Celeron 1.2 v. Athlon (tbird) 1.2 and SDRAM

G

Would there be any noticeable difference in performance between a Celeron 1.2 and an Athlon 1.2 using 256MB of cas3 PC100 memory (the motherboard only supports 100FSB)? I have been entertaining the thought of going for the Athlon 1.2, but with such strict memory limitations, I know I would not be getting the full benefit of the Athlon chip, so would it be performing at or around the same level as the Celeron 1.2, thus making the investment in the more expensive Athlon a waste? I am not going to purchase new RAM just for a processor upgrade at this time, so I would be using the memory modules listed above with the Athlon.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

G

Hmm.. you already seem to have a motherboard. If its for intel cpu's it simply wont work with an Athlon or Duron.

Upgrading to a 1.2 Celeron is also likely to be impossible, unless when you buy the over expensive slotket adapter, in which case I think it would make more sense to buy a new motherboard and ram anyway. What config do you have currently ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
As I proved in my post on the "what to do with this old machine" thread, the duron1200 is faster than the celeron1200 when both use sdram, I would assume the athlon tbird 1200 would be faster, and cheaper as well.

Go with the athlon.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!