Advice for processors

Freeway

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
I am currently starting my first home built system. I've chosen a mobo that suits my needs and would appreciate any input on what else to include/exclude. As far as a cpu I'm still undecided and i have some time to consider options.

Giga Byte GA 7DXR+
CPU= ?
Memory= DDR (type dependant on cpu fsb)
HD= seagate 7200rpm 30 gig (model not chosen yet)
Vid card= ATI radeon 8500
Sound= integrated on vid card

This machine is being built to handle my video and music needs. Stability is the main factor I'm looking for. Once again any input will be appreciated.

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
get a athlon xp :) whatever speed you want you'll get the most bang for thy buck. well actually the xp1600+ gives ya the most bang for theee buck according to tom

more bang for thy buck gives me better benches then matisaro ;)

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Your motherboard choice limits you to an AMD processor. The best they have to offer is a 1.6GHz Athlon XP (the 1900+ model). You will need to be careful when assembling the system to ensure the heatsink is in proper contact with the processor or you could permanently damage the processor when it is powered on. The processor itself contains no thermal shutoff system on overheating. It relies on the motherboard to do it using the temperature diode on the CPU to monitor the heat. Thusfar I have not seen any motherboards that support this feature so be extra careful.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
actually some site was selling the axp2000+ (oem) now ima have to search for that site but it was quite pricy, around $360

more bang for thy buck gives me better benches then matisaro ;)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Your motherboard choice limits you to an AMD processor. The best they have to offer is a 1.6GHz Athlon XP (the 1900+ model). You will need to be careful when assembling the system to ensure the heatsink is in proper contact with the processor or you could permanently damage the processor when it is powered on. The processor itself contains no thermal shutoff system on overheating. It relies on the motherboard to do it using the temperature diode on the CPU to monitor the heat. Thusfar I have not seen any motherboards that support this feature so be extra careful.

LoL, ray, you sound like an intel commercial again.

To the main poster. Put the heatsink on right, if you dont its your fault, the chip may fry if its installed inproperly, a car may fall appart if the bolts arent put in properly. If done right, there is no chance of processor damage on an axp or p4.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Agh! He makes it sound like it's rocket science when I did it without problems in 2 minutes flat!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Its his nice way of saying amd is [-peep-], buy intel. At least its more tolerable than intel inside and meltdumbass.

Freeway

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
yeah ive done my homework and seen the video here. I'll get that heatsink on there if i have to weld it on lol. So noone recomends the duron 1200 for better stability and a larger cache ?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Why would a Duron be more stable? And it has a smaller cache, last time I checked.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Matisaro wrote:
<i>LoL, ray, you sound like an intel commercial again.</i>

What did you expect ? The guy works for Intel and his future paycheck could be influenced by how well the Intel CPU's are doing. Other than that, I think he giving some good advice; a lot of people (you would probably call them something like "morons") have had some unpleasent experience with AMD's missing thermal protection. The main poster could be such a moron (I would say un-experienced at most), so better be safe than sorry.

Matisaro wrote:
<i>a car may fall appart if the bolts arent put in properly.</i>

Yes true, but on cars from certain car-makers, this is happening right of the factory!

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

Freeway

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
I'd like to thank you guys for the advice. And yes when it comes to computers I am "un-experienced", whatever the hell that means :) Unfortunately I don't work in the computer business, it's merely a hobby for me. Fatburger thx for correcting me there, the place i originally saw a post about the durons listed its cache incorrectly.

As an afterthought; has anyone here had any experiance with this motherboard? If so, are there any quirks i should watch for? Any unlisted incompatabilities? etc....?

FatBurger

Illustrious
A friend of mine has it, and practically swears by it. He would never have bought it, he got it from the XPP Tour. Now he's at the point where he'd have sex with the board if he could. The only incompatabilities are the normal ones with the Via 686b Southbridge.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Yep. Raystonn, in my book, handles himself as a professional. If he was not favorable towards Intel he
should not work for them. But, he also does not blast AMD. I have the best of both worlds. I own an AMD
and INTEL system.

Thanks for your info Ray.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yes true, but on cars from certain car-makers, this is happening right of the factory!

Please explain, how you can equate users IMPROPERLY installing THEIR own heatsinks, with cars coming out of the factory defective?
The analogy is flawwed. If you consider yourself to be such a moron as to not be able to follow heatsink instructions properly, by all means, buy intel.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Please explain, how you can equate users IMPROPERLY installing THEIR own heatsinks, with cars coming out of the factory defective?
The analogy is flawwed. If you consider yourself to be such a moron as to not be able to follow heatsink instructions properly, by all means, buy intel.
I am sorry that you cannot seem to see that people can and do make mistakes. I am sure that you do not mean that one mistake should cost them their CPU, but it sure sounds like this is what you are saying. Please clarify.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>Please explain, how you can equate users IMPROPERLY installing THEIR own heatsinks, with cars coming out of the factory defective?
The analogy is flawwed. If you consider yourself to be such a moron as to not be able to follow heatsink instructions properly, by all means, buy intel.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I never made that comparison. I merely compared car-makers delivering defective cars with AMD offering CPU's without built-in thermal protection to its innocent customers, who are unaware of the consequences that might have on "The Cash In Their Pockets".

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700MHz@2109 MHz, Vcore 1.75V@2.20V on Abit TH7II-RAID.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I am saying this.

Amd chips do not come out of the factory defective, through a users MISTAKE, they can fry if improperly installed. This is not amds fault.

I am further stating this, installing a heatsink is not difficult, there are several illustrated step by step instructions in most mobo manuals and in the retail cpu box for amd/intel. If a user cannot follow pictures to properly install his heatsink, the burn up is HIS/HER fault, NOT amd.

If you think thats unfair, thats fine, but life isnt fair, and if you do things properly and follow directions your cpu will NOT fry.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A defective car is NOTHING like an amd cpu not having thermal protection.

If a car maker offers you a broken car, that is his bad, a mistake, and is illegal.

AMD's cpus do not have on die thermal protection, missing a feature(last I checked) is not a defect. All cpus up untill the p3 didnt have any thermal protection, are they all defective as well?

You are confusing missing features with defects with features.

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>All cpus up untill the p3 didnt have any thermal protection, are they all defective as well?<p><hr></blockquote><p>No, but at that time thermal protection was not necessary to prevent a CPU from frying.

<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p> You are confusing missing features with defects with features.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I would consider a missing engine revolution limiter on a modern car as a defect and this is essentially what AMD is delivering at the moment.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
No, but at that time thermal protection was not necessary to prevent a CPU from frying.

If you think you can run a p2 without a heatsink and have it not fry you are mistaken.

So your first point is invalid, unless you wish to claim all processors are defective.

I would consider a missing engine revolution limiter on a modern car as a defect and this is essentially what AMD is delivering at the moment.

The thermal protection is not a vital part of a cpu, to think otherwise is your oppinion, there hasnt been any thermal protection in any cpu untill recently, and they could fry long before they implemented thermal protection.

AMD's not having on die thermal protection is a missing feature, I agree, but it is FAR from a defect.

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>If you think you can run a p2 without a heatsink and have it not fry you are mistaken.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I never claimed it would run, I'm just saying that it wont burn in a matter of seconds. I really haven't tried it myself, but I've never heard about it being a problem until recently with the introduction of the AMD Athlon and its successors.

<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>The thermal protection is not a vital part of a cpu, <p><hr></blockquote><p>Well, I'm sure that people that have experienced the consequences of missing thermal protection, would disagree with you.

Freeway

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
OK nuts i didn't start this thread for a flame war! I simply asked what proccesor you would recomend for that board. Move along folks nothing to see here lol