G

Hello,

My XP 1900+ is running warmer than I expected (55-60C). I installed retail heatsink/fan.
The case is Fung Kai FK320 with Enhance 0730

Here are the steps I plan to do:

1. I will change Enhance to Enermax EG365P-VE FCA(does anybody know if Enermax is quieter?)
2. Apply Artic Silver II (is it worth it? Does it come with instructions)

I dont want to change HSF, don't like the noise.

Any opinions?

Thank you,

Stepan

svol

Champion
Arctic Silver 2 is much better in conducting heat then the standard thermal grease, and will drop the temp of your CPU a couple degrees. More info about applying it can be found at <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com</A>.
Not only the heatsink is important for a good CPU temp. but also a good airflow inside the case is of great importance. It's best to have atleast 2 80mm casefans, one blowing in at the bottom front, and one blowing out at the upper rear. If your casetemp drop 5 C your CPU temp will also drop between the 5-10 C.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
IS IT LOCKING UP!!!!

If it is not locking up, STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT.

Running hot is a relative term, if the processor is not hot enough to lock up, it is not hot enough to cause damage.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Doesn't running cooler ensure your CPU has a longer life? Not important if you upgrade every other day (as some people here seem to) but some people might consider that to be a benefit.

Kruglikov, what brand of motherboard are you using? I hear that some ASUS boards exagerate your CPUs temperature by up to 5 degrees.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah, 15 years instead of 20?

Running cooler is good, but if it is not locking up there is no reason, no valid reason imo, to spend time and or money making it run cooler.

Martyhead

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2001
I feel your pain. I have Athlon XP 1900+ too and running up to 62-64c (my OS locked around that temp). I have a Swiftech MCX-370 and a Coolermaster ATC210 case and I am forced to keep the case open.

Currently my temps run between 54-57c and although my CPU isnt locking up...I am still not satisfied. I want a cooler CPU in the mid to high 40s.

I just ordered a Swiftech MCX462A and some Artic Silver II...I will keep you in the loop on how low my temps drop. At $75.00 for a copper CPU cooler...it better work well. :)

"I got over 100 Gig stacked on my rig"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I feel your pain. I have Athlon XP 1900+ too and running up to 62-64c (my OS locked around that temp). I have a Swiftech MCX-370 and a Coolermaster ATC210 case and I am forced to keep the case open.
Obviously something is wrong here! Maybe the HSF isn't install properly?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

<i>..."I just ordered a Swiftech MCX462A and some Artic Silver II...I will keep you in the loop on how low my temps drop. At $75.00 for a copper CPU cooler...it better work well. :)..."</i>

Indeed it will or should. Ever since I got the original MC462 about a year ago, my temps have gone down by an average of 10C, thus allowing me the luxury of overclocking to well above a 2000+ rating. Well worth the $75-80 bucks invested believe you me :)

Just be extra careful on a proper grounding scheme to the mobo, otherwise you'll risk bringing down the PSU, if not worse.

G

Yesterday I moved couple of IDE ribbons and the temperature dropped 5 degrees C. Now I am thinkning about those round cables.

I looked at AMD website and was very suprised that Swiftech wasn't listed at all???!!! What happened? I thought they were listed when I was buying the system.

$75 hah... more than I want to spend, but I keep thinking that summer is coming, and the room temperature will go up 5 to 10 degrees, which means that CPU temp may go up 15-20???!!!

I like AMD but this might keep me from recommending it to others...

Keep me posted.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A NON OVERCLOCKED ATHLON WITH A STOCK HEATSINK PROPERLY INSTALLED AND ONE CASE FAN(OR NOT DEPENDING ON ROOM TEMPS) WILL NOT OVERHEAT.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, or overclocking, or mistaking something else for a heat related instability.

That is all.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b><A HREF="http://www.cablesusa.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=USA68802&partno=01517&search=RIBBON&rsite=www.cablesusa.com&rcode=" target="_new"> ULTRA ATA/100 ATA/133 ROUND TWISTED DUAL IDE 3 CONN 40 PIN 80 CABLE 18-Inch</A></b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Corona999

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I have the 1900+ cooled by a Swiftech MCX370 and my temps do not go over 50. Only at full load does it reach that. Whenever I install a heatsink I make sure that the heatsink is making full contact with the cpu die. I'll put arctic silver on the cpu and install the heatsink. Then I'll take it off again to see if the shape of the cpu is imprinted on the bottom of the heatsink with arctic silver. If it is then I know that they're making contact. Another check I do is place the motherboard flat on a table with the heatsink installed. I'll place it on the edge of the table and bend down so that the bottom of the heatsink and top of cpu are the same level as my eyes. Then I'll take a flashlight and check to see if it's in full contact. Anyway, hope you guys are able to get your temps down.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Something seems to be wrong if your temps are that high. I've got an XP 1900+ with a Taisol HSF. It's a good heatsink, but not the absolute best. The highest temp I ever see is 45C, and my range is 38-45C. The XP shouldn't run that hot with even the stock HSF. I'd maybe invest in some Arctic Silver and check the mounting to make sure you have good contact between the CPU and HSF. Try to move your cables out of the way so they don't obstruct airflow. I have rounded cables, but it's more for looks than anything. I don't know if they lower my temps at all. You should have at least two case fans, one in the lower front sucking air in and one in back up by the CPU blowing air out. And your power supply should have an opening or fan on the bottom to suck warm air away from the CPU. If you have a cheap PSU that only has one opening, then it's not helping much. Anyway, that's my 2 cents ...

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The reason that Swiftech is not approved by AMD is the weight. It has to be under 300g (I could be off here) for the hsf to make the list and the Swiftech is over that weight.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

how long do you plan on keeping it? with constant use with normal temps it would last what 80 years? lol just guessing... besides in 5 years what you have won't work on anything because everything will be aimed at 64bit applications while your cpu is 32bit. Won't work! And in 10 years i'm guessing 128bit cpus. In 20 years you won't recognize a computer if someone came back in time and dropped one on your lap you wouldn't have a clue how to use it.

So you WILL be upgrading forever! muhahahahhahahhahahaha :)

so don't worry about it! you will not be keeping the cpu forever. By the time it dies it's already used as your door stop.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

they are not ribbons, they are round, see www.neweg.com (cables)

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"My XP 1900+ is running warmer than I expected (55-60C)."

What is the ambient temperature of your case? Is it near room temperature? Do you have case fans? If so, in which direction are they blowing? Unless you have a high-end motherboard with special support for the Athlon XP's temperature diode (Are there many of these yet? I have not investigated recently...) and a shutoff system, your processor will not be shut off due to high temperatures. In this case, the high temperature itself will slightly damage your processor and cause it to malfunction, causing a lockup. The damage may or may not be serious, usually resulting in the shortening of the processor's lifespan from the normal 10 year period to something around 5 percent less per lockup.

Ensuring that your processor does not lock up, and keeping it cooler in general, will ensure maximum lifespan. If you do not care much about the maximum lifespan then you can ignore this. Just ensure the temperature does not increase any more than it already has. If you do care, take a look at the air flow in your case and the heat flow from the processor to the heatsink to the case.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
What is the ambient temperature of your case? Is it near room temperature? Do you have case fans? If so, in which direction are they blowing? Unless you have a high-end motherboard with special support for the Athlon XP's temperature diode (Are there many of these yet? I have not investigated recently...) and a shutoff system, your processor will not be shut off due to high temperatures. In this case, the high temperature itself will slightly damage your processor and cause it to malfunction, causing a lockup. The damage may or may not be serious, usually resulting in the shortening of the processor's lifespan from the normal 10 year period to something around 5 percent less per lockup.

Ray, where did you get the 5% figure.

Also, he is not locking up, if a processor does not lock up, there is NO damage being caused.

And 20 years to 15(worst case) is a much more accurate generalization than 10 to 5.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Most processors are created with a 10 year lifespan in mind, not 15 or 20.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
And most modern processors will outlive their minimal lifespan by a great deal, modern process techniques have reduced electromigration substancially.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, I'm curious, say you have a slightly (10%) overclocked processor that's running at high 30s temp. Does this processor have a reduced life if it is cooled very well?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
10% is not much as far as overclocking is concerned. Additionally, temperatures in the 30s is fairly cool for a processor. You should be fine. The two questions I would ask are: 1) What is the default voltage for your processor. 2) At what voltage are you currently running your processor?

-Raystonn