ATT: LHGpoobaa, Or anyone else who's interested.

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Short background....

My friend has a PIII 550 with an AOpen AX6 BC (intel 440BX chipset), 8mb intel graphics card, 12mb voodoo2 accelerator, sb live (and surround sound... takes up 2 pci slots), network card, scsi card, dvd-rom, ricoh burner.

He's been running windows 2000 for a while now and will get random lockups. The only way to get out of them is to hit the reset button. Other times he'll get the creative launcher application die and he'll have to manually end it before he can continue doing anything else. He's tried doing fresh installs and the same stuff happens all over again. I'm thinking its either a PSU problem (seeing as all his PCI slots are in use) or an overheating problem seeing as there is not much ventilation in the case and the room can get reasonably warm. Do you guys know if this particular psu will be able to handle all of the above hardware?
MCM Power supply:

+5v 22.0
-5v 0.5
+12v 6.0
-12v 0.8
+3.3v 14.0
+5sb 0.6

Thanks for all your help lads.....

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xazos79 on 01/04/02 08:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I'm not sure, but for a while I was running an AMD Athlon 650 Classic (Slot A) on a 250W PSU of the follwing spec:

+3.3v @ 12A
+5v @ 20A
+12v @ 9A
-5v @ 0.5A
-12v @ 0.8A
+5VSB @ 1A

With 2HDDs, 1 DVD, 1 CDRW, SCSI card, SB Live, DXR3 DVD Decoder, WinTV PVR, NIC and a GeForce256DDR. Trust me this graphics card probably takes more power than the Voodoo2 and the Intel card put together.

No problems with the power there.

So, I don't know but you're problems may not lie with power. Check the IRQs and other resources. See if ACPI is enabled in Win2K. If it is, then Windows usually asigns IRQ9 to everything except for the Disk Controllers.

<font color=red><i>99% of statistics are made up!</i></font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
.6A on the 5V rail is most likely the problem. Look for a PSU with at least a full amp, preferably more. The SCSI drives are sucking up your 5V.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>