Sign in with
Your question

Required CPU speed for games

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2002 11:57:21 AM

I currently have a PIII-450 with a Creative Labs Geforce DDR card.

To upgrade my system it would be cheaper to go with a Celeron 1.2, as I then wouldn't have to upgrade my case, PSU or RAM.

I know you can go faster than this (i.e. Duron / Athlon), but realistically what is the max processor speed needed to run the latest games, i.e. is the Duron / Athlon going too far when I could just buy a cheap Tualatin 1.2 Celeron and mobo? Would it run say Doom III when that comes out? Would I notice much difference between Celeron 1.2 & Athlon XP when playing games, as frame rates above 100 say are irrelevant IMO?

Cheers!

Shane.
January 4, 2002 1:19:49 PM

To tell you the truth, I've been hearing that no current hardware is fast enough to run Doom III, Quake 4 and Unreal2 at 60fps or more. This is of course a rumour but I would go for something decent now to aviod upgrading very soon. Look for at minimum a 1.7GHz P4 or an Athlon XP 1600+ and a GeForce3 Ti500 or Radeon 8500 if you want any hope of being able to play the upcoming games smoothly.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 4, 2002 4:13:31 PM

That sounds more like an attempt by manufacturers and software companies trying to get people to spend money. The industry is desperate right now.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
Related resources
January 4, 2002 4:22:53 PM

Perhaps...

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 4, 2002 5:17:38 PM

I believe it when I see it when the new Quake and Doom requires that much horse power. My p2 450 with a TNT2 ultra runs Quake3, Unreal Tournament and Wolfenstein just fine right now at 80 FPS. I figure that when the new games come out a midrange geforce and maybe a higher end p3 chip will do just fine. Not everybody needs 200 FPS at 1600x1200 resolution. Just an opinion. :-)

Are you the friend who works on computers? :cool:
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2002 6:03:15 PM

YOur board probably supports the Powerleap iP3t adapter with the Celeron 1.2GHz Tualatin processor, those two parts and a cooler can be had as a kit for $169, negating the need to upgrade your motherboard.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 4, 2002 6:12:46 PM

Quote:
YOur board probably supports the Powerleap iP3t adapter with the Celeron 1.2GHz Tualatin processor, those two parts and a cooler can be had as a kit for $169, negating the need to upgrade your motherboard.

Crashman, are you selling these things or something? <g> It seems to be your stock answer to almost any question at the moment :wink:

Thorin
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2002 11:32:40 PM

LOL, I just like the BX chipset, regret selling my BX platform and ordered another one. The iP3/T combo can save people a lot of work and a little money, I think I'll order one for myself and jump Vid2 to raise the core voltage to 1.675v, then overclock it to 1600MHz/133FSB like I've been telling everyone else to do. I still plan on building a new system (probably Athlon unless the Northwood can overclock to at least 3GHz and drops in price drastically), but having a spare sitting around it a very good thing!

January 4, 2002 11:46:00 PM

Ditto, my PII-300+GeForce DDR was able to run Q3A with liquid frame rates, and the processor was ancient. I personally would estimate that any 1GHz or greater processor is all you will need for games for a long time to come.

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
January 4, 2002 11:55:11 PM

edit that post quick...

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
January 5, 2002 1:07:59 AM

Quote:
I still plan on building a new system (probably Athlon unless the Northwood can overclock to at least 3GHz and drops in price drastically)

Will you go with an nForce board? I know how much you "love" Via.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2002 1:47:59 AM

Maybe the Iwill XP333, unless a better SiS 735/745 board comes along.

January 5, 2002 7:36:09 AM

Quote:
p2 450 with a TNT2 ultra runs Quake3, Unreal Tournament and Wolfenstein just fine right now at 80 FPS.

And I bet it looks like [-peep-], there are more advantages to having a decent system than high fps, you can turn on all visual effects and quality and have a better gaming experience.

Playing return to castle wolfenstein at 640x480 with total low detail mode@60fps does NOT sound appealing to me.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 5, 2002 9:02:55 AM

I'd probably say the minimum to run today's games in full detail at a good resolution at a good fps (60+) would probably be a p3 866 with 256mb ram and a geforce2 video card. Although the requirements will deffinately go up, at least in regards to the video card. If you are upgrading your system for games, I'd suggest you get the fastest equipment you can afford, because there will be games that will need it eventually.

<i>The devil's advocate</i>
January 5, 2002 9:07:23 AM

Quote:
And I bet it looks like [-peep-], there are more advantages to having a decent system than high fps, you can turn on all visual effects and quality and have a better gaming experience.

Playing return to castle wolfenstein at 640x480 with total low detail mode@60fps does NOT sound appealing to me.

matisaro if you are going to troll, you shouldn't use profanity as it it makes you appear even more immature

January 5, 2002 10:51:38 AM

Lol, and how is that trolling? Run along little pre-teen troll!

January 5, 2002 7:17:53 PM

lol.. sorry, I'm post-teen. Although those were some fun years.

January 5, 2002 7:22:26 PM

but you sound like a 9 year old kid who loves to whine!

January 5, 2002 11:01:23 PM

Quote:
matisaro if you are going to troll, you shouldn't use profanity as it it makes you appear even more immature

And saying that someone is trolling when they're not only makes you look stupid and desperate AND immature. Maybe you should quit looking so hard to slam certain people and just stick to the subject matter.

Anyway ... I have a hard time believing that I won't be able to run Quake 4 or Doom 3 with my current system. Right now on my Athlon XP 1900+ system, I can run the new IL-2 game at 1600x1200 with all details turned up to maximum. I can't imagine the new games will be such a quantum leap ahead that they won't run decently.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>
January 6, 2002 12:13:21 AM

This is, of course, only a rumour. I doubt game developers would risk making games that no one can play.

January 7, 2002 1:35:16 PM

To a point, gaming, is subjective.
You have a 32 inch quality tv, you're used to it.
Your friend has a 27 inch cheapo. Bla !
Your other friend has a 20 inch tv, he sees the 27 inch and wow !
So, it's what you expect to see, and what you are satisfied in seing that counts, not numbers or other people's opinions.
My duron 750, tnt 2 m64 gives me 50/55 fps in Q3 at medium to high quality settings and that is perfect "for me".
Yes, the upgrade argument is continuously valid, however.
Also, know thi games, because some are much more cpu dependant, others much more vid dependant. Check reviews on the games you are interested in.

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"
January 7, 2002 1:49:12 PM

If I had to reccomend a good minimum cpu investment for 1 full year of gaming, I would suggest NOTHING less than.

1.2ghz athlon(or duron)

and for the intel fan, I would accept NOTHING less than a 1.6ghz p4 with rdram, and 2ghz if you get suckered into sdram.

That is enough cpu power to feed the current graphics cards to their best potential, and they have enough room to spare for the video cards to be released 6 months from now.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
!