Upgrade time: P4 1.8ghz or AMD XP1900? (Stability)

richklein

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
Hi,
I have been debating on if I should go AMD or Intel for my next upgrade. Saturday is the day so I gotta figure it out kinda quick.
I have been bouncing back & forth between the two companies. I have only had Intel processors but am willing to give either a try I guess.

I am leaning more towards the Intel for stability, heat, & comfortability.

I plan to overclock down the line but my main intention is to have a stable system that I tweak once (well ya know) it it runs perfectly.

I really dont care much about benchmarks & I also could care less if one processor or the other gives me an extra 30 FPS in Q3.

If I do Intel it would be with the Asus P4T-E (478 socket).

If I did AMD it would be with the A7A266-E.

I am not going to be using Raid either way currently.

Any ideas on what I should do? Money isnt the issue at all here both are affordable.

My current system is a P933 so either upgrade will be good for me.

Thanks for any advice,

Rich

dhlucke

Polypheme
Let me get this straight. Performance means nothing to you?! I'm gonna assume that's not really the case since you are here.

If all you want is a system that you can fiddle with and have sitting on your desk, then just buy the cheapest one amd buy a nice chair so that you're "comfortable".

As far as heat issues, both systems run hot. Just get a good HSF and install it correctly.

If you're curious about specific motherboards, try that section. As far as stability, it has nothing to do with the CPU, only the motherboard.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

richklein

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
Hi, I didnt mean to say that performance means nothing to me, I just meant an extra couple of frames isnt to important to me (150 FPS vs 170 FPS).

I am kinda trying to decide between the pros & cons of AMD or Intel for an upgrade. Not really which Mobo to get.

I was at a computer show last month & almost picked up a XP processor & didnt cause of a few tax issues.

A month later I am ready to buy & was convinced to go for an Intel processor & now I am having second thoughts about what to do.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i wouldn't recommend the athlon xp <b>IF</b> you're planning on overclocking.
if you are...get a P4...if not then get the athlon xp

<i>maybe i should have check to see if my sentences make sense</i>

:mad: <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pr497 on 01/04/02 01:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
That has to do with the videocard though for the most part. Buy a good videocard. Then just make sure you don't bottleneck your performance with a processor that is too slow. It doesn't sound like you will though so nevermind that comment.

As for the AMD vs Intel issue I don't feel like starting a flame war, but I would go for AMD hands down. Once the P4 Northwood is released I might change my mind, but I'm not impressed by the current P4. At least the price gap is less now though. For a while it was ridiculous. I believe the Northwood is going to be released on Monday so read those reviews and enjoy the pricecuts no matter which way you go. I would make my decision then. They're pretty much neck and neck, but AMD has an edge. See if the Northwood will change that.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
The choice is obvious, go for intel. It's possible to create a stable amd system but it will take alot more effort and if you want to see how often people have problems with amd setups, just browse through this board. As for comfortability I am not sure what you mean, but if you want to be comfortable that your processor won't melt when you make a mistake installing your heatsink, don't get an XP chip.

<i>The devil's advocate</i>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I kind of screwed up. You were comparing a P4 1.8 Ghz with the XP 1900. They aren't neck and neck in that case. Check <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q4/011105/xp1900-12.html" target="_new">Tom's review</A>. The 2Ghz P4 is neck and neck, but that will cost you a bit more. Like I said, wait for the northwood, the pricecuts, and then make a decision.

dhlucke

Polypheme
If you have any hand-eye cordination whatsoever and can read then you're in good shape to build either system. Intel_inside makes it out to be rocketscience, but it's not. Nothing will explode, melt, or kill you or the system if you follow some very basic rules.

1. Here is an excellent link for HSF reviews: <A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm" target="_new">http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm</A> Buy a good one that is rated for the CPU you buy. Install it using arctic silver II thermal paste.

2. Check with Intel or AMD for a recommended powersupply. Don't buy generic unless you're positive that the rails can support enough juice.

3. Buy good quality memory. I'll recommend <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/" target="_new">crucial</A>. No generic memory.

4. Buy a well ventilated case. This is more to elimate noise and since it's what you're looking at and working in you might as well buy one that is roomy and has no sharp edges.

5. Buy the best motherboard out there. Read the reviews. Price doesn't mean a thing in this case. I bought a $60 motherboard that can hold it's own with a $140 one. There are better out now though. Spend the most time researching the motherboard.

6. Finally, don't do drugs or drink before building the machine. This will conflict with the before mentioned hand-eye cordination. This is where Intel_inside runs into problems.

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
wow only 5 long extra steps required to get an amd system up to intel's stability standards!

as for my alchohol or drug use, no comment there

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Intel_inside makes it out to be rocketscience, but it's not. Nothing will explode, melt, or kill you or the system if you follow some very basic rules

Reading is rocket science to intel_inside.

Ignore his post, he is a mindless troll, both systems are completely stable, both are fast(the 1900+ is much faster however.)

Buy the cheapest one.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I'm sure you will be the first person to claim richklein is a troll when he comes in here asking why he is having problems with his (cheaper) amd system.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
LoL, only people like you, with mindless flames and empty points, do I confer troll status upon.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, I owned both systems, but for the last 3 years I only purchased AMD systems for my personnal use. I'm aware that generaly speaking, when you buy an Intel system, you just put all things together and it works well at the first try. I think it takes a little more computer knowledge to have a stable AMD system (generaly again). As a network administrator, I think I have a little more computer knowledge than the average user so I'm very pleased with my last systems. But I have to admit that all of my friends and familly members who bought AMD systems need my help when it comes to reinstall that thing. For me, it worth the money I save.

I just want to say that it is really possible to have an AMD system as stable as any other Intel system, you just have to do a little more research for hardware compatibility and for the right drivers. The only thing that make me nervous at each time is to put that HFS thing on my processor :) But if you read carefully and do it right you should have no problem.

Hope that helps!

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

eden

Champion
As far as performance, omitting the video card for now, the XP 1900 is a far better choice in both money and performance. Nothing from the P4 can surpass it, especially the current P4, since it has many problems, including occasional slowdowns due to long pipeline and prediction mistakes. Yes however overclocking the AXP seems to be a problem, but its performance is already surprising and I don't think you'd wanna play with it!
As for mobo, what you were talking about is the A7V-E not A7A unless there is one. May I suggest the Epox EP-8KHA+? Look at the reviews and benchmarks, it is far the best and saves you money from the Asus one. But you can't go wrong with Asus, you will always be satisfied with their quality products.
As for RAM, do like Dhlucke said, however there is PC3000 out now, but I dunno if AMD plans to make use of it on their CPUs yet!

In any case, good luck, but to me, the AMD system would be much better!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

I take it you're doing this as an experiment to learn then?

You have an Intel so stay with Intel. Do you have a reason to switch?

If you go AMD please stay away from any VIA chipsets. They have some serious nasty flaws with them. I would shoot for the IWill XP333. Has all the latest goodies. included is a 6 channel onboard sound which should rival you're current sound card. Also no VIA!

Intel i'm not sure about.

Just stay away from VIA! Oh ya buy nothing from KDS too! Horrible company. if it works great, if you need support good luck!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I would shoot for the IWill XP333. Has all the latest goodies. included is a 6 channel onboard sound which should rival you're current sound card.
Don't forget it supports the 333MHz and 400MHz bus if you want to overclock!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Man on 01/04/02 11:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Lots of replies, not enough help (at least it seemed to me).

The P4 is looking to be a very good platform with the release of Northwood. There are two things that will put Intel way ahead of AMD.

1. Future memory support. If Intel can quickly move to a 133(x4) bus with PC1066, it will help them out a lot.

2. Thoroughbred. It remains one of the biggest mysteries of the year. We practically know more about the GeForce 4 than Thoroughbred, and the GF4 hasn't even been announced yet (Feb 4, supposedly). It might topple Intel, and it might topple AMD. Preferably somewhere in between.

The Asus P4T-E is a good board, nice choice.

I'm not sure what you mean by the A7A266-E. There is an A7V266-E (KT266a chipset). I recommend the MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU, as it has USB2.0 support. It's only $129 at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">Newegg</A>. If you do mean the A7A266 or the A7V266-E and have decided on it, then go ahead.

But you're wondering about stability. Let's see...I put the heatsink on wrong when I installed my Tbird system...I bought a generic power supply...I had a badly ventilated case...I have generic memory...and my system is rock stable. Once I lost the generic power supply (it was taxed by my 3 hard drives, DVD-ROM and CD-RW), my system became completely stable, and has been ever since.

Is Intel more stable/easier to set up? Of course, don't listen to people that say otherwise. Is the difference enough to dissuade you from buying AMD? Not at all. At least, it shouldn't be.

Heat? P4s run hotter than AMD, but it's not really a big deal. As long as you have a decent heatsink and a decently ventilating PSU, you'll be ok. If you want, throw in a couple of powerful case fans, and take care of the dust in front of the computer.

You don't care about performance, so I won't go into that.

You'll probably be happy either way, so if you trust Intel more, go with Intel.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
FatBurger, excellent unbiased post!! However, I found a contradiction in your post.

But you're wondering about stability. Let's see...I put the heatsink on wrong when I installed my Tbird system...I bought a generic power supply...I had a badly ventilated case...I have generic memory...and my system is rock stable. Once I lost the generic power supply (it was taxed by my 3 hard drives, DVD-ROM and CD-RW), my system became completely stable, and has been ever since.
Is Intel more stable/easier to set up? Of course, don't listen to people that say otherwise. Is the difference enough to dissuade you from buying AMD? Not at all. At least, it shouldn't be.
First you say your AMD system is perfectly stable then you say Intel is more stable...which is it?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

dhlucke

Polypheme
That Duron system I have has everything generic and the worst case on the planet and it runs on the brink of stability. Since I'm not adding anything to it, I don't use it, and it's not stressed too much by my family I leave it be. I'm a real jerk to that machine though. At first I didn't have any case fans, but now I've at least settled for a $5 80mm intake fan so that Operation Flashpoint doesn't crash. I suppose I should add an exhaust fan too, but it works for now. I've ran that machine with no HSF and it didn't burn up so I'm not worried.

I'm much happier with my Thunderbird though which has good quality components. Ran perfect since the first day. Wouldn't recommend it any other way even though, yes, a system will work with generic components.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Either platform will be equally as stable, it all depends on hwo you set it up, liek your OS and drivers etc....

You say your not worried about the difference of 150 - 170FPS in a game therefore u say perofrmance doesnt matter....well ur choosign between a XP1900+ and a Pr 1.8GHz.....considerign the XP1900+ out performs the Pr 2GHz in just about everything, and by a wide margin in specific things.....I'd say the P4 1.8GHz is out of the question.....

Typically the P4 and the Athlon XP runs at about the Same temperature.....so the only thing you gotta worry about is case ventilation AKA Case Fans....that goes for either platform.....

The ASUS A7V266-E is a good choice (You said Asus A7A266-E, that board is un-heard of to me.....maybe it was just released ?)

And with overclocking......the XP CAN overclock decently.....maybe not as well as the previous Thunderbirds (in terms of % of overclock) but it can be done......

And as far as everyone talking about getting a good HSF etc. i dunno why.....everyone says that there Retial fans make there chips run hot.......I put together an Athlon XP 1700+ system (Retial CPU & Fan) with the Epox 8KHA+ and the system IDLES at 39 Celcious at doesnt go over 43 Celcious at MAX Load, playing games, running toast, etc......so i totaly recomend the Retail version for the XP, and as far as the P4 i heard they come with Decent coolers aswell....

Well i summed up about everthing i needed to say......take it as you wish.... =)

OH also, i wanted to say one more thing...about the whole easier to setup (Intel)...Thats not true.......the XP 1700+ system i was just talkign about that i built, all i did was Install XP, and Software (Windows Updates, Office XP, Adobe Photoshop, Video Card Drivers, etc.) I didnt put any Via 4-in-1's (which i previosuly did, and they made absolutley no difference) and it runs 100% rock solid stable........everthign functions properly.....infact, my Intel Celeron system I curently have is more of a pain in the @$$ to setup.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

eden

Champion
Hey Metal that is the CPU I am getting, can you tell me how silent is that Retail HSF?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...