows Update program updated this too!!

Windows Update EVEN updated the driver's for nVidia GeForce3 graphics card!! I had a display problem running "World Champship Snooker" before, but now the game works perfectly fine. I even visited nVidia's website and installed some extra driver's and features for my graphics card.

And guess what? I connected an old printer I had (Epson Stylus Photo 750) to my computer and I didn't had to install any kind of software or drivers for it!!!! My printer just began to work straight away. I had my driver CD for the printer ready in my hand but I didn't need it!! Isn't that cool?

I can't see how I have to rely on Dell for updating my drivers and hardware support.

January 8, 2002 10:50:06 PM

Well hey, if you can have a quality system and is very stable, and gives you good performance (I am still very amazed a brand-name PC came with such high-tech parts!!) plus warranty, and you are quite smart to handle any problem by using seperate updating measures, then you should be happy for this purchase indeed!
Congrats, you're the only one who has a Dell fully functional based on your options! I wish Dell would then get AMD too, and continue with this good hardware setting like yours, cuz it would seriously be good deals.

--
January 9, 2002 2:29:13 AM

Look, if you want to be narrow minded and arguementative, thats fine.
Fact is, Dell is legally not able to support your Win98 machine when you upgrade to WindowsXP. LEGAL.
If your hardware will work with other drivers, good, some WILL NOT. The Power DVD software isn't exclusive to your computer, or 1. Microsoft wouldn't have updated it 2. it probably wouldn't exist 3. I can put a bit 74merc logo on it too, does that make it exclusive to my car?
Dell isn't in the software market, they bought it, the only catch may be the installation program looking for Dell BIOS.
Using Windows update for drivers for nVidia cards just dropped your credibility.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
January 9, 2002 11:39:31 AM

Quote:
Bear in mind that my Power DVD software is EXCLUSIVLEY designed for Dell computer's, since it has a big Dell logo on it, yet my Windows Update program updated this too!!

LoL, and my internet explorer was exc;usivly designed for at&t broadband after I installed their cable internet software.

LoL, my 3dmark2001 which came with my elsa gladiac920 was designed for elsa because its logo apears at startup heh.

The companys icon does not change anything in the code, its a tiny little pic they put in with a small script.

Updating windows on ms's site is different that installing non specific drivers etc.

January 9, 2002 1:06:04 PM

Couple O things:

1. Yes, fugger is das uber troll. I've seen guys in dire need of help and he comes along and tells them what dumbasses they are for not owning what he considers the perfect system. He doesn't even bother to help...

2. The REAL reason why Dell doesn't use AMD processors: This is FACT, not speculation. AMD doesn't produce the volume that intel does. Dell is almost 100% build-to-order. The reason they are kicking the snot out of Gateway and Compaq is because they only buy parts when they need them. They have almost NO inventory at all. They don't buy 10,000 processors and let em sit on the shelf until the price drops then try to sell them. Because AMD can't fill big orders on short notice it would leave Dell in the position of having machines delayed due to a supplier. Dell WANTS to sell AMD, but some things have to fall in place first.

3. Gripe all you want about dell tech support but they are far better than gateway or compaq. Some people are pissed that they can't get dell to cough up XP drivers for some 2 year old computer (waaaa!) but you can call dell at any hour of the day give them your serial number (5-7 digit...not 20) and they will know EXACTLY what computer you have and what components. Go try that on compaq.

4. That "Dude, you're getting a Dell" kid is gay and uses drugs.
January 9, 2002 3:08:14 PM

3. With my experience in Dell and Gateway support, Gateway is far, far superior. Funny, ain't it?

4. I couldn't agree more.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
!