G

i am going to build a computer for first time. AMD XP 1900
mobo: Soyo SY-K7VDragon+ 512mb of pc2100 DDR Dram,Swiftech MC370-0A heatsink and fan,64MB GeForce3 TI 500 video card,
2-40gb ATA100 7200rpm harddrives,DVD, and CDRW. i plan on running windows xp. the research that i have done suggests
that this will be a nice system. my question is: is there anything wrong with any componets that i plan on using?
2 part: does anyone have a system like this with any problems? all advice will be appreciated:)

G

thank you for your reply. i have one western digital harddrive already. should the second harddrive be WD,
or will it matter? please excuse my mistakes, for i am new to computers, and posting. thanks again.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Have had a Maxtor. It crashed.
Have heard good things about some model of IBM DD.
If a search is done for "ibm" in the "hard disk" section it will pop up. Yes, just a second opinion, not more than that.
Here is one post to look at: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=9" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=9</A>

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pike on 01/01/02 09:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have mixed and matched different brands (specifically WD and Maxtor) in the same system without any problems. As far as reliability, all hard drives will eventually crash, it is the nature of the beast. I have had good warranty exchange services from both WD and Maxtor.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
My poor maxtor 850 meg. It started with bad sectors. Then win not recognising it. Then the fatal day came, it started knocking and pingging like popcorn or something, than: "drice C error" or some damn message. Had it less than 3 years. That's not long enough. I miss my old 850 meg.
Damn thing was $300 at the time bla bla bla ...

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Mix matching Hard drives has no effect at all really. It is only more important when you are using a RAID array.

The system looks great from here :eek:) Should fly ! Although if I were you I would wait till the 2000+ is out as it should cause a drop in price of the 1900+
I don't have any experiance with the board and I have not heard about conflicts from anyone so I cannot say if there will be problems or not.

I am Homer of Borg ! Prepare to be... MMMhhhhh Doughnuts

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I'm a bit suspicious about drives with very low Disk Access times, such as the new Maxtor D740X. From what I've heard the drive is extraodinary noisy during seek, a clear sign of a tight head positioning control loop. In the long run this is no good for durability. Go for a Seagate Barracuda IV, it's the most silent 7200 RPM drive, also during seek, and this indicates a high mechanical/electrical margin.

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have it less the 3 years then it should still be under warranty. Go to the Maxtor site, enter the drive serial number, and get an RMA.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>