WotC submission guidelines

Hello everybody

One of our group is a current writer for Dungeon. He always says that
WotC are very, very careful about any purile puns or innuendo in
submissions.

Has anybody else had a simular experience? I have got a couple of mods
nearing completion (and yes, one does feature a stoneroper bard). I
would value any submission tactics that have proven successful.

- Before anybody states the obvious;

:Yes, I have got the wotc submission guidelines
and
: No, I'm not going to call the adventure anything like "Uncle Knobby
Get Stuck in the Bonus Tunnel" etc

(or even "Donald Drider visits the City of Wopitupshitta"

Actually I might call the underdark Drow city in my campaign
"Wopitupshitta". Or does it sound more like an ancient Peruvian diety?

Murf wrote:

> One of our group is a current writer for Dungeon. He always says that
> WotC are very, very careful about any purile puns or innuendo in
> submissions.

I thought that their rules about how you phrase things in combat were
interesting - enemies "deal" damage, they don't "inflict" it, and characters
"take" damage, they don't "suffer" it.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
danger. It works the same in any country.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:02:39 GMT, Christopher Adams scrawled:

> Murf wrote:
>>
>> One of our group is a current writer for Dungeon. He always says that
>> WotC are very, very careful about any purile puns or innuendo in
>> submissions.
>
> I thought that their rules about how you phrase things in combat were
> interesting - enemies "deal" damage, they don't "inflict" it, and
> characters "take" damage, they don't "suffer" it.

They're less 'organic' terms. If I were to use inflict and suffer, I'd
associate it more directly with the concept of harm. An object, for
example wouldn't necessarily suffer, but still take damage. IYSWIM.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

Rexx Magnus wrote:
> Christopher Adams scrawled:
>> Murf wrote:
>>>
>>> One of our group is a current writer for Dungeon. He always says that
>>> WotC are very, very careful about any purile puns or innuendo in
>>> submissions.
>>
>> I thought that their rules about how you phrase things in combat were
>> interesting - enemies "deal" damage, they don't "inflict" it, and
>> characters "take" damage, they don't "suffer" it.
>
> They're less 'organic' terms. If I were to use inflict and suffer, I'd
> associate it more directly with the concept of harm. An object, for
> example wouldn't necessarily suffer, but still take damage. IYSWIM.

True, but I suspect the motivation is to present combat as neutrally as
possible.

--

Christopher Adams wrote:

> Rexx Magnus wrote:
>
>>Christopher Adams scrawled:

>>>I thought that their rules about how you phrase things in combat were
>>>interesting - enemies "deal" damage, they don't "inflict" it, and
>>>characters "take" damage, they don't "suffer" it.
>>
>>They're less 'organic' terms. If I were to use inflict and suffer, I'd
>>associate it more directly with the concept of harm. An object, for
>>example wouldn't necessarily suffer, but still take damage. IYSWIM.
>

> True, but I suspect the motivation is to present combat as neutrally as
> possible.

I don't recall any of that, but then again I haven't been published by
TSR in close to a decade now.

As I remember, you couldn't include scenes of children being tortured,
rape, fecal humor, etc. Pretty much what you'd expect, really. Since
nothing I ever sent them included any of that, it never really affected
me. I think they tried to limit pure goofiness too.

Although my adventure "Savage Beast" *does* include a magic kazoo.
Which is nothing compared to "Old Man Katan and his Incredible, Edible,
Dancing Mushroom Band" (which I didn't write, but did enjoy).

But all of that was 2nd Edition. Things may be different now.

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:
[...]
> Although my adventure "Savage Beast" *does* include a magic kazoo.
> Which is nothing compared to "Old Man Katan and his Incredible, Edible,
> Dancing Mushroom Band" (which I didn't write, but did enjoy).

I still remember that old Dungeon scenario, even though it's
at least 10 years since I read it, and more likely 12 or 13.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org