THG staff or virus

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Celeron
  • Virus
  • Monitors
Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2002 12:47:49 PM

either THG staff was sleepy or i have virus in my monitor that showing celeron 1300 beats P4 and AXP1500+ in about 4 benchamrks, i can not imagine that.

check that at THG cpu guide and tell me what is your feeling.

wish if there was UnDo in the life

More about : thg staff virus

January 3, 2002 1:16:49 PM

Well, don't forget the Celeron 1.3GHz runs at the same frequency as the AXP, has a full high-speed 256KB cache and is based on the Tully core! It's only handicap is the 100MHz bus!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 3, 2002 4:42:24 PM

considering a PIII 700 can outperform a P4 1.8 in strictly FPU performance, I don't find it surprising the Celeron 1300 can beat a P4 in some apps...

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
Related resources
January 3, 2002 4:52:56 PM

i think the low L1 cash of P4 made its performance low, what do you think?

and why P4's FPU is slow? interesting

wish if there was UnDo in the life
January 3, 2002 8:13:48 PM

Then I'm not crazy...

Something must be wrong there bub, cuz the AXP is far superior than a Tually, leave that be a Celeron too. Something is REALLY wrong because last time I checked, an AXP is far in gap compared to a Celly, including any MP3 encoding, which suprises me a lot.

Oh and why P4 weak you ask? There are tons of answers we can dig up that have yet to be fixed in the Northwood.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
January 3, 2002 8:17:53 PM

Quote:

Something must be wrong there bub, cuz the AXP is far superior than a Tually, leave that be a Celeron too. Something is REALLY wrong because last time I checked, an AXP is far in gap compared to a Celly, including any MP3 encoding, which suprises me a lot.

Nothing is wrong. The AXP is not far superior! Remember the only advantages the AXP has in these tests are bandwidth and bus speed and FPU! That's why it's winning in most tests. However, the Tully has a superior L2 cache design, which is why it wins a couple of benchmarks.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 3, 2002 8:28:35 PM

It's because of the handicaps of the FSB and Intel's lack of support for the Socket 370 that the Celeron is the looser to ther Duron in the value chip market. They do trade blow for blow in some of the tests, and the Celeron and the Duron do suprise at times, but, because the Duron can ride the coat-tails of the Athlon XP, it has a clear advantage. That is what the summary at the end nicely sums up.

Interesting though, the Tully, if they could push it and didn't cap it, might be able to outperform a P4 at the speeds they are finaly getting it to.

It's not suprising that a Tully outperforms a Palomino, as the Palomino is only a slightly tweeked t-bird core with SSE instructions on it. The Tully did some major changes to the architecture.

Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'
Get them posts a goin'
My fingers are swullen
Rawhide!
January 4, 2002 9:00:16 AM

Clock per clock the axp does more ipc in general, I think he means that those specific benchmarks stand out, because the 1500+ is whomping the celly in everything else.

I think he believes that particular test should be redone.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 4, 2002 9:02:46 AM

The tually is the exact same archetecture as the p3, only on a .13micron process, clock for clock it offers the same performance as a p3.( a 1ghz tually would score about the same as a 1ghz p3).

The big improvement over the tbird in the palomino is besides sse, HARDWARE PREFETCH. This is a signifigant design difference and accounts (according to some articles I have read) for as much as 50% of the performance gain of the palomino.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 4, 2002 11:07:33 AM

No, please don't put words in my mouth! I mean the Celeron has a superior cache design which is why it wins a couple of benchmarks.

!