Will Tualatin 1.2 be better than Athlon 1.2

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In case of performance with games? I did not see any reviews on those yet...

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
The Athlon 1Ghz beats the P3 1Ghz, so I'm willing to bet that an Athlon 1.2Ghz beats a P3 1.2Ghz.
The P3 would run a lot cooler and have more reliable thermal protection, but that's about it.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
or if it doesn't, use the money you'd save buying an athlon and get a better HSF and overclock that puppy to the speeds you desire :) if the p3 is as fast and around the same price, and you like the fact that you have that thermal protection then by all means get yourself one

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
When both a P3 and an Athlon are paired with mere PC133, the P3 generally has marginally less performance per clock. OTOH, the P3 consumes only slightly more than half the power of an Athlon. As far as the new Tualatins go, I wouldn't expect much difference--especially with the bus artificially limited to 100MHz, as in the new Tualatin-Celerons.

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
But the Tulatin Celerons do overclock very-well. If you take the hand-brake of, ie increase the bus frequency to 133, they run extremely well.

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 1.26GHz (133MHz FSB, 512k Cache) version PIII slightly edges out the 1.2GHz T-Bird.

The 1.2GHz (133MHz FSB, 256k cache) version PIII is slightly beeten by the T-Bird.

The 1.2GHz (100MHz FSB, 256k Cache) Celeron is beaten fairly well by the T-Bird, mostly due to slower bus speed, but is easier to overclock.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
It means higher bandwidth if you pair it with high-bandwidth memory (like PC2100). Otherwise the extra bandwidth is useless. The T-bird+PC133 slightly edged out the Coppermine+PC133; there's anywhere from a 10-20% performance boost going from PC133 to PC2100 on a T-bird, plus another 5-10% from going from a T-bird to an AthlonXP.

I'd frankly be surprised as all hell to see a T-bird with 512K L2 cache. No offense, but I'd have to see photos of the actual CPU itself and a WCPUID screenshot to believe it. If you do indeed have one, it's probably an experimental model that slipped through the cracks.

Kelledin

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The PIII Coppermine always favored D3D benchmarks such as 3DM2k over the Athlon, the Tualatin uses even better cache and more of it. I think it has to do with the superb implementation of SSE. But anyway, the 1.26GHz Tualatin edged out the T-Bird with wins in mostly non memory bandwidth intensive programs, with the T-Bird winning the more bandwidth intensive stuff. Overall it looked like the 1.26GHz Tualatin was a little better that the T-Bird, and much of that could probably be credited to it's cache, since the 256k Tualatin lost to the same T-Bird by similar margins.
The BIGGEST advantage to the T-Bird was that you could get one at higher frequencies for less money. And all the XP's leave the Tualatin in the dust, being clocked higher and having improved architecture.
The higher the frequency, the more important AMD's DDR architecture becomes, so I wouln't be surprized to see the XP1600+ beat a Tualatin Celeron at 1600MHz, even though the XP1600+ only runs at 1400MHz.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
here's a bench from THG
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010919/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010919/index.html</A>
formulate your own opinions.

imho, yes the Tualatin is better than the Athlon.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
But for the same price you get a Tualatin, you can get an Athlon XP that's light-years faster than a Tualatin, even when overclocked.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well, even if you do have one of the first 'C' Type T-Bird 1.2's it doesnt mean you have 512K of L2 cache....as the only Athlno's that were OFFICIALLY released with 512K of L2 cache were the Slot A K7's that had off-die ½ speed L2 cache, and from there on, it went to 1/3 and 2/5 etc.......

Please, vist the <A HREF="http://www.h-oda.com/" target="_new"> H-ODA </A> and download WCPUID and screen capture it......I think we'd ALL be intrigued to see this.......

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"But for the same price you get a Tualatin, you can get an Athlon XP that's light-years faster than a Tualatin, even when overclocked."

read the title of the original post, einstein.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1509" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1509</A>

Seems the Tualatin continually falls behind an Athlon 1.2GHz in all but two or three tests--even if it's not up against a Palomino.

The Tualatin only has a snowball's chance if you cripple the Athlon with PC133 memory. Not to mention which, you'll have no upgrade path with the Tualatin, and if you want the 133MHz FSB, you'll have to pay ~$100 more than you'd pay for a Palomino 1.2GHz.

That's the trouble with opinions--they're sometimes wrong.

Kelledin

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
::Repeats what kelledin said::

Even in toms test the athlon 1.2 won more than half of the benchmarks against the 1.2 tualitin.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sorry but you are wrong, the article I pointed out is testing a P3-S w/512K you just found the 256K version, not too bright, dude.

also, I beleive the Athlon test box had ddr memory, isn't that double data rate? correct me if wrong but don't Athlon come in 200 or 266(133x2 in this case) speeds?

now if someone could test a ddr P3-S 512K 1.4GHz against a AXP 1600- to see how well that PR number holds up.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
DDR makes no difference with the P3. Also, why would anyone in their right mind compare a P3-S to a Athlon 1.2GHz? The price difference is huge. If you take that into account as well, the 1.2GHz Athlon still beats in many benchmarks and is a fraction of the cost, then the the Athlon wins, hands down.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"::Repeats what kelledin said::

Even in toms test the athlon 1.2 won more than half of the benchmarks against the 1.2 tualitin."

what article did you read? I have the tualatin 1.2GHz winning about 8 and the Athlon 1.2GHz wins only 5 with one that looks to be a tie.

do I need to point them all out to you?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"why would anyone in their right mind compare a P3-S to a Athlon 1.2GHz? The price difference is huge......Athlon wins, hands down."

yeah but, this does not have anything to do with the question, lets stick to the performance issues between the two cpus like the original poster asked, Ok!

"DDR makes no difference with the P3"

I will refer you to ole' Bert McComas article and the anti-Rambus/Intel website: <A HREF="http://www.inqst.com/articles/p3ddr/p3ddrmain.htm" target="_new">http://www.inqst.com/articles/p3ddr/p3ddrmain.htm</A> and you decide whether that's true or not.

Imo, the Tualatin 512K version wins hands down high price ,low price it does not matter!