CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
i believe a while back at a computer convention they clocked a p4 all the way up to 3.5ghz. so overclocking this badboy all the way upto 3ghz isn't anything new but the benchmarks are nice. even though i'd expect double the 1800+ results in all of these test since the clock is almost doubled, i still rather get more bang for mi buck!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.amddiyoc.com/adol/3g/3000GHZ.htm" target="_new">http://www.amddiyoc.com/adol/3g/3000GHZ.htm</A>
They were playing with the multiplier though so I guess no one could buy these.
Running a 2.2GHz processor at 3GHz is approximately a 36.4% overclock. An overclock up to a 533MHz System Bus, using a 133MHz external clock, would be a 33.3% overclock. If a 36.4% overclock is possible, so is 33.3%. The latter would also allow your buses to remain within specifications and allow a possible PC1066 memory overclock if you chose to attempt it.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

aarona

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
When you say PC1066 I assume your talking RDRAM. So do you think that should give better results then these DDR benches show?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
DDR SDRAM solutions are targetted for the lower price points. RDRAM solutions are targetted for the performance price points. Thusfar no DDR solution has been able to achieve the memory bandwidth provided by PC800 RDRAM. The move to PC1066 RDRAM will come soon (right now for those of you wishing to attempt an overclock), at which point the performance gap will only widen.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
PC2700 DDR SDRAM only offers 2.7GB/s of memory bandwidth. The i850's PC800 RDRAM solution offers 3.2GB/s of memory bandwidth to fully use the 3.2GB/s System Bus (FSB) bandwidth on the Pentium 4. The RDRAM solution offers over 18.5% more memory bandwidth at those speeds.

PC1066 RDRAM offers 4.2GB/s of memory bandwidth and less latency than DDR SDRAM. It is here now for those who overclock and will be officially released within a few months. I do not foresee PC4200 DDR SDRAM any time in the near future. The gap between DDR SDRAM and RDRAM is just going to keep increasing.

-Raystonn

aarona

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
Thanks for your insight. I know I will update my PIII system later this year. The tough part is how long to wait.

Edit note: The link I gave is of a PC2700 DDR machine although it is heavily overclocked, so it's out now but the PC1066 RDRAM isn't.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by aarona on 01/02/02 10:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You are welcome. There will always be something else "right around the corner" in the technology field. If you wait forever you will never have anything. :)

There will be a great number of new reviews, benchmarks, etc. this month. Take a look at these and give thought to making a purchase when you feel you need it rather than waiting for the "next best thing."

-Raystonn

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
I don't know if you guys noticed this, but in thae WCPUID picture on the website, it says 'L2 Cache: 512k L2 Speed: Full'.

That means Northwood, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I've got a ~30% overclock on my computer with a stock heatsink (no fan). Granted, I've got a P166MMX (@ 233), but it's okay, it was the last Intel I owned :).

Just some info for you guys...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Prove it ray, I want to see some links saying that pc1066 has lower latency than ddrram.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Its funny how Raystonn talks about RAMBUS superior bandwidth...but never mentions that the P4 can never fully utilize the bandwidth because its spends so much time spinning its wheels with branch prediction misses.

G

<A HREF="http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q4/p4-chipsets/index.x?pg=1" target="_new">The Tech Report</A>'s P4 DDR chipset comparison would be a good place to look. Their latency test placed RDRAM last after all the (SDR and DDR) SDRAM chipsets. And in the other benchmarks, RDRAM almost always was not the fastest chipset... the VIA and SiS DDR solutions usually alternated as fastest.

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
This pretty much shows the overclocking potential in the Northwood core combined with highly efficient, yes, but still conventional air cooling (Swiftech MCX-462 for Socket478 w/Delta FFB0812EHE Fan). This will take an affordable P4 2.0GHz Northwood to 2.67 GHz / 533MHz RDRAM system bus, if the FSB is bumped to 133Mhz. With a good overclockers board like the Abit TH7-II, this should be within reach.

Will most likely be enough to outgun an Athlon XP2000+ overclocked to the edge, corresponding to XP2200+ rating, in most applications, and at a lower price.

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

aarona

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
The picture is getting clearer. I have a question on the memory though. Will the future release of PC1066 have any advantage over the current PC800 overclocked to 533mhz?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The picture is getting clearer. I have a question on the memory though. Will the future release of PC1066 have any advantage over the current PC800 overclocked to 533mhz?
If you overclock Samsung PC800 RDRAM to PC1066 then it will functioning exactly the same as it would in the future release (with the sole exception that the future release would obviously be under warranty.)

-Raystonn

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Well it seems that Northwood and PC1066 are gonna put Intel is the clear lead.. it may not be debatable who is winning anymore.. People will have to admit Intel is winning... it's gonna be weird.. I simplified marketplace (for a time) where you actually get-what-you-pay-for...

wanna cop a outlandish premium for massive benchmark scores and FPS- go Intel..
satisfied with cheaper solutions (that easily cope in real world) - go AMD..

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
i don't have answers but my predictions.
1- (1.8A NW) - doubt it.. they'd have to sell to cheap to get buyers.
2- P3 vx. P3-S - I don't think they want to produce any P3s anymore.. that's why Tualatin's have such mammoth prices attached.
3- Raystonn can ahve what ever he wants I expect.. and I guess he's hit 2.8GHz (this is a pure unadulterated guess)

happy answer finding.

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?

aarona

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
http://www.piopioshardware.bizland.com/

This site posts a wcpuid of an overclocked 1.8 NW. Also a 2.2 doing 3.15Ghz. Will all three speeds (1.8, 2.0, 2.2) be released at once?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Waiting for latency proof links rayy,last I heard rdrams latency is piss poor, and the benifit it garners from higher clock speeds is in no way enough to counter the low latencies of ddr.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

eden

Champion
Hey Mat PC3000 DDR just came out at my local shop, just wanted to let you know on the DDR-RDRAM war here. It runs at 366MHZ. I am hoping to see new mobos supporting it, including AMD directing their path to this new DDR, which is so damn affordable, that it costs only 149$ CDN, about 30$ more than PC2100!!
However the jumps that RDRAM does in its new speeds are big, so I dunno if that new DDR will still be enough. In any case, once they do QDR that'll be different.
As to Juin, yes NW will be the fastest, and it was anyway since day one, but not the most performant! May I direct you to that french link to a site that benchmarked a 1.5GHZ NW underclocked, against a 1.5GHZ Willamette and an AXP 1700-1800 (they cannot put 1.5GHZ due to multiplier) and see how the AXP tramples both CPUs hands-down, so enjoy your current victory, as AMD will come back soon!

BTW I still think Intel coulda done something to compensate for this low IPC of its P4. Sure a longer pipeline may do that, but look at the Hammer's speccs and see how with even a longer pipeline, AMD was smart enough to work on it and actually drastically increase IPC!
IMO AMD is working harder than Intel on this one guys. I have my money placed on the Desktop Hammer rather than any P4 in the next years.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...