Dim 4300 reboot HELP

Hello to all.
My daughter's D4300 (Win XP Home has just started going nuts. As of
yesterday, it froze up while she was online, then when she hit
Ctrl-Alt-Del, it went into a continuous reboot sequence. That's where it is
now. It gets up to the point where the splash screen says "Loading personal
settings", then reboots, over and over and....
I can get into the BIOS, all looks OK, all the hardware, memory is
recognized, but it won't progress beyond that splash screen.
Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, when I get home
tonight I'm going to try a thorough cleaning and re-insertion of all the
cards, etc.

Thanks in advance to all and best regards,
Morey G

Dim 4300 P4 1.5GHz
768MB RAM 20Gb HDD
Win XP Home
Sony CDRW
LiteOn DVD ROM
ATI 9700 AGP card
24 answers Last reply
More about 4300 reboot help

    Boot to safe mode (F8) and go to control panel>system
    properties>advanced>startup and recovery settings. Remove the check from
    automatically restart. Then report back with the blue screen info.

    "Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > Hello to all.
    > My daughter's D4300 (Win XP Home has just started going nuts. As of
    > yesterday, it froze up while she was online, then when she hit
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del, it went into a continuous reboot sequence. That's where it
    > is
    > now. It gets up to the point where the splash screen says "Loading
    > personal
    > settings", then reboots, over and over and....
    > I can get into the BIOS, all looks OK, all the hardware, memory is
    > recognized, but it won't progress beyond that splash screen.
    > Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, when I get home
    > tonight I'm going to try a thorough cleaning and re-insertion of all the
    > cards, etc.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to all and best regards,
    > Morey G
    >
    > Dim 4300 P4 1.5GHz
    > 768MB RAM 20Gb HDD
    > Win XP Home
    > Sony CDRW
    > LiteOn DVD ROM
    > ATI 9700 AGP card

    Thanks for the prompt response! I did as you said, but the same thing
    happens...It begins booting to Safe Mode, it's identified as "Safe Mode"
    but then as soon as it gets to the "Loading your personal settings" splash
    screen, it reboots.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a hardware glitch?? But I haven't a
    clue.

    Thanks again,
    Morey

    > Boot to safe mode (F8) and go to control panel>system
    > properties>advanced>startup and recovery settings. Remove the check from
    > automatically restart. Then report back with the blue screen info.
    >

    > "Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello to all.
    > > My daughter's D4300 (Win XP Home has just started going nuts. As of
    > > yesterday, it froze up while she was online, then when she hit
    > > Ctrl-Alt-Del, it went into a continuous reboot sequence. That's where
    it
    > > is
    > > now. It gets up to the point where the splash screen says "Loading
    > > personal
    > > settings", then reboots, over and over and....
    > > I can get into the BIOS, all looks OK, all the hardware, memory is
    > > recognized, but it won't progress beyond that splash screen.
    > > Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, when I get home
    > > tonight I'm going to try a thorough cleaning and re-insertion of all
    the
    > > cards, etc.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance to all and best regards,
    > > Morey G
    > >
    > > Dim 4300 P4 1.5GHz
    > > 768MB RAM 20Gb HDD
    > > Win XP Home
    > > Sony CDRW
    > > LiteOn DVD ROM
    > > ATI 9700 AGP card

    You might crack it open and make sure all the cards are set in the slots
    tightly. And blast the whole thing out with compressed air. I have a 4300
    also. So I know that they are relatively old. So give it a good cleaning and
    inspection. Also make sure all the cables leading too and from the drives
    are seated properly.

    > Thanks for the prompt response! I did as you said, but the same thing
    > happens...It begins booting to Safe Mode, it's identified as "Safe Mode"
    > but then as soon as it gets to the "Loading your personal settings" splash
    > screen, it reboots.
    > I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a hardware glitch?? But I haven't a
    > clue.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Morey
    >
    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Boot to safe mode (F8) and go to control panel>system
    >> properties>advanced>startup and recovery settings. Remove the check from
    >> automatically restart. Then report back with the blue screen info.
    >>

    >> "Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >> > Hello to all.
    >> > My daughter's D4300 (Win XP Home has just started going nuts. As of
    >> > yesterday, it froze up while she was online, then when she hit
    >> > Ctrl-Alt-Del, it went into a continuous reboot sequence. That's where
    > it
    >> > is
    >> > now. It gets up to the point where the splash screen says "Loading
    >> > personal
    >> > settings", then reboots, over and over and....
    >> > I can get into the BIOS, all looks OK, all the hardware, memory is
    >> > recognized, but it won't progress beyond that splash screen.
    >> > Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, when I get home
    >> > tonight I'm going to try a thorough cleaning and re-insertion of all
    > the
    >> > cards, etc.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance to all and best regards,
    >> > Morey G
    >> >
    >> > Dim 4300 P4 1.5GHz
    >> > 768MB RAM 20Gb HDD
    >> > Win XP Home
    >> > Sony CDRW
    >> > LiteOn DVD ROM
    >> > ATI 9700 AGP card

    Try F8 again and last known good configuration.

    > Try F8 again and last known good configuration.

    I smell a software issue brewing....

    Stew

    First, THANKS to everyone.
    Second, I'm still in reboot h*ll. I tried F8 last known good config, also
    tried replacing CMOS battery while I was in there blowing everythin out and
    cleaning and checking the cards and memory slots.
    When I tried the F8 routine, it showed a blue screen SO briefly
    (microseconds) I had no idea what the heck it said.
    I can get to the BIOS setup, everything looks normal, Windows startsd to
    load until "loading your personal settings"...then...reboot.
    I am stumped. I think Stew is sniffing in the right area!

    Morey

    > First, THANKS to everyone.
    > Second, I'm still in reboot h*ll. I tried F8 last known good config, also
    > tried replacing CMOS battery while I was in there blowing everythin out
    > and
    > cleaning and checking the cards and memory slots.
    > When I tried the F8 routine, it showed a blue screen SO briefly
    > (microseconds) I had no idea what the heck it said.
    > I can get to the BIOS setup, everything looks normal, Windows startsd to
    > load until "loading your personal settings"...then...reboot.
    > I am stumped. I think Stew is sniffing in the right area!
    >
    > Morey

    Morey,

    Right now would be a good time to have a second hard drive handy. That,
    especially if you've not backed up your stuff. At least you could install
    your OS on the second disk and drop and drag most anything you value.

    Short of that, you might be looking at a repair install of the OS and that's
    no guaranteed shot.

    (You could also run diagnostics on the system before running the
    repair....just for S&G and to verify no obvious failures.)

    Stew

    Stew,
    I don't mean to sound like a dummy, but how would I run the diagnostics?
    I think that might be my first step. If that fails, I will take your
    advice, install the OS to a second hard drive (with HD prices what they
    are, her 20Gb was almost full anyway).
    I'll keep you posted,
    Morey

    > Stew,
    > I don't mean to sound like a dummy, but how would I run the diagnostics?
    > I think that might be my first step. If that fails, I will take your
    > advice, install the OS to a second hard drive (with HD prices what they
    > are, her 20Gb was almost full anyway).
    > I'll keep you posted,
    > Morey

    Morey,

    Get into your system software CDs and look for the "Dell Dimension Resource
    CD". Go into BIOS and put the disc into the drive. It's a bootable disk.
    You may have to change the CDROM to your first boot device, or you might be
    able to press F12 at the Dell splash to get a 'boot menu' where you can
    manually choose to boot from the CD drive.

    Follow the prompts on the CD, it's pretty easy.

    Stew

    The other possibility would be to identify the manufacturer of the hard drive,
    download the manufacturer's diagnostic test software, and run the
    non-destructive tests. Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor (including Quantum),
    Fujitsu, Hitachi (including IBM) all have comprehensive easy-to-run diagnostics.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:10:43 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >"Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >> Stew,
    >> I don't mean to sound like a dummy, but how would I run the diagnostics?
    >> I think that might be my first step. If that fails, I will take your
    >> advice, install the OS to a second hard drive (with HD prices what they
    >> are, her 20Gb was almost full anyway).
    >> I'll keep you posted,
    >> Morey
    >

    >Morey,
    >
    >Get into your system software CDs and look for the "Dell Dimension Resource
    >CD". Go into BIOS and put the disc into the drive. It's a bootable disk.
    >You may have to change the CDROM to your first boot device, or you might be
    >able to press F12 at the Dell splash to get a 'boot menu' where you can
    >manually choose to boot from the CD drive.
    >
    >Follow the prompts on the CD, it's pretty easy.
    >
    >Stew

    When you say its "re booting" is it going back to the logon screen or
    is it completely reboooting? If it's going back to the log-on screen,
    the best thing you can do is to do windows xp repair reinstallation.
    That should fix the problem.
    It it is completely rebooting, try to go to BIOS and see if it stays
    there without re booting. If it stays there, run the HDD diags by
    pressing Ctrl+Alt+D at the DELL screen(press the combination only once
    or else you would get keyboard error). If the computer reboots in
    BIOS, it could be a hardware problem ( eg. Process fan / Heatsink
    problem ).

    You can also call Dell Technical Support(800 - 624 9896). They can
    help you identify the problem and fix it by sending parts. They may
    ask you to open computer if required. Hold time is less if you call at
    night or Early hours.

    Tim.

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<41661682.57312793@news.charter.net>...
    > The other possibility would be to identify the manufacturer of the hard drive,
    > download the manufacturer's diagnostic test software, and run the
    > non-destructive tests. Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor (including Quantum),
    > Fujitsu, Hitachi (including IBM) all have comprehensive easy-to-run diagnostics.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:10:43 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > >> Stew,
    > >> I don't mean to sound like a dummy, but how would I run the diagnostics?
    > >> I think that might be my first step. If that fails, I will take your
    > >> advice, install the OS to a second hard drive (with HD prices what they
    > >> are, her 20Gb was almost full anyway).
    > >> I'll keep you posted,
    > >> Morey
    > >

    > >Morey,
    > >
    > >Get into your system software CDs and look for the "Dell Dimension Resource
    > >CD". Go into BIOS and put the disc into the drive. It's a bootable disk.
    > >You may have to change the CDROM to your first boot device, or you might be
    > >able to press F12 at the Dell splash to get a 'boot menu' where you can
    > >manually choose to boot from the CD drive.
    > >
    > >Follow the prompts on the CD, it's pretty easy.
    > >
    > >Stew

    Tim,
    Thanks; I will try that now. I've been working late and haven't had a
    chance to mess with it.
    Yews, it IS completely rebooting. Monitor shuts off, Dell splash screen
    with "F2" & "F12" notices on the top right corner of the screen, the whole
    deal. From the BIOS, it's OK. I can access the BIOS screen with no
    problems, make changes ( I reset the date/time when I replaced the
    battery), but as soon as Win XP gets to that "Loading your personal
    settings screen", it reboots.
    I will post back with the results of the HD diags.
    Morey
    "tim" <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When you say its "re booting" is it going back to the logon screen or
    > is it completely reboooting? If it's going back to the log-on screen,
    > the best thing you can do is to do windows xp repair reinstallation.
    > That should fix the problem.
    > It it is completely rebooting, try to go to BIOS and see if it stays
    > there without re booting. If it stays there, run the HDD diags by
    > pressing Ctrl+Alt+D at the DELL screen(press the combination only once
    > or else you would get keyboard error). If the computer reboots in
    > BIOS, it could be a hardware problem ( eg. Process fan / Heatsink
    > problem ).
    >
    > You can also call Dell Technical Support(800 - 624 9896). They can
    > help you identify the problem and fix it by sending parts. They may
    > ask you to open computer if required. Hold time is less if you call at
    > night or Early hours.
    >
    > Tim.
    >
    > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    > > The other possibility would be to identify the manufacturer of the hard
    drive,
    > > download the manufacturer's diagnostic test software, and run the
    > > non-destructive tests. Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor (including
    Quantum),
    > > Fujitsu, Hitachi (including IBM) all have comprehensive easy-to-run
    diagnostics.

    > > ... Ben Myers
    > >
    > > On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:10:43 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > >Morey,
    > > >
    > > >Get into your system software CDs and look for the "Dell Dimension
    Resource
    > > >CD". Go into BIOS and put the disc into the drive. It's a bootable
    disk.
    > > >You may have to change the CDROM to your first boot device, or you
    might be
    > > >able to press F12 at the Dell splash to get a 'boot menu' where you
    can
    > > >manually choose to boot from the CD drive.
    > > >
    > > >Follow the prompts on the CD, it's pretty easy.
    > > >
    > > >Stew

    Tim,
    ran the HD diagnostics and it Passed. It identified the drive correctly on
    IDE 0 and also identified the other 2 drives (CDRW and DVD ROM on IDE 1.
    If I do a "repair" of XP, will I lose all of her documents?
    Thanks to all again, I really appreciate the time and advice from everyone.
    I'm thinking that I WILL fix it!

    Morey

    > Tim,
    > Thanks; I will try that now. I've been working late and haven't had a
    > chance to mess with it.
    > Yews, it IS completely rebooting. Monitor shuts off, Dell splash screen
    > with "F2" & "F12" notices on the top right corner of the screen, the
    whole
    > deal. From the BIOS, it's OK. I can access the BIOS screen with no
    > problems, make changes ( I reset the date/time when I replaced the
    > battery), but as soon as Win XP gets to that "Loading your personal
    > settings screen", it reboots.
    > I will post back with the results of the HD diags.
    > Morey
    > "tim" <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > When you say its "re booting" is it going back to the logon screen or
    > > is it completely reboooting? If it's going back to the log-on screen,
    > > the best thing you can do is to do windows xp repair reinstallation.
    > > That should fix the problem.
    > > It it is completely rebooting, try to go to BIOS and see if it stays
    > > there without re booting. If it stays there, run the HDD diags by
    > > pressing Ctrl+Alt+D at the DELL screen(press the combination only once
    > > or else you would get keyboard error). If the computer reboots in
    > > BIOS, it could be a hardware problem ( eg. Process fan / Heatsink
    > > problem ).
    > >
    > > You can also call Dell Technical Support(800 - 624 9896). They can
    > > help you identify the problem and fix it by sending parts. They may
    > > ask you to open computer if required. Hold time is less if you call at
    > > night or Early hours.
    > >
    > > Tim.
    > >
    > > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    > > > The other possibility would be to identify the manufacturer of the
    hard
    > drive,
    > > > download the manufacturer's diagnostic test software, and run the
    > > > non-destructive tests. Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor (including
    > Quantum),
    > > > Fujitsu, Hitachi (including IBM) all have comprehensive easy-to-run
    > diagnostics.
    > > >
    > > > ... Ben Myers
    > > >
    > > > On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:10:43 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>

    > diagnostics?
    > they

    > Resource
    > disk.
    > might be
    > can

    From what you describe, the problem would appear to be software, not hardware.

    A Windows XP repair will not overwrite her documents.

    If (and only if) she has been disciplined in organizing her documents, avoiding
    folders used by Windows, a Windows re-install over the existing Windows will not
    overwrite her documents. However, a reinstall of XP blows away the registry and
    builds a new one. In the process, access to any software application (i.e.
    virtually all software applications) that relies on the registry is made
    impossible. So after a re-install, all software would have to be reinstalled as
    well.

    Before doing a Windows XP repair, answer a question: Does the computer boot up
    successfully in safe mode (F5 or F8 when the computer boots)?? If so, it's
    worth some effort to run a complete anti-virus scan followed by running Spybot
    and Ad-Aware SE (both with latest updates) in the hope that a virus, spyware,
    malware, or some other badware is mucking up the system... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 02:04:48 GMT, "Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net>
    wrote:

    >Tim,
    >ran the HD diagnostics and it Passed. It identified the drive correctly on
    >IDE 0 and also identified the other 2 drives (CDRW and DVD ROM on IDE 1.
    >If I do a "repair" of XP, will I lose all of her documents?
    >Thanks to all again, I really appreciate the time and advice from everyone.
    >I'm thinking that I WILL fix it!
    >
    >Morey
    >

    >"Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >> Tim,
    >> Thanks; I will try that now. I've been working late and haven't had a
    >> chance to mess with it.
    >> Yews, it IS completely rebooting. Monitor shuts off, Dell splash screen
    >> with "F2" & "F12" notices on the top right corner of the screen, the
    >whole
    >> deal. From the BIOS, it's OK. I can access the BIOS screen with no
    >> problems, make changes ( I reset the date/time when I replaced the
    >> battery), but as soon as Win XP gets to that "Loading your personal
    >> settings screen", it reboots.
    >> I will post back with the results of the HD diags.
    >> Morey
    >> "tim" <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > When you say its "re booting" is it going back to the logon screen or
    >> > is it completely reboooting? If it's going back to the log-on screen,
    >> > the best thing you can do is to do windows xp repair reinstallation.
    >> > That should fix the problem.
    >> > It it is completely rebooting, try to go to BIOS and see if it stays
    >> > there without re booting. If it stays there, run the HDD diags by
    >> > pressing Ctrl+Alt+D at the DELL screen(press the combination only once
    >> > or else you would get keyboard error). If the computer reboots in
    >> > BIOS, it could be a hardware problem ( eg. Process fan / Heatsink
    >> > problem ).
    >> >
    >> > You can also call Dell Technical Support(800 - 624 9896). They can
    >> > help you identify the problem and fix it by sending parts. They may
    >> > ask you to open computer if required. Hold time is less if you call at
    >> > night or Early hours.
    >> >
    >> > Tim.
    >> >
    >> > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
    >hard
    >> drive,
    >> Quantum),
    >> diagnostics.

    >> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>

    >> diagnostics?
    >your
    >what
    >> they

    >> Resource
    >> disk.
    >> might be
    >> can

    Ben (& all),
    Update:
    First, I can not yet enter safe mode. It gets to the "Loading personal
    settings" screen AFTER the 4 "Safe Mode" messages on the corners of the
    screen, and reboots.

    She has kept all of her schoolwork in the "My Documents" folder and added
    subfolders as needed.

    Also, I followed Tim's advice, called Dell and they walked me through a
    couple of command sets from Recovery Console. One, was "copy userinit and
    wsa-something"; the others, "bootcfg /rebuild" which appears to have given
    me an option to load one of 2 OS's. winxp or Windows XP Home Edition. And
    then "chkdsk /r" which reported back that it had repaired the volume.
    Neither OS load progresses past that settings screen.
    As I said, the "blue screen" flashes quickly just before the restart. It
    does appear to be software.
    It gets to the point where I am now obsessive about fixing it! Re-install
    is the easy way out, but may be my only option.
    Morey
    (banging my head against the wall)

> [...]
    everyone.
    > >I'm thinking that I WILL fix it!
    > >
    > >Morey
    > >

    > >"Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > >> Tim,
    > >> Thanks; I will try that now. I've been working late and haven't had a
    > >> chance to mess with it.
    > >> Yews, it IS completely rebooting. Monitor shuts off, Dell splash
    screen
    > >> with "F2" & "F12" notices on the top right corner of the screen, the
    > >whole
    > >> deal. From the BIOS, it's OK. I can access the BIOS screen with no
    > >> problems, make changes ( I reset the date/time when I replaced the
    > >> battery), but as soon as Win XP gets to that "Loading your personal
    > >> settings screen", it reboots.
    > >> I will post back with the results of the HD diags.

    First try a repair reinstall. Follow this directions carefully and you
    won't lose any docs:

    > Ben (& all),
    > Update:
    > First, I can not yet enter safe mode. It gets to the "Loading personal
    > settings" screen AFTER the 4 "Safe Mode" messages on the corners of the
    > screen, and reboots.
    >
    > She has kept all of her schoolwork in the "My Documents" folder and added
    > subfolders as needed.
    >
    > Also, I followed Tim's advice, called Dell and they walked me through a
    > couple of command sets from Recovery Console. One, was "copy userinit and
    > wsa-something"; the others, "bootcfg /rebuild" which appears to have given
    > me an option to load one of 2 OS's. winxp or Windows XP Home Edition. And
    > then "chkdsk /r" which reported back that it had repaired the volume.
    > Neither OS load progresses past that settings screen.
    > As I said, the "blue screen" flashes quickly just before the restart. It
    > does appear to be software.
    > It gets to the point where I am now obsessive about fixing it! Re-install
    > is the easy way out, but may be my only option.
    > Morey
    > (banging my head against the wall)

    Morey
    To do XP repair reinstall you can the follow steps mentioned in the
    web site http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ( as
    mentioned in the previous post by WSZsr) .

    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 312369 titled "You May Lose Data
    or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading
    Windows XP" also has
    steps which can be performed to avoid data loss while doing XP repair.

    If you don't want to lose data at all, You can do XP parallel
    reinstall which is installing XP in a different folder other than the
    default "WINDOWS". I found this website
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdparallell/indexfullpage.htm
    which describes parallel reinstall of xp with screenshots.

    Tim.

    "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<TcK9d.3162$Al3.1228@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>...
    > First try a repair reinstall. Follow this directions carefully and you
    > won't lose any docs:

    > "Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > > Ben (& all),
    > > Update:
    > > First, I can not yet enter safe mode. It gets to the "Loading personal
    > > settings" screen AFTER the 4 "Safe Mode" messages on the corners of the
    > > screen, and reboots.
    > >
    > > She has kept all of her schoolwork in the "My Documents" folder and added
    > > subfolders as needed.
    > >
    > > Also, I followed Tim's advice, called Dell and they walked me through a
    > > couple of command sets from Recovery Console. One, was "copy userinit and
    > > wsa-something"; the others, "bootcfg /rebuild" which appears to have given
    > > me an option to load one of 2 OS's. winxp or Windows XP Home Edition. And
    > > then "chkdsk /r" which reported back that it had repaired the volume.
    > > Neither OS load progresses past that settings screen.
    > > As I said, the "blue screen" flashes quickly just before the restart. It
    > > does appear to be software.
    > > It gets to the point where I am now obsessive about fixing it! Re-install
    > > is the easy way out, but may be my only option.
    > > Morey
    > > (banging my head against the wall)

    THANKS FOR THAT WEB PAGE! (sorry for the CAPS, but as you may have guessed,
    I'm almost 100% back to where her PC was.!
    Hello again to all the helpers. UPDATE:
    I followed the first step in the instructions on the link that was on the
    website you provided. (A site by Charlie White). It instructed me to use the
    Recovery console and command line instructions to pick a snapshot registry
    restore point and copy it to the "c:\windows\system32\config" folders.
    I restored config\system; config\default; config\sam; config\security and
    config\default.\After I did this, I was asked to call MS and re-activate Win
    XP, I did this and it booted me to her old desktop where I did a restore
    point again (since the display driver was missing) and now I am at her
    desktop at the point of October 4th. (a good day I guess)
    HOORAY
    Anyway, I have one lingering issue that I would like to get rid of if I can.
    When the PC boots, it asks me which OS I want to start (a result of Dell
    tech support) "winxp" or "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition". The latter
    appears to be the repaired version since that gets me to where I am right
    now (running AD-AwareSE 1.05).
    How do I get rid of the other "winxp" entry?
    Thanks again VERY much and best regards
    > Morey
    > To do XP repair reinstall you can the follow steps mentioned in the
    > web site http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ( as
    > mentioned in the previous post by WSZsr) .
    >
    > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 312369 titled "You May Lose Data
    > or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading
    > Windows XP" also has
    > steps which can be performed to avoid data loss while doing XP repair.
    >
    > If you don't want to lose data at all, You can do XP parallel
    > reinstall which is installing XP in a different folder other than the
    > default "WINDOWS". I found this website

    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdparallell/indexfullpage.htm
    > which describes parallel reinstall of xp with screenshots.
    >
    > Tim.
    >

    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > First try a repair reinstall. Follow this directions carefully and you
    > > won't lose any docs:
    > >
    > > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    > >
    > > "Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > > > Ben (& all),
    > > > Update:
    > > > First, I can not yet enter safe mode. It gets to the "Loading personal
    > > > settings" screen AFTER the 4 "Safe Mode" messages on the corners of
    the
    > > > screen, and reboots.
    > > >
    > > > She has kept all of her schoolwork in the "My Documents" folder and
    added
    > > > subfolders as needed.
    > > >
    > > > Also, I followed Tim's advice, called Dell and they walked me through
    > > > couple of command sets from Recovery Console. One, was "copy userinit
    and
    > > > wsa-something"; the others, "bootcfg /rebuild" which appears to have
    given
    > > > me an option to load one of 2 OS's. winxp or Windows XP Home Edition.
    And
    > > > then "chkdsk /r" which reported back that it had repaired the volume.
    > > > Neither OS load progresses past that settings screen.
    > > > As I said, the "blue screen" flashes quickly just before the restart.
    It
    > > > does appear to be software.
    > > > It gets to the point where I am now obsessive about fixing it!
    Re-install
    > > > is the easy way out, but may be my only option.
    > > > Morey
    > > > (banging my head against the wall)

    I think that is rectified by running msconfig-->boot.ini and clicking on
    'check all boot paths'

    --
    David Nimon
    dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    --------------------------------
    "Morey G" <moreyag@nospamfrontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > Anyway, I have one lingering issue that I would like to get rid of if I
    > can.
    > When the PC boots, it asks me which OS I want to start (a result of Dell
    > tech support) "winxp" or "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition".

    David,
    Thanks for the suggestion. It is a valid boot path, I just wnat to remove it
    since it points to a version of the OS that is wrong .

    I'm not sure why it's there, as I said, it was created when the Dell tech
    support guy tried to help me get the PC up & running.
    I want to delete it but I don't know how.
    Thanks,
    Morey
    "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > I think that is rectified by running msconfig-->boot.ini and clicking on
    > 'check all boot paths'
    >
    > --
    > David Nimon
    > dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
    >
    > --------------------------------
    > "Morey G" <moreyag@nospamfrontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > > Anyway, I have one lingering issue that I would like to get rid of if I
    > > can.
    > > When the PC boots, it asks me which OS I want to start (a result of Dell
    > > tech support) "winxp" or "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition".

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:17:29 GMT, Morey G wrote in

    > David,
    > Thanks for the suggestion. It is a valid boot path, I just wnat to remove it
    > since it points to a version of the OS that is wrong .
    >
    > I'm not sure why it's there, as I said, it was created when the Dell tech
    > support guy tried to help me get the PC up & running.
    > I want to delete it but I don't know how.

    Let's see, you can buy a copy of Partition Magic 8 Pro. I think it's
    around $70 last time I looked. You delete the offending partition and then
    resize the hard drive to take up the extra space.

    Or you can do a clean install of Windows XP making sure to delete any and
    all partitions on the hard drive (except the small one if you'd like to
    keep the diagnostic stuff available on your hard drive) then create a
    single partition and install Windows XP on that.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Have you tried clicking on the button and rebooting?

    --
    David Nimon
    dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    --------------------------------
    "Morey G" <moreyag@nospamfrontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > David,
    > Thanks for the suggestion. It is a valid boot path, I just wnat to remove
    > it
    > since it points to a version of the OS that is wrong .

    Right click on 'my computer'/ click properties/advanced/ settings under
    'startup and recovery'. Set "time to display a list of operating systems"
    to zero. The menu will go away.

    You could also manually edit your boot.ini, but if done improperly, you
    really don't want to get into that boat....

    Stew

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:17:29 GMT, Morey G wrote in
    >
    >> David,
    >> Thanks for the suggestion. It is a valid boot path, I just wnat to remove
    >> it
    >> since it points to a version of the OS that is wrong .
    >>
    >> I'm not sure why it's there, as I said, it was created when the Dell tech
    >> support guy tried to help me get the PC up & running.
    >> I want to delete it but I don't know how.
    >
    > Let's see, you can buy a copy of Partition Magic 8 Pro. I think it's
    > around $70 last time I looked. You delete the offending partition and
    > then
    > resize the hard drive to take up the extra space.
    >
    > Or you can do a clean install of Windows XP making sure to delete any and
    > all partitions on the hard drive (except the small one if you'd like to
    > keep the diagnostic stuff available on your hard drive) then create a
    > single partition and install Windows XP on that.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:30:09 -0500, S.Lewis wrote in

    > Right click on 'my computer'/ click properties/advanced/ settings under
    > 'startup and recovery'. Set "time to display a list of operating systems"
    > to zero. The menu will go away.
    >
    > You could also manually edit your boot.ini, but if done improperly, you
    > really don't want to get into that boat....

    Ah, okay didn't know about that option. But I'd hate just leaving
    something messed up on my system and covering it over. Personally, I'd do
    a proper reinstall of Windows if I didn't happen to have Partition Magic 8.
    :-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Dell Splash Screen Windows XP Computers Product