Most interesting marketing department

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
What do we all think about the marketing dept's of AMD and Intel.

Intel was interesting, wanting to get a higher MHz, so they took a performance hit to secure the 2GHz rating.. but they possibly could have gone real slow in the interests of hitting 3GHz instead.. lucky they stopped.. I guess they wanted the P4 to at least beat the P3 on average.

But then AMD, having little marketing hype themselves, stole some from M$ (XP) and tried to follow P4 with a strange pure marketing strategy of PR, whatever that stands for again.

so the point to all this.
If you were going to work for a marketing dept.. which one?? Are they beyond help?? what would you do differently??

Matisaro and Raystonn - umm... perhaps try and stay objective.. hehe

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?

MaDnEsS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
Why doesnt Athlon run commercials!!?? I see a huge Gorilla runnin around jumpin up and down on little gray spacemen.. then grunting, " Ahlon AMD.. mo betta! "
Just a thought..

garett

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
i think that a marketing department is going to have to work with what they have at hand.

intel is widely known as being the top dog and the fastest and the best quality. now whether thats true or not is up for a different debate entirely, im just saying thats what the masses know them as. therefore its a brilliant idea for them to dump out a junk chip that appears like it would be fast. 2ghz.

amd.. lets face it, although they have absorbed more market share, they simply still are not known. they had to react to intels actions to keep from looking like they are falling behind.

i do think amd should advertise a bit. who knows though, maybe they dont have the budget for it.

vader1882

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
amds department because I can surf the web all day

Oh aye its guaranteed, but I'm not too sure about the stuff inside. - Scotty

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The best thing the Intel Marketing came up with is "Intel inside". That is what the masses know. They go to buy a computer and say I want a computer that says "intel inside". They don't know what an intel is or what it does inside.

<font color=red><i>99% of statistics are made up!</i></font color=red>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
AMD HAVEN'T GOT THE MONEY TO PRODUCE COMERCERCIALS.

They might have the money to show commercials on local TV stations but national or global adverts are out the question ! Most companies get PR companys to sort out all the brand image, marketing ideas, customer focus etc etc...and charge lots for it.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
lol to the guys who have a fettish for doing nothing all day.

HolyGrenade - I agree.. everyone knows that Intel Inside is "GOOD".
unfortunately know one knows that AMD inside can be better and costs less.

Maybe AMD needs to invest in some minions that go around debasing Intel and hyping up the AXP products. Like Intel has Intel_Inside.

OK next question (am I heading somewhere??) - What would you do if you headed up AMD or Intel's Mkt. Dept. ??

AMD is doing everything right to hold Intel off if only they can get in the race. Something needs to happen to get them some massive publicity. Once your considered by the masses to be an equal player then staying up there is ten times easier and Intel might have to stop playing price games and provide REAL competition.

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?

eden

Champion
Hmm... Mafia anyone?
Maybe Fat Tony can run the city AMD-style! (Like in the Simpsons with the pretzel franchise...lol)

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
<middle of street.. stops anyone passing by..>
"Hey you.. you wanna buy a computer that gots a big *AMD* BCU or you want I should rip your brains out!?!? <pause> Take ya time buddy.. I got alllll day"

OR

<walks into middle of mall and yells ...>
"OK, I got 50,000 AMD computers here... I sees anyone who still 'asn't got one when I count ta 10 ... well let's just say you'll glad when it's over."

You know, this is not as absolutely insane as it sounds... well, no - it is!!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD doesnt doas much marketing as Intel does, probably thats why they have cheaper CPUs.

These intel is doing an interesting campaign!

They make the P4, running at dizziest speeds one could have imagined, uses the expensive RDRAM and slap loads of commercials on the customer.
What they really mean is:
<font color=red>It is not necessary to improve the performance by increasing the raw MHz speed of the processor, thats what we have done with the P4!</font color=red>

then they make the i845 for SDRAM say:
<font color=red>We can screw up the performance of the processor <i>even after</i> increasing the MHz</font color=red>

now they will make the i845G with integrated graphics and say:
<font color=red> Look, how good we are at that, MHz increases, performance decreases!</font color=red>

Sometime ago, almost everybody thought that performance is in direct proportion to MHz. Intel proved them wrong!

I guess AMD needs a better marketing department, I would go to them.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>