Low disk on local drive C:

tedro

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
Just built new system and installed XP from scratch.Currently have local drive C: size @3gb and H: size @77gb. C: is now @150 mb available. Some applications giving out of memory error. I have removed any programs not needed from C: Tried to extend C: with Diskpart but XP won't allow. Where do I go from here??

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Start over. Make C: big enough for your OS, all your programs + 1 gig.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
If you do not have a free partition after your c: drive (usually d:) which you can merge to your c: drive you are doomed, you have to start over with a bigger c:.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
... or not use partitions. I see no reason for them. They are useless for backups since they are on the same physical drive, and for organization it makes more sense to create a folder rather than a partition. That way you don't ever have to worry about running out of space on one while the other has plenty. Many will disagree with me, but they are all wrong, and they are all evil! :p

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That makes sense, but the only reason why I keep two partitions is just in case an overclocking attempt fux0rs windows beyond repair, I get a virus, or I tweak something and it messes windows up resulting in me having to reformat, I don't lose all my data.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Partitions are not absolutly necessary but very usefull, and sometimes unevitable (i.e. dual booting). Here is how I use my partions: one is for win98, one for winXP and one holds the image of my winXP partition, so I can get a clean system in less than 10 minutes, instead of going through the pain of setting up XP the way I like it.

The third one is actually there to get Linux on, but I did not have time to install it.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Wow, I didn't expect so much agreement. :) Only one thing I'll disagree on with Silverpig... a virus on one partition would likely infect all partitions. At least the type of virus to worry about would.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --